The Metal Thread

Katphood

The band of a friend of a friend, I don't speak spanish, but I like it, it's a decent sound.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Immolation on their <<Final Atonement>> tour. As always they reliably melt my face off, but one of the opening acts really killed it that night as well.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hair goals right there.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty good

Seeing these guys live really is something to behold.

-Rod Serling

I don't know why, but there is just something about this song that makes me really happy ^^

Looking forward to the new album in April :)

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Not that long ago when that Nightwish video was released on YouTube there were a number of channels that made reaction videos to it. They were... everywhere the moment you watched the video.

I watche a few of them. It was hilarious. One of them even went (paraphrasing here) "This is a great critique of how with smartphones we've become tools of our technology, not the other way around. Huh. And I say this on social media? Well... like my video and hit that subscribe button!"

Right. Had a good laugh or two. The song itself is okayish. The video is great though.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

16 minutes ago, majestic said:

Not that long ago when that Nightwish video was released on YouTube there were a number of channels that made reaction videos to it. They were... everywhere the moment you watched the video.

I watche a few of them. It was hilarious. One of them even went (paraphrasing here) "This is a great critique of how with smartphones we've become tools of our technology, not the other way around. Huh. And I say this on social media? Well... like my video and hit that subscribe button!"

Right. Had a good laugh or two. The song itself is okayish. The video is great though.

I haven't seen any reaction video for this particular one, but I did watch a couple of reactions to their old songs, in particular one where they had to stop for a couple of minutes so that the girlfriend of the recorder could finish crying. If I remember correctly it was Ghost Love Score, and I'm not ashamed to admit that that can happen to me aswell 😃

It's good to hear Angela again :)

Edited by Azdeus

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

I haven't seen any reaction video for this particular one, but I did watch a couple of reactions to their old songs, in particular one where they had to stop for a couple of minutes so that the girlfriend of the recorder could finish crying. If I remember correctly it was Ghost Love Score, and I'm not ashamed to admit that that can happen to me aswell 😃

That was Half Life Sistah, and yeah, Gost Love Score. Although I think she also cried on a few other ones. ;)

As much as I like Floor and while I think she's killing all the stuff written after Tarja's departure, the only thing making me weep about Nightwish these days is Anette or Floor trying to sing songs written for Tarja. Annette never could and that was probably unfair to her (by the band, I mean) and Floor easily could but doesn't want to sing in her operatic style all that much, I guess? Not sure.

Someone cut together different live videos of Nightwish a few years back. Mostly Wacken 2013 and End of an Era, but there's also one from the From Wishes to Eternity tour:

Although this is by far and large the worst of the bunch in terms of quality (From Wishes to Eternity was ages ago) it showcases what I mean pretty well.

There's no arguing that Floor is much more flexible than Tarja, and I always thought that trying to push her into a more poppy voice starting with Century Child was a mistake - although I'm not entirely sure whose idea that was, maybe she wasn't pushed as much as she demanded it to be done - but honestly, Tarja owns the old songs, and Floor just doesn't. And that new live album from Buenos Aires suffers from it. A lot.

So, how long until the Floor fanboy brigade crucifies me? :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Oh, you're in trouble, they'll be coming to your house with tar and feathers in less than 39 hours! 😄

Haha, yeah, that was the one! I haven't watched any others of her, so I can't tell if she cries easilly or not :p I don't disagree that it was bad form to ask someone like Anette to sing songs she could never match, she's great in her own way

While I absolutely am a Floor fanboy, I would never claim she can do the operatic songs aswell as Tarja could who was trained mainly as an opera-singer, but I think she does damn well with many of them while still maintaining a width that Tarja never could come close to. I'm of the opinion that it sounds even better with Floors contrast.

I can't find the 1998 recording, I'm going to have to see if I have it on my home computer. I know I have it on VHS, but that's not much help 😂

I should say that I still do miss Tarja, but I really like Floor aswell, she does do Nightwish justice in my opinion - also Floorgasms.. 🤣

If memory serves me she was ill while recording this aswell, so it's not her at her absolute prime. Not to mention that she can growl aswell if she needs to! She pretty much nailed Phantom of the Opera when she performed it on Beste Zangers so she definetly can do opera if she wants to. I do think she doesn't want to "imitate" Tarja too much either, she doesn't want to be Tarja 2.0 in a way. She wants to make the songs her own. I assume, I'm just purely speculating on how I'd feel myself in that position.

Edit; It's taken me 3 hours to write this, soo many interruptions, and not to mention that I got stuck listening to both Floor and Tarja singing songs!

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, majestic said:

So, how long until the Floor fanboy brigade crucifies me?

It's like saying you liked Blaze and having everyone come by to tell you Bruce was better. 😛  Really forgot how high Tarja can go, haven't listened to Nightwish in ages.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra