About the PoE 1 -> 2 transition

Hello. I'm sure this has been asked but it's a big forum and I'm a small fireball with no idea what search query could find me the answer without having to poke through a hundred threads :(

I've heard that our Watcher's choices in PoE1 will have consequences on PoE2. For one, I wonder to what extent; will it affect character power in any way or will just people be like ah yup, there sure was no adra dragon flying out of the ground in the wake of Eothas' emergence because the Watcher killed her to death. But we all know she wouldn't bother anyone in Deadfire anyway, it's just nice to recognize the Watcher for it in casual banter.

I mean, PoE feels too modern to do like Baldur's Gate where you were decidedly weaker if you made a fresh BG2 charname rather than importing one that had picked up tomes. I think there was even extra loot to be had?

I am going to assume our choices will have some impact on character power, but I will also assume we can just say at PoE2 character creation (rather than import) that, in these crucial situations in PoE1 my Watcher did this and that. I certainly hope I don't have to first figure out which choices give me the best PoE2 situation and then actually make a playthrough where I side with the Dozens, help the vithrack in every case possible, reach EP14 but don't do anything more there, side with Berath but betray her for Rymrgand, avoid building the Chapel because doing so will cause Eothas to absorb power from the scrolls when he destroys it, and acquire exactly 3 points in stoic, clever and passionate whilst my sum of the other dispositions is a prime number. Or have to fabricate such a save.

Tell me I'm worrying over nothing and that there's no disadvantage to just creating a fresh PoE2 Watcher. Not that I don't have dozens to choose from, but from a powergaming PoV I don't want to have to go back to PoE1 to lay the best foundation to my awesomest possible PoE2 character.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Wonder if they'll do something like the Dragon Age Keep for Inquisition. That's probably the best option.

Please elaborate for those of us who haven't played it.

My Deadfire mods

@omgFIRABALLS,

you can get answers by looking up at the updates when you want to know something specific about the game, because, at this time, in forums there are only discussions/speculations. We don't have deeper knowledge about Deadfire other than what Obsidian has already revealed via updates.

But, to save you time looking up through the updates, here's what we know about the transition:

1) You start at level 1, powerless, no items, no Stronghold.

2) You can import your character with the choices you made during Pillars 1; what consequences they're gonna have in Deadfire we don't know and we won't know until we play the game :)

3) You can change class(es)/appearance of your old character.

4) You can start a new character. In this case there's gonna be a mechanism that let's you choose what you did in the 1st game, similar to Tyranny's "conquest". You can look it up in youtube.

About the Dragon Age Keep daven talks about it's basically a worldstate you create of all choices in all Dragon Age games. You save that "tapesty", as Bioware calls it, and, when you start Inquisition (and presumably every other Dragon Age game from now on) you can import your custom worldstate and the game recognises the choice it includes. Pretty neat, imo.

• Like 5

4) You can start a new character. In this case there's gonna be a mechanism that let's you choose what you did in the 1st game, similar to Tyranny's "conquest". You can look it up in youtube.

I do know Tyranny, and the conquest is pretty much what I was hoping for for a new character. That puts me quite at ease, thanks ^^

My Deadfire mods

1) You start at level 1, powerless, no items, no Stronghold.

To further elaborate on this, you still have a base of operations (which is what the stronghold was supposed to be), but it's now a ship, and the caretaker/warden lady does go with you. A part of her does at least.

You can and will have a ship crew (don't know if you can get away with not having one), pretty much every position that you'd expect a ship of the period to have, and you can add all sorts of rooms and components to the ship. Again, everything that you'd expect a ship of the period to have. The team thoroughly researched ships of the period for this.

Also, you start out with a Dyrwoodian sloop (I assume it's the same ship we see in the E3 video), but you can upgrade to bigger ships, there are some secret ships that you can find and accquire, and I hear that you could even obtain a Galleon or equivalent sized ship.

Thanks for all the replies. Now I'm gonna sidetrack a bit...

you can get answers by looking up at the updates when you want to know something specific about the game, because, at this time, in forums there are only discussions/speculations. We don't have deeper knowledge about Deadfire other than what Obsidian has already revealed via updates.

There is at present seemingly like 40 update videos and most of them aren't even linked on the forum. Furthermore, each of them naturally sparks a few pages of replies, which I'm sure hold even more information assuming Obsidian take the time to clarify a little here and there. And with all this, we're looking at, I might not say a ton of information but certainly a ton of media to browse to find it. The Deadfire wiki seems to have been last updated in... February? And it hasn't even attempted to speak of the game systems.

