The Metal Thread

Katphood

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

"Secretly" the best song off the greatest metal album of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzrwjAv0BO0

One of my favorite things about this song is how abruptly it ends. It does not overstay its welcome at all.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

-Rod Serling

Latest song from Rammstein, I've been looking forward to a new album for a long time.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

This guy has triggered a lot of metal fans for not taking it seriously or something.   :lol:

• Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I really like the guitar and the percussion that he does, but it'd be much more enjoyable without the vocals

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Found the vocals pretty funny, myself. Hard to really do stereotypical metal singing to acoustic and he's having fun with it

Difficult, yes, but not impossible :)

That said, it's not so much his style as his voice I think.

Edited by Azdeus

• 4 weeks later...

Serious metal.

• Haha 1

I could afford it, but being hearing impaired I won't go there and risk my hearing. I'd rather listen to recordings all my life than go to a concert and never listen to music again. :)

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I could afford it, but being hearing impaired I won't go there and risk my hearing. I'd rather listen to recordings all my life than go to a concert and never listen to music again. :)

Can't wear ear protection ?

22 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Can't wear ear protection ?

Well, sure, but then I know myself, and I'd do my best to end up near the stage and they will probably get jostled off. That and wearing plugs in the ears is insanely uncomfortable to me, it drives me nuts and wearing over ear protection is even worse, can't headbang with over-ears 😄

2 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Well, sure, but then I know myself, and I'd do my best to end up near the stage and they will probably get jostled off. That and wearing plugs in the ears is insanely uncomfortable to me, it drives me nuts and wearing over ear protection is even worse, can't headbang with over-ears 😄

Fair enough. Hm, maybe secure the headgear with a 80s style headband ?  

Last concert I went to was funny, had some guy near me giving me flak for wearing earplugs.  Extra points was for the irony of a guy clad in leather and skulls to a Maiden concert of all things doing so :lol:

• Haha 1

I had to get over the ears ear-pro for shooting as I hate all thing in-ear. The big thing for me is that it needs to go all the way around my ears or it gets uncomfy real fast. Had to shop around for a while until I found headphones that fit the bill too.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I had to get over the ears ear-pro for shooting as I hate all thing in-ear. The big thing for me is that it needs to go all the way around my ears or it gets uncomfy real fast. Had to shop around for a while until I found headphones that fit the bill too.

Hopefully those over the ears are tacti-cool.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Fair enough. Hm, maybe secure the headgear with a 80s style headband ?  

Last concert I went to was funny, had some guy near me giving me flak for wearing earplugs.  Extra points was for the irony of a guy clad in leather and skulls to a Maiden concert of all things doing so :lol:

I guess I'd have to pull all my hair forwards, then put on the over-ears and flip the hair back xD

It beats the tiara a friend gave me to keep the hair under control when I was growing it out. Atleast she got me to actually buy hairbands :p