A rundown of the companions and sidekicks available

There is no point to reading the tea leaves and examining and parsing game developer statements.

I don't know about Sawyer, but generally speaking, if you've ever known one to misspeak, you know they are like anyone else and don't always choose their words that carefully. If they did, there would be no need to try to infer meaning; it would be clear.

Don't worry about it. The answer is unknowable until he or someone else on staff answers the question directly.

I think the answer is pretty freaking obvious.  It's just Fardragon being stubborn when he knows he's wrong.

Edited by bonarbill

They stated in the video you can choose to multi-class a character when you first meet them and accept them into your party.  This implies the option for multiclassing a companion who does not have more than one compulsory class is still in.

I didn't invent the example I gave with Eder, it comes from a developer, I just can't find it. So no, as the game stands at the moment, companions have a narrow list of classes and multiclasses available (and preset subclass choices) which you choose when you first meet them. Choosing not to believe me doesn't make it any less true.

I didn't claim you did, and don't pull that attitude with me, alright?  I never said I chose not to believe you, I didn't even quote you or reply to you, just that there were clearly options to still multiclass.  The evidence for what I said is in update 40 video, 1:03 to 1:08, where it clearly states that multiclassing is available at character creation OR when a companion first joins the party.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I don't think Aloth will be the only wizard choice. You could be going into POE2 with Aloth, Eder and Pallegina all dead. Though there are always hired custom adventurers, I suppose.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/165552067891/hey-josh-how-will-the-return-to-add-style

Edit: I now see you've already read that, since it's quoted in the tumbler post you link, but you missed part of it. "Available classes" means what it says.

I think the idea of multiclassing companions with whatever second class we want is so ludicrous, it didn't occur to Sawyer to explicitly say it isn't happening. But "available classes" really couldn't mean anything else.

I am not so sure. It seem like a pretty big change from what we were told in the first place. The new system really gives no reason to restrict companions more. I would find it strange if they would just change it, but not say anything about it. I will write on Josh’s tumbler and see if he will say something.

Did you ask? He hasn't answered...

I am not so sure. It seem like a pretty big change from what we were told in the first place. The new system really gives no reason to restrict companions more. I would find it strange if they would just change it, but not say anything about it. I will write on Josh’s tumbler and see if he will say something.

I did...

• Like 1

I did...

Which means there are certain people who aren't going to like the answer...

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

was really excited about radora and out of a sudden they cut it. don't quite like fessina design that much compared to pallegina though. something to do with her lips and nose maybe? by the way, rekke is completely mute? not sure how i feel about it to have a completely mute characters in your party who don't understand a single word you say and yet can take instructions what to do during battle?

Edited by Archaven

​He isn't completely mute, he just can't (or chooses not to) speak any language the protagonist understands. He understands instructions though.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

​He isn't completely mute, he just can't (or chooses not to) speak any language the protagonist understands. He understands instructions though.

how so? how do you know? are there much information released about rekke yet that i may missed out?

In the fig update which introduced Rekke, it mentions that he speaks a language not known to anybody and doesn't know any of the local languages either. And presumably hasn't had time to learn the local language(s).

I don’t think he understands when people speak “commmon,” or he would also be able to speak it. I don’t think the Watcher is barking orders in combat either.

I know it’s probably not common or galactic basic, I don’t think they ever say what language it is.

I don’t think he understands when people speak “commmon,” or he would also be able to speak it. I don’t think the Watcher is barking orders in combat either.

I know it’s probably not common or galactic basic, I don’t think they ever say what language it is.

The "common" language used in the Dyrwood region is actually Aedyrian (since it was formerly a colony of the Aedryran empire), which is english for all practical gameplay purposes.

However, since the Aedyr empire isn't a trading empire like the Vailian Republics and doesn't have any sort of presence in the Deadfire archipelago, it's not likely that Aedyrian would be the common tongue, lingua franca, trade tongue, or galactic basic if you will.

And yeah, they haven't said what language Rekke does speak since they don't want to spoil things too much.

