As all subclasses are revealed, anyone feel disappointed at the Paladin and Priest subclasses? As all of them are same as POE 1, no new content is added to them. I myself was hoping we can choose Pallegina's paladin subclass in POE 2 because wraith of five sun is really cool but unfortunately that's still companion ONLY.

• Like 1

Like I know its unfair for priest and paladin to have more faction/talents in POE 1 than other classes, but since now every other classes has something new on the table, I hope to see new factions for these two classes too, even it means we cannot pick some of the old factions.

Edited by dunehunter

The moment a player is given access to NPC-only races, classes, and abilities, the same stop feeling special and become mundane. Personally I’m glad we can’t belong to Pallegina’s order in Deadfire.

• Like 10

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

There are A LOT of subclasses already especially for spellcasters. Deadfire’s philosophy seems to be: similar amount of content but more depth. I prefer that they focus on expanding on existing mechanics rather then “sequelizing” PoE2 by adding shallow additions for numbers sake (more maps, more classes, more races MORE MORE MORE) without fixing any issues the game had.

Especially in case of the Five-Suns order it makes little sense to make it available to the player. It is for males (and godlikes if you have a good lawyer) only and it ties your character to Valian Republic. It makes no sense with the story, would force you to ally with one faction only in Deadfire etc.

• Like 3

One might think of it in terms of Paladins and Priests being ahead of the curve. I.e. they already had subclasses, whereas the other classes did not. Presumably their spell lists will still be changing in various ways, as will their availability.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

One might think of it in terms of Paladins and Priests being ahead of the curve. I.e. they already had subclasses, whereas the other classes did not. Presumably their spell lists will still be changing in various ways, as will their availability.

For priests devs have already stated that their spell lists are different between each diety and each diety at least gets a few unique spells that the others do not.

I'm happy as long as we get more lore and background information. I feel a bit lost playing a character belonging to an order in POE. Isn't there a lot of stuff I ought to know unless my character is suffering from amnesia, in which case I wouldn't know what is expected of me in terms of behavior?

Take the Bleak Walkers. I tried to find information online about them but only found little tidbits. It seems they're a mercenary-like order that are very brutal in order to create fear in their opponents and that they wont cancel out a contract they already started. I got that from a post by Josh I think. All fine and good, but what about their origins, the internal structure of the order, is it like opening up a hells angels charter where you and a few buddies can apply to become members or is there a definitive headquarter out there that runs everything? Presumably a large number of them gather up if they take on big contracts to kill villages whathaveyou, how is that connected to the player? I feel like I know virtually nothing.

• Like 1

The moment a player is given access to NPC-only races, classes, and abilities, the same stop feeling special and become mundane. Personally I’m glad we can’t belong to Pallegina’s order in Deadfire.

Good point.

This made me thinking how good would be a compromise route? I.e. MC paladin can join Pallegina's order from character creation or even better via some mid-game quest; while custom hirelings - can't.

I was really hoping for Woedica being added as a deity option, but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere.

Wouldn't it be nuts to actually have that, but have it a "hidden option" only if you *spoiler alert into spoiler and put the spoiler in the spoiler* in the End of the first game?

I'm still keeping my Priest Eothasian (though i might give him a Kind Wayfarer second class, 'specially since Pallegina will also be one according to my ending.)

• Like 2

I wanted to worship Abydon, but I guess the closest thing is being a Knight of the Crucible paladin, since they are all about Abydon. (edit: duh, I just noticed paladins cannot be a KotC, which makes sense in POE1)

For priests devs have already stated that their spell lists are different between each diety and each diety at least gets a few unique spells that the others do not.

And this is why they chose not to expand the available deities. They have extra subclasses as it is. :biggrin:

Edited by PugPug

Also, you can't be from the Valian Republics, which makes it make even less sense. Hell, it hardly makes sense to be a Darcossi Paladini if you're not from Old Valia, but they backed themselves into a corner on that front by allowing it in Pillars.

Can't agree there. The Darcozzi family is spread out now. No reason an enterprising knight/Adventurer who got on the good side of the local family lord/member in the Living Lands can't join the guard who protect that lord and the family's interests. Outsiders did join the mafia after it left Italy and Russia. The Byzantine Elite guard were a bunch of Vikings and Byzantines could join them etc lots of examples.

To the recent post it makes no sense at this point unless you get a mid game quest. To be honest when it comes to being a Paladin I don't think they should let you change orders. It's not something that's done easily considering it takes a particularly Zealous individual to a cause to become one to begin with.

What *spoiler tag*

Happens to Pallegina seems to me a rare circumstance.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

What cause does the Bleak Walkers and the Goldpact Knights have? To make money? They seem like straight up mercenaries to me from what lore I've been able to gather. They have their quirks perhaps in methods or such but it doesn't seem like something you wouldn't be able to leave for a new paladin order.

