Update #41 - From the Feed of the Director Part IV

Greetings! Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Producer, Katrina Garsten, is here to not only help us dive into what Game Director, Josh Sawyer, has been putting up on his social media, but also has an update on some merchandise offered to Backers. We'll get to the merchandise after the video, so for now, let's have Katrina take it away!

Thanks for the video, Katrina! But that isn't all from our awesome Producer. She's back to let us know about some of the rewards you can get when you pledge for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.

In our first bit of exciting news, Obsidian is proud to announce that mobile fiction platform Bound and NY Times bestselling fantasy author Richard Knaak have partnered with us to publish and write the Pillars of Eternity novella! Author Richard Knaak has written for such series as Warcraft, Diablo, Dragonlance, Age of Conan, and Iron Kingdoms universes, as well as his own popular Dragonrealm. Backers will be receiving a pdf of the novella on the Backer Portal when available, while the mobile version will be released in chapters on Bound afterwards.

In other news, production for physical rewards is underway. We're having samples created and will move on to mass production later this year. Obsidian is happy to announce that Novobox is assisting us with the majority of our physical item creation and packaging. You can already see a sample of their work, the adorable space pig plushie, in our crowdfunding video! We're also excited to show you the final poses and 3D images of our Od Nua statue and 28mm miniatures. The images we're sharing are the concept art that will be used to make the items, and not indicative of the final product.

Our Od Nua sculpture, created by talented Character Artist, Dimitri Berman!
deadfire-eothas-front.jpg
deadfire-eothas-view-1.jpg
deadfire-eothas-view-2.jpg

28mm miniature pewter figurines, also sculpted by Dimitri Berman and posed by Animator, Seth McCaughey.
deadfire-aloth-mini.jpg
deadfire-eder-mini.jpg
deadfire-pallegina-mini.jpg

As we continue to finalize artwork and get samples created, we will share photos with you every step of the way.

--Katrina Garsten, Producer, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Thanks, Katrina! If you were waiting to see what the physical items were before pledging for them, remember that you have until October 31st to upgrade or get those pledges in!

We also want to remind you all that the DLC survey we currently have out will be closing this Friday, October 20th. The survey doesn't take long to complete and will help inform us greatly on how we can approach DLC for our games. We appreciate the time given to the survey greatly!

Lastly, the deluxe edition of Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach, the card game based on in the Pillars universe, is on sale exclusively at the Zero Radius Games website. The regular edition is sold out and only a few copies of the deluxe edition are available, now at 35% off! Get one while they last!

loer-box.png

Stay tuned for an update with information on our upcoming backer beta. Until next time!

If you missed the last update on multiclassing and subclassing, check it out here.

• Like 13

On Twitter @MikeyDowling

Is that platform area going to be used for scripted events like various public events ingame or maybe for non-lethal duels or something.

Also, nearly a month ago, Josh Sawyer posted an image of a crew member that recieved no less than seven wounds (don't know if the 'beguiler' bit counts as a wound), does getting injuries at sea work differently than the party getting injuries? Just wondering how you reconcile a crew member having 6 or 7 wounds and not dying while party members can only recieve three before the next one killing them. It's possible that image is of a bug and that crew member is supposed to be dead.

Edited by smjjames

Why is Ydwin smiling now? :blink:

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I don't see the Collected Pillars of Eternity I Novellas Omnibus Version as a download in My Products tab. I'm on the Elite Collector's + Statue tier, so I should have that. Am I looking wrong?  

Is that platform area going to be used for scripted events like various public events ingame or maybe for non-lethal duels or something.

Also, nearly a month ago, Josh Sawyer posted an image of a crew member that recieved no less than seven wounds (don't know if the 'beguiler' bit counts as a wound), does getting injuries at sea work differently than the party getting injuries? Just wondering how you reconcile a crew member having 6 or 7 wounds and not dying while party members can only recieve three before the next one killing them. It's possible that image is of a bug and that crew member is supposed to be dead.

The image was a funny bug that we saw during one of our review meetings. Injuries work the same at sea.

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

The image was a funny bug that we saw during one of our review meetings. Injuries work the same at sea.

That would explain it then. :) The addition of the beguiler thing in the injury list did seem odd.

Well, as Smijjames mentioned many users, me included, were pointing out that she looked too tired  :grin:

I see that Lindsey also slightly adjusted the background and her clothing.

P.S. Interesting what exactly does Pommel Strike do (i.e. what its damage bonus / stun duration is)? In the end it has the cost of 4 discipline compared to knockdown costed just 1.

Edited by MaxQuest

Well, as Smijjames mentioned many users, me included, were pointing out that she looked too tired  :grin:

I see that Lindsey also slightly adjusted the background and her clothing.

I don't think she looked too tired. Sort of looks like maybe her skin was made less ashen, which is probably what inspired the vampire comparisons. Although she does look a little tired in this iteration, her eyes do at least. Critics gonna be critics. Does look better than previously though.

Basically Lindsey paid attention to criticism and adjusted how the devs want her to be percieved.

Fessina is now the somewhat serious one, but it's a "I don't give a *bleep*." sort of serious.

"upcoming backer beta"

I have understood only this 3 words, thay alone are worth the update. Need to buy a new pc ASAP.

Why buy when you can BUILD ONE FOR LESS! 8D!

I'm pretty excited for Deadfire! All these infos and tidbits of nougaty goodness. I should probably stop being a slowpoke and actually finish the first game. :\

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

sidekicks:

1) standard voice set

2) unique portrait

3) introductory quest related conversations

It seems they will be quite a bit more shallow than I hoped for after initial pitch. No banter, no character conversation (whats your backstory.) I am afraid they might end up sweeping floor back on the ship after initial quest is done.

Because they filmed this update with a zoomed in camera, It makes me wonder if they use any LOD on 3D assets, it would seem like they don't. I wonder if that is something they could do though. I know the models all start from a higher fidelity base.

sidekicks:

1) standard voice set

2) unique portrait

3) introductory quest related conversations

It seems they will be quite a bit more shallow than I hoped for after initial pitch. No banter, no character conversation (whats your backstory.) I am afraid they might end up sweeping floor back on the ship after initial quest is done.

I hope banter is ON.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91677-the-dwarven-companion-recovery-front/page-4?do=findComment&comment=1888344

The image there is dead, but I got my answer from one of the devs, and it was positive back then...

• Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...