The "common" language used in the Dyrwood region is actually Aedyrian (since it was formerly a colony of the Aedryran empire), which is english for all practical gameplay purposes.

However, since the Aedyr empire isn't a trading empire like the Vailian Republics and doesn't have any sort of presence in the Deadfire archipelago, it's not likely that Aedyrian would be the common tongue, lingua franca, trade tongue, or galactic basic if you will.

And yeah, they haven't said what language Rekke does speak since they don't want to spoil things too much.

There are at least some indications that Aedyran is used as a common trade language throughout known Eora.  For example, the PC starts Pillars 1 knowing it (as do non-native NPCs like Sagani and Kana), regardless of his/her background/homeland, and this in-game book opens with the statement that "The sun does not set on the Aedyran language. Those of us who commune with this proud language, or some derivation of it, populate every corner of Eora." 

That said, I agree that, based on what we know of Aedyran history, it's not clear whether (and, if so, why) Aedyran would be a widely-known language in places like the Deadfire. 

This is the sort of question that would likely inspire a 3-paragraph discourse from Josh, if asked on Tumblr/Twitter/Reddit/SomethingAwful.  Somebody should do so. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 2

Maybe the Aedyrians used to be a big world spanning empire? If not in territory, then in trade. That's how languages tend to get spread worldwide.

Although, the Aedyrian language or some offshoot of it being known everywhere in the world doesn't explain wherever Rekke is from. Or maybe it does, I dunno.

Edited by smjjames

It's kind of an irrelevent question: The protagonist could originate from Deadfire, so whatever the main language spoken in that region is, the protagonist has to be assumed to be able to speak it. And across the party one has to assume minor languages are covered too. Thus, the language spoken (or appartently spoken) by Rekke is not a language known in any region the protagonist could possibly origininate from. Several possible explanations:

* he has brain damage;

* he comes from a completly unknown part of the world;

* he comes from a different world altogether;

* he is not human: he is a polymorphed animal, or has an animal soul;

* he has taken a relgious vow that prevents him speaking;

* He has damaged vocal cords;

* his people do not communicate vocally: they use telepathy, or smell, or ultrasound. Thus his brain is not capable of learning human speech, grunts are the closest he can get;

* etc

• Like 5

Maybe the Aedyrians used to be a big world spanning empire? If not in territory, then in trade. That's how languages tend to get spread worldwide.

This is the likely explanation that they're going to go with, but I note that this is not mentioned at all in the accounts of Aedyran history in the in-game books (1, 2) or in the Guidebook. 

This is the likely explanation that they're going to go with, but I note that this is not mentioned at all in the accounts of Aedyran history in the in-game books (1, 2) or in the Guidebook. 

Actually, look at the last paragraph in the first one:

"Conflicts with Kulklin continued, escalating into a minor war in 2398 AI. Afterward, a treaty was signed and the Kingdom of Aedyr merged with Kulklin to form the Aedyr Empire. With the political and military strife now settled, the Aedyr Empire would become an economic powerhouse. Able to provide resources that were hard to find in other parts of the world, their trade routes became some of the most lucrative in the world."

They were a major trading nation for a while before they declined for whatever reason and Rauatai and the Vailian Republics filled in the trading power vacuum. it doesn't straight out say that they were a world spanning trading empire, but it does imply that they were a powerful trade powerhouse at one point. And to be fair, the histories are pretty focused on the Eastern Reach and the Aedyr Empires dealings and history in the region, not their past as a trading powerhouse.

Well, that can probably be hand-waved with Watcher abilities, right? I mean, you're able to understand dialog from soul-memories in-game, that wouldn't logically be spoken in *any* contemporary language.

Except, don't we get cured of being a watcher? Like we would no longer have those abilities? or maybe it was just the hallucinations that were cured, not sure.

Except, don't we get cured of being a watcher? Like we would no longer have those abilities? or maybe it was just the hallucinations that were cured, not sure.