As all subclasses are revealed, anyone feel disappointed at the Paladin and Priest subclasses? As all of them are same as POE 1, no new content is added to them.

Think of it this way:

These 2 classes (priest and paladin) were the only ones already with a subclass in the first game! That leaves us with 9 classes without a subclass. sad-panda.jpg

But now in Deadfire all 11 classes will have such a feat! Justice is finally being served! #progress #hooray

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Also, you can't be from the Valian Republics, which makes it make even less sense. Hell, it hardly makes sense to be a Darcossi Paladini if you're not from Old Valia, but they backed themselves into a corner on that front by allowing it in Pillars.

Can't agree there. The Darcozzi family is spread out now. No reason an enterprising knight/Adventurer who got on the good side of the local family lord/member in the Living Lands can't join the guard who protect that lord and the family's interests. Outsiders did join the mafia after it left Italy and Russia. The Byzantine Elite guard were a bunch of Vikings and Byzantines could join them etc lots of examples.

To the recent post it makes no sense at this point unless you get a mid game quest. To be honest when it comes to being a Paladin I don't think they should let you change orders. It's not something that's done easily considering it takes a particularly Zealous individual to a cause to become one to begin with.

What *spoiler tag*

Ah the Varangian Guard!  Comprised of pissed off elite Saxon warriors who left England after the battle of Hastings and the Norman Conquest.  EDIT: I am referring to the Varangian Guard in the late 11th century of course.

Edited by FlintlockJazz

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

What cause does the Bleak Walkers and the Goldpact Knights have? To make money? They seem like straight up mercenaries to me from what lore I've been able to gather. They have their quirks perhaps in methods or such but it doesn't seem like something you wouldn't be able to leave for a new paladin order.

I hear you but its specifically how they do it.  I am not saying a Bleak Walker cannot have a change of heart and become a Goldpact Knight but...the personality it takes to be a Bleak Walker is not easily overcome.  It is usually a very aggressive individual.  Something frowned upon by Goldpact Knights.  Someone who is used to killing unarmed prisoners (they take no quarter after a refusal of surrender it says it in their description and is likely part of their ethos), women, children you name it is not going to LOVE being told hey WAIT! the Noble who hired us says has changed his mind and wants to ransom all the prisoners, which GK Paladins are willing to do (It also says it in their Ethos.  They shift on the desire of the employer.  Their loyalty is to the pact/contract.  Which leads them to be loyal to the employer and their whims until the job is done.  Bleak Walkers are in no way the same.

Again I am not saying someone cant have a change of heart but that TYPE of person is not likely to.

What *spoiler tag*

Ah the Varangian Guard!  Comprised of pissed off elite Saxon warriors who left England after the battle of Hastings and the Norman Conquest.  EDIT: I am referring to the Varangian Guard in the late 11th century of course.

Ah a history buff like me :)  I like that about Paladins in this game.  They are warrior societies that have a common goal.  Could be religious but maybe not.  Reminds me a lot of medieval elite guards in history and the Game of Thrones Brotherhood Without Banners (Kind Wayfarers) or the Kingsguard (Darcozzi).

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Speaking about disappointments, I find that Goldpact order restrictions in PoE2 as they are announced are quite disappointing. Unability to use paladin's auras is rather frustrating. This leaves very narrow usage of such paladins...

Speaking about disappointments, I find that Goldpact order restrictions in PoE2 as they are announced are quite disappointing. Unability to use paladin's auras is rather frustrating. This leaves very narrow usage of such paladins...

Certainly its a selfish option but is it just me or do the Goldpact and Darcozzi seem awfully similiar. They both essentially put up a shield. Although presumably the Darcozzi shield retaliates.

Certainly its a selfish option but is it just me or do the Goldpact and Darcozzi seem awfully similiar. They both essentially put up a shield. Although presumably the Darcozzi shield retaliates.

I think they both suck. Unless the Flame Shield gets a huge buff. And the Goldpact armor buff well if you are in a door way where you can funnel enemies im sure it can be good but in a game with no aggro in an open area more DR will make the AI just ignore you.

Have gun will travel.

Does less damage against enemies vulnerable to Sneak Attack.

I'm curious about the interpretation of this Kind Wayfarers' restriction. Does it apply to every creature that is not immune to sneak attack? Or are there particular creatures that are especially vulnerable to a sneak attack?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Does less damage against enemies vulnerable to Sneak Attack.

I'm curious about the interpretation of this Kind Wayfarers' restriction. Does it apply to every creature that is not immune to sneak attack? Or are there particular creatures that are especially vulnerable to a sneak attack?

Good question I can deal with my Paladin being a less effective Alpha Striker. At the end of the day it's a Paladins defenses that make him/her shine. I'd like more clarification on that as well.

Have gun will travel.