I would like to participate more here but it seems an overwhelming task to get up to speed. Your summary is exactly what I needed to understand the transition, but then there's attributes and dispositions and classes (x10 for emphasis) and combat systems and new stronghold mechanics and probably half a dozen more items I didn't think to mention now and half a dozen more that might be new to Deadfire that I will valiantly share an opinion about once I know about them.

My Deadfire mods

I know you don't know more than what's in those videos, but I don't even know what's in those videos (and their respective threads), and I was hoping someone had compiled the information somewhere, or just pieces of it. I'm not expecting anyone to share dirty secrets.

I mean, that's how wikis work isn't it.

So again, I'm not looking for an Obsidian developer or someone who has hacked their systems or seduced their way to inside info. I'm only after summaries by those who have been following the development. I fully realize I'm not entitled to it, but Wikipedia is brimming with summarized and source-linked information I'm not entitled to either. I'm hoping, I'm asking, I'm not expecting or demanding. Because I'd like to save hours of spare time digging through all those videos if possible. That's all.

My Deadfire mods

I didn't mean to attack you by any means. As far as I know no one has attempted to compile all those information just yet. What I wanted to point out that what you will hear from us might not be accurate as we interpret a lot of what we hear. I will try to mention couple things I think are interesting. I will post links to relevant videos. They are not long and they will really better explain (and in less time). It is by no means a complete list:

Before I start. Here is a gameplay demo from E3. It is te biggest chunk of the game which we have seen so far. It shows many of the features I will be writing about:

party limit is downsized to 5 - Obsidian stated they felt encounters in PoE got crowded and game would benefit from a smaller encounters. Response from community has been mixed. It seems less like a gameplay issue and more "I want more companions in my party all the time" issue. 

No more health/stamina - health system will be similar to Tyranny. You have one health pool this time around, if you fell in battle you gain injury, which gain penelty. Too many injuries and character dies. You can heal injuries by resting.

No per rest abilities - it seems Deadfire will move away from per rest abilities and spells. They don't want you to avoid using abilities. In case of casters now they will be able to cast 2 spells per spell level per encounter. To balance that it seems caster will be more limited with how much spells they can have at any given time. You will no longer learn spells and write them in Grimoires. Instead when leveling up you choose a spell you want to learn. Grimoires cannot be edited and expand the list of spells you can cast. 

There is per rest resource though. Those "power point" can be spent to empower an ability (raise it to a higher level - more damage, longer effect etc.) or spend the same recource to use already depleted abilities.

Multiclassing and subclasses! - you don't have to choose only one class anymore. At the character creation you can choose whenever your character will be single class, or multiclass. Multiclass characters should be more flexible but individual skills won't be as effective as pure class characters. On top of that each class has subclasses allowing you to further customize your class. The most recent update no. 40 has the most fresh info about all this stuff:

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=480#updates

Ships! Yes, you get your own ship this time around. Ship will be your stronghold. You will be able to get access to various types of ships. There will be crew management mechanic. It ties to a more open world design of Deadfire. While the game still consist of closed maps Infinity Engine style, the whole thing is connected via Fallout1&2 like overworld. There you can travel freely, discover new areas, have some random encounters. Here is the ship reveal video:

Relationship system! Deadfire attempts to deepen interactions with your companions. Each of them will have likes and dislikes and will observe you and react to your decisions/actions. They will also react to each other - they might like each other very much or some conflicts may appear. It is not entirely system driven content but rather preplanned, pre-written scenarios which will happen or not depending on game systems and your input. It might be possible to romance some of the companions if they like you very very much.

While we are at it - we have 7 companions with full story arch and relationship system implimented. three of them are returning companions: Eder, Aloth and Pallegina. In addition to that we get 4 sidekicks. Less reactive version of companions. They will have their own backstory, quips etc. but they won't have story arch (including personal quest) nor relationship system. More people to take with you but not as much work for writers.

Neketaka - Deadfire will feature one big city, Neketaka. It will house main factions of the game. Your interactions with them will be more complex than in PoE and it will take time before they "lock you" with one. It will also be made clear for the player when they get to the point with no return with the faction:

That's the main stuff off the top of my head. There are many more bits and pieces of information but it should give you the overall idea. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

this were confirmed? haven't been 'round much o' late, but am recalling how not long ago the fixed attributes o' a transferred character from poe to deadfire were a query rather than a given. would transfer work as does respec or could a player change class or race or background? 

just curious.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

this were confirmed? haven't been 'round much o' late, but am recalling how not long ago the fixed attributes o' a transferred character from poe to deadfire were a query rather than a given. would transfer work as does respec or could a player change class or race or background? 

just curious.