No. The Watcher is still a Watcher at the end of Pillars 1. The cause of their descent into madness wasn't their abilities as a Watcher but rather unresolved conflicts from past lives that their Awakening brought back to the surface.

The Watcher is able to resolve this by rediscovering the truth about the gods and confronting Thaos at the end of the first game.

• Like 3

Actually, look at the last paragraph in the first one:

"Conflicts with Kulklin continued, escalating into a minor war in 2398 AI. Afterward, a treaty was signed and the Kingdom of Aedyr merged with Kulklin to form the Aedyr Empire. With the political and military strife now settled, the Aedyr Empire would become an economic powerhouse. Able to provide resources that were hard to find in other parts of the world, their trade routes became some of the most lucrative in the world."

They were a major trading nation for a while before they declined for whatever reason and Rauatai and the Vailian Republics filled in the trading power vacuum. it doesn't straight out say that they were a world spanning trading empire, but it does imply that they were a powerful trade powerhouse at one point. And to be fair, the histories are pretty focused on the Eastern Reach and the Aedyr Empires dealings and history in the region, not their past as a trading powerhouse.

Good catch.  Serves me right for skimming. 

If the earliest overseas trading posts in most regions was Aedyre, it makes sense that the language hung around, even as Aedyre trading declined.  The new traders from the V Republics or Rauatai or wherever probably wouldn't have known the local language at first, but would have common proficiency with the locals in Aedyran.  The history is pretty clear from there-- instead of maintaining/building its trade advantage, the Empire poured its resources into its colonies, and appetite for foreign entanglement, in general, declined after they lost all of those to independence revolts. 

Edited by Enoch

No. The Watcher is still a Watcher at the end of Pillars 1. The cause of their descent into madness wasn't their abilities as a Watcher but rather unresolved conflicts from past lives that their Awakening brought back to the surface.

The Watcher is able to resolve this by rediscovering the truth about the gods and confronting Thaos at the end of the first game.

Okay. I was a bit confused as I thought just being a Watcher made you descend into madness. Might have been made unclear by the fact that the only other @atcher we ever meet in the main game had already descended deep into the madness and in White March, it's not clear that the Reaceran guy who is also a Watcher was also suffering from the same madness or not. The fact that being a Watcher tended to be referred to as a grim sentence probably didn't help with the comprehension that it was the unresolved conflicts, not just being a Watcher

To be clear, the challenge for the PC isn't just that she/he is a Watcher-- it's that she/he is an awakened Watcher.  Awakening in general can break a lot of minds (see: the folks in the Sanitarium), and apparently it gets even harder to separate your present life from your past ones when you're also seeing and interacting with spirits on a regular basis. 

• Like 4

Okay. I was a bit confused as I thought just being a Watcher made you descend into madness. Might have been made unclear by the fact that the only other @atcher we ever meet in the main game had already descended deep into the madness and in White March, it's not clear that the Reaceran guy who is also a Watcher was also suffering from the same madness or not. The fact that being a Watcher tended to be referred to as a grim sentence probably didn't help with the comprehension that it was the unresolved conflicts, not just being a Watcher

Fair enough. I actually think that the Readceran (Adaryc) denies being plagued by memories the way the Watcher is, but I'm not sure and even if he did, I wouldn't put it past him to deny it out of shame or fear if it was true.

While it is the Awakening itself that is the source of the Watcher's impending doom in the game, it's also true (if memory serves) that being a Watcher makes Awakenings more traumatic and invasive. Playing the game, I didn't get the feeling that memories and experiences from Awakenings were often so devastating - even a fairly severe case like Freyol (the pale elf lady from the Sanitarium who could no longer abide her present lifestyle after remembering her previous life's wealth) seemed much more lucid and intact than Maerwald or the Watcher after a bad end.

In that sense, you could definitely consider the problem to be an interaction of the two conditions, but the remedy only needs to focus on the memories from the Awakening.

(Edit: err, like Enoch said)

Edited by blotter