Game of Thrones faces in Pillars of Eternity

I want to say first that I really like the portrait art of the games, but after seeing Facina today I immediately saw a darker-skinned bastard from Dorne. It is not the first time a famous genre character is very obvious as the art inspiration for a Pillars of Eternity portrait. I wondered how people thought about this.

See Renengild and Catelyn Stark or now in Deadfire Facina (unsure about the spelling of her name) and Ellaria Sand.

vkXBg9P.jpg

• Like 3

If fans want to use those portraits, nothing stopping them, but Obsidian is going to stay away from portraits looking a huge lot like GoT characters because copyrights. Being inspired by is certainly possible though.

I don't watch GoT, so, I really have no opinion here.

• Like 1

If fans want to use those portraits, nothing stopping them, but Obsidian is going to stay away from portraits looking a huge lot like GoT characters because copyrights.

Well, those are actual portraits from the game. Facina is a sidekick in Deadfire, and Renengild an NPC in the White March expansion. That's the point of my post.

Edited by iscalio

The NWN gnome companion was Spock. His portrait was replaced.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Well, artists do portraits they are asked to do. Most probably they are not characters created by them so it's only reasonable they look for inspiration here and there.

Say if you were an artists and Josh came and said to you "I have this character in mind, Fassina, who is like this and that, see what you can do" you most probably gonna look to a known to you character with similar characteristics for inspiration.

Another thing that might be possible iis that the developers made the choice on purpose. Like they wanted an Ellaria Sand in their game so they came up with Fassina which is an Eoran take of her. This happens all the time.

In the original portraits, for instance, there was a male human that looked a lot like Conan the barbarian :p   Pretty sure it was done on purpose :p

Edited by Sedrefilos

???????
:) I don’t watch GoT either. I saw first half of pilot episode and decided that if I feel like watching bunch of boobs there are better places to find those than HBO. Not my cup of tea what I am trying to say. Edited by Wormerine

???????
:) I don’t watch GoT either. I saw first half of pilot episode and decided that if I feel like watching bunch of boobs there are better places to find those than HBO. Not my cup of tea what I am trying to say.

I believe the "??????????" of TheisEising was going to "if you don't have an oponion on this, why do you post in the first place?" :p

GoT carried away with the sexibition in the first few seasons. Then they cut it (thankfully) and decide to cut the writing quality as well :p There are way better series for charachter build and intrigue if you're interested in that ('cause that pretty much what GoT used to be) and if you want to have this in a fantasy setting, well, games do a far better job imo.

• Like 2

If fans want to use those portraits, nothing stopping them, but Obsidian is going to stay away from portraits looking a huge lot like GoT characters because copyrights. Being inspired by is certainly possible though.

Likeness, not copyright.

And I see some similarity, but they are clearly not portraits of the actors, so there is no violation.

• Like 1

GOT got criticized for being sexist to which the obvious reply would have been "yes, it's trying to be an authentic medieval setting, with a dragon here or there thrown into the mix". In any case they reduced the amount of female lower body nudity and increased the amount of male lower body nudity and lowered the overall amount of sex scenes.

Edited by Gliese581

GOT got criticized for being sexist to which the obvious reply would have been "yes, it's trying to be an authentic medieval setting, with a dragon here or there thrown into the mix". In any case they reduced the amount of female lower body nudity and increased the amount of male lower body nudity and lowered the overall amount of sex scenes.

Man,  I don't want any nudity. Also, it is a bit more than a dragon here and there. Not to mention that rape was never as common as it was made out to be in those kinds of arguements. For example, women under Edward 1 could sue their rapists, Islamic invading armies have very few records of rape, and peasant women often did the same work as their male counterparts. GoT takes way more from the Modern Era than either Middle Ages, what with all the trading/continental politics/ European-Middle East exchange

I can see it for the first pair, but the second two look not even remotely alike.

Same here. About the only similarity are the eye shadows and generally curly hair for the second pair.

I admit the picture I found for Ellaria Sand does not fit the artwork that well (at least not compared to the other one, in which the whole composition is obviously inspired by the picture I posted of Catelyn Stark), but if you look at more pictures of the character you should see the enormous resemblance. Jawline, nose, mouth, even the sneer-like expression - in all of it Facina is Ellaria Sand. She is therefore also the first ocean folk art that clearly does not depict an African face, but rather an Indo-European face with dark skin.

Maybe I am more sensitive to these things. Maybe I am just deluded and see things that aren't there. Still interesting to have read the replies, so thank you for the feedback.

Edited by iscalio

I want to say first that I really like the portrait art of the games, but after seeing Facina today I immediately saw a darker-skinned bastard from Dorne. It is not the first time a famous genre character is very obvious as the art inspiration for a Pillars of Eternity portrait. I wondered how people thought about this.

See Renengild and Catelyn Stark or now in Deadfire Facina (unsure about the spelling of her name) and Ellaria Sand.

Eh not close enough to where I would have thought about it without you putting them side by side. So not a big deal.

I am sure GOT got criticized for a great many things. So what?

It is not the first time a famous genre character is very obvious as the art inspiration for a Pillars of Eternity portrait. I wondered how people thought about this.

This is a pretty baseless assumption. There are only so many human facial features one can come up with when designing a realistic human character. The artist could potentially not even know what Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire is, and could still produce a character who resembles one of the 17 bajillion characters in GoT OR any other existing story, to be honest.

This is like saying "Oh, you and this other guy look very similar, so it's obvious that you're both sired by the same father." Nope. Some people look almost identical and are not at all related.

Now, you could guess that this is the case, and it's possible it's the case, but it is not obvious where the artist's inspiration came from, or their reasons for designing the character thusly. Going a step further, Game of Thrones is not the first story ever to have a character like Catlyn or a character like Ellaria, nor are those actresses the first people to look like that.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u