HA! Good Fun!

You can definitely change the class. You can definitely change the appearance, because the restructured graphics tech won't actually allow them to transfer appearances from the first game.

We may be able to change race & background.

we would have assumed appearance change regardless but am not recalling specific mention of class change.  do you have a source?

HA! Good fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

we would have assumed appearance change regardless but am not recalling specific mention of class change.  do you have a source?

HA! Good fun!

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/70wk4l/how_will_character_importing_work_in_poe_2/

Copypaste of Josh post:

In the game's intro, you have the ability to import a endgame (only) save game from Pillars 1. Your choices are imported as-is, but you're allowed to effectively create a new character with regard to sex, race, class, etc.

If you don't import a save game, you can load in an endgame state. We will have a small number of presets, but you will also be allowed to build your own or load in a file that someone else has built. In those cases, you're always building a character from scratch.

Edited by Enoch

I'm assuming the end game only save imports only endgame choices, and not all the choices you made earlier which represent the character you played through as? Or is it the all-encompassing final state that is generated upon hitting the credit roll? Because it sounds like if you want to change your race/class then your losing the bulk of your character for merely the final decision. But it's too ambiguous to really get at what is meant.

HA! Good fun!

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/70wk4l/how_will_character_importing_work_in_poe_2/

Copypaste of Josh post:

In the game's intro, you have the ability to import a endgame (only) save game from Pillars 1. Your choices are imported as-is, but you're allowed to effectively create a new character with regard to sex, race, class, etc.

If you don't import a save game, you can load in an endgame state. We will have a small number of presets, but you will also be allowed to build your own or load in a file that someone else has built. In those cases, you're always building a character from scratch.

much thanks.

we suspected such info must needs have been released within the last couple months as were news to us.

HA! Good Fun!

I'm assuming the end game only save imports only endgame choices, and not all the choices you made earlier which represent the character you played through as? Or is it the all-encompassing final state that is generated upon hitting the credit roll? Because it sounds like if you want to change your race/class then your losing the bulk of your character for merely the final decision. But it's too ambiguous to really get at what is meant.

The endgame you import will import choices you made that affected the world. It doesn't import your character. It doesn't import your dispositions. Josh gave an example that you might meet in deadfire a minor character who popped up at your stronghold for a minor interaction, for example.

It transfers all choices though which ones will affect Deadfire we have to wait and see.  I don't recall making a significant choice that was based on my race/class though. I mean that it had some serious concequence.

Wait, so you can even gender-swap your character...?  Will people at least comment on this?

I am not so sure. Back during FIG campaign during on of Q&A Josh confirmed that you will be able to change your imported character’s class and appearance - after all you are back to lvl. 1 and visuals are completely new so they can’t import your characters look. They were considering allowing you to change your character completely (race, sex) and said if that it will happen that it will be explained within lore.

Personally I would just prefer to ignore it, instead of every familiar NPC saying: “weren’t you a human male before?”

Wait, so you can even gender-swap your character...?  Will people at least comment on this?

I am not so sure. Back during FIG campaign during on of Q&A Josh confirmed that you will be able to change your imported character’s class and appearance - after all you are back to lvl. 1 and visuals are completely new so they can’t import your characters look. They were considering allowing you to change your character completely (race, sex) and said if that it will happen that it will be explained within lore.

Personally I would just prefer to ignore it, instead of every familiar NPC saying: “weren’t you a human male before?”

back during the campaign developers observed how they were as yet undecided 'bout what, if any, changes should be precluded during the character transition from poe to deadfire.  such an observation spawned a thread or two which had folks making suggestions 'bout how far the transition respec should go towards altering your poe character.  sex? background? class? etc.

doesn't much matter now as most such questions should be answered in less than a day. even so, there were little clarity regarding transition save for the roll-back to level 1... which in and of itself weren't initial definitive.

HA! Good Fun!

I, for one, find the possibility of genderswapping intriguing. 

The first character I import will be an Orlan Priest of Wael, who presented as male in Pillars 1.  But enjoying the effect that androgyny has on the perceptions of others seems like a very Wael-ish character trait-- give everyone a mystery to solve, rather than present the answer openly.  And maybe encourage them to challenge some of their underlying assumptions about sex and gender along the way.  So perhaps I'll switch him (her?  WHO REALLY KNOWS??!) to using female pronouns, voiceset, character model, etc., for Deadfire.  I wouldn't expect the game to notice, but I might find it amusing.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1