Deadfire: Known Information

There is one thing though,.. you can learn a lot by lurking and keeping an eye on player-to-player discussions, but what if you have a direct question, or some interesting and crazy idea and would like the quick help of collective mind in order to outline the potential shortcomings?)

I almost wish he'd make a "fake" account and actually post on here as just some random theorycrafter, heh.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

There is one thing though,.. you can learn a lot by lurking and keeping an eye on player-to-player discussions, but what if you have a direct question, or some interesting and crazy idea and would like the quick help of collective mind in order to outline the potential shortcomings?)

In that vein, Josh did a Twitter poll on Monday regarding whether to keep both "Easy" and "Story Time" difficulty modes in the game.

(In this case, the venue makes sense.  Folks hanging around the Obsidian forums--or the subreddit, or the hundreds-of-pages-long SA thread-- months prior to the game's release are probably not the kind of players who use either of those game modes.)

Oh that sucks that it was just on Twitter as I flatout refuse to join any social media platform. One of the best additions to PoE for me was Story Time. I hope somebody from Obs is reading this as Story Time is awesome for older gamers like me with limited game-playing time but with a passionate preference for such things as exploration, roleplaying, lore and story over combat.

• 4 weeks later...

I almost wish he'd make a "fake" account and actually post on here as just some random theorycrafter, heh.

am confident this happened, though not recent. 

there were a couple instances following poe release when a curiously knowledgeable poster with no posting history offered insights 'bout game features/classes which were not being enthusiastic embraced by the community.  turn o' phrase and stylistic peculiarities made josh the likely sub-rosa Defender o' the Faith.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Today's Q&A has provided more information that would definitely be worth adding to the original post.

That said, I'm planning to wait on two things before updating the initial post: 1) the beta, which will provide us with a lot more information starting tomorrow, and 2) (hopefully) Fereed's transcript, so I don't have to work as hard lining up sources for everything I jot down.

• Like 1

Today's Q&A has provided more information that would definitely be worth adding to the original post.

That said, I'm planning to wait on two things before updating the initial post: 1) the beta, which will provide us with a lot more information starting tomorrow, and 2) (hopefully) Fereed's transcript, so I don't have to work as hard lining up sources for everything I jot down.

I respect the virtue of laziness.

• Like 4

I've added/updated information on the list based on the answers from Q&A 7.

For the time being, I'd rather play the beta than write about it (I'm not sure why I didn't see that coming on the 14th), so I'm just adding a couple links to videos others have made of the Deadfire beta.

I know the penetration system is already quite maligned, but I thought I'd malign it some more!

Does anyone else feel like it's a bit Pokémon-ey? Like it feels like attacks where penetration is below AR are "not very effective" while attacks where penetration is double AR are "super effective".

Even if they adjust the levels, it feels like a bit of a crude and over simplistic way to balance the game. If they had a good handle on the damage output characters were capable of and had successfully balanced all classes, it seems like they wouldn't need to resort to scalars to keep things in check - they could just pitch the old system of DR at the right level. It feels like they've resorted to this system in an attempt to make the damage anyone can do much more uniform, because that in itself dampens the capability for certain abilities to be overpowered (which they really struggled with balancing in PoE 1, hence the inordinate amount of balance fixes).

Maybe they'll sort something with the results of the beta, but it does for now feel clumsy.

Edited by Jojobobo
  • Like 1

*Eyes Lephys suspiciously*

That's the kind of thing a fake account would say to make it look like they were not a fake account...

*Straps Lephys into a chair and shines four lights in his face*

There are FIVE lights!

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams