Hi!

Did any of you ever realize that Brutal Takedown only has to deal with 1/4 of enemies crush DR? I have no idea why but it may be related to the fixed damage it does (20 base)? Iconic Projection does the same and also has a fixed damage of 20.

I mean I always take it when I take Takedown because it adds more damage to the pet and Takedown itself is a nice CC option for a ranger - but I never really checked the combat log for the DR mechanics.

I also gets +50% damage when the pet crits (it has no seperate roll but uses the roll for Takedown. With the arctic fox which has 10 MIG I get 30 fixed crush damage on a crit).

Now I wonder: does Thorny Roots have the same mechanic? Because then it wouldn't be so bad after all. 

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

So it acts like a lash, basically, but with fixed damage. 50% net damage increase makes sense if it is the only additive damage multiplier. Is it increased if the fox’s Might is buffed (from a priest or such)?

Edited by Braven

I guess, I would have to cast Champion's Boon or so to test, but I'm like 90% sure.

Iconic Projection does profit from MIG, basically everything does.

Brutal Takedown doesn't profit from Merciless Companion and also not from Predator's Sense. Vicious Companion, VC's DR bypass and the innate DR bypass of the pet's natural weapons also seem to have no effect.

But nonetheless pretty handy to add 20-30 fixed damage to the Knockdowns. If I crit with it the fox already does 100+ damage now at lvl 10.

Edited by Boeroer

Yeah, that nice umlaut in the header :) I kinda like it and imagine how it's pronounced.

BTW, how complicated PoE mechanics is. So many nuances, hidden and unobvious details.

Edited by Moneo

Did any of you ever realize that Brutal Takedown only has to deal with 1/4 of enemies crush DR? <...> Iconic Projection does the same and also has a fixed damage of 20.

I re-read your original message and only after that I paid attention to this detail. Do you mean, that Iconic Projection has to overcome only 1/4 of enemy's Freeze DR?

Edited by Moneo

Yes. It used to ignore DR completely which made it very powerful. That might have been an oversught or bug. Then OBS patched this and said in the patch notes that Iconic Projection now has to overcome DR. They never said that it's only 1/4 of DR instead the full DR - or I completely missed that.

And now I wonder if Thorny Roots has the same mechanic, because this used to be fixed damage, too.

Did a quick test unsing my console-slinging skills and it turns out that Thorny Roots indeed only has to overcome 1/4 of pierce and slash DR. Supermighty ranger with crits could deal 2x 33 pierce / slash damage with 20 MIG and maxed out crit damage and kill an enemy with 5 binding roots in a row (66*5 = 330 vs, 0 DR). Because Binding Roots targets reflex and reflex gets lowered by stuck it's easy to crit at least with the last 4 uses...  

• Like 1

Did a quick test unsing my console-slinging skills and it turns out that Thorny Roots indeed only has to overcome 1/4 of pierce and slash DR. Supermighty ranger with crits could deal 2x 33 pierce / slash damage with 20 MIG and maxed out crit damage and kill an enemy with 5 binding roots in a row (66*5 = 330 vs, 0 DR). Because Binding Roots targets reflex and reflex gets lowered by stuck it's easy to crit at least with the last 4 uses...  

wow nice.

Have gun will travel.

Yes. It's really neat if you focus on this.

In my current run I use Sagani + fox again and they are a great team when it comes to taking out casters. The range of Binding Roots is very high so I can stuck/hurt them from a long distance where they can't use their spells yet (ahahaha pesky Adragans!) and follow with Persistence's wounding shots while the fox runs towards them and most of the time one-shots with a Brutal Takedown. Tougher foes are also done pretty quickly because of stuck, usually followed by a crit from the fox & the following prone and then crits all along.

And when things go south and I really want to take some enemy down as soon as possible I can chain those 5 thorny roots and usually get rid of them (if they don't have superhigh DR like Adra Animats or so).

By the way: I guess nobody knows how (Brutal) Takedown works with the stag's Carnage...?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1