Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I can't tell you how much I need a better-organized quest journal

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5055 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

What I don't like having to do is consult the web in order to locate a character mentioned in a journal entry that I'd already met once... somewhere, a few weeks ago in RL time. At least give me a mouse-over hint.

smjjames

smjjames

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
PoE didn't have quest markers, so, we can safely say that Deadfire won't have them. I like the more subtle cue of an NPC saying something since you can just ignore it.

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3062 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

PoE didn't have quest markers, so, we can safely say that Deadfire won't have them. I like the more subtle cue of an NPC saying something since you can just ignore it.

I don't like that subtle clue, since you can easily miss it. I like having quest markers.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2302 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I like a sprinkling of subtle and coy quests/opportunities. But generally I think the key is not so much whether to quest cues are subtle or not, rather that you have to do some thinking to get at their meaning. Little logic or word puzzles, where it's not so much about catching obscure details but putting two things together. Descriptions of places with noticeable landmarks are better ways for locate places of interest, rather than escaping out of in-world content in favor of mechanic handholds and billboards.

Trogdor

Trogdor

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Adding some sort of filter function to the quest log would be nice, based on location/region. In Pillars II it could be linked to a particular Island or area within a larger island.

EDIT: Locations would be based on what your character knows. If the quest location is unknown.. it would be placed under unknown. As you uncover more information, the quest could be moved to a location.

Edited by Trogdor, 11 November 2017 - 01:38 AM.

• Lephys likes this

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
cole_int.jpg

In-dialogue notebook/journal.

Edited by Osvir, 13 November 2017 - 04:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users