What's Edér smoking?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What's Edér smoking?

Not true, he offered to buy one for Iselmyr, even had to extend his offer to Aloth.

I thought that was a beer, or does he offer both?

Its a beer.

Yeah. I'm countering "Eder is selfish" argument :p He's considerate enough not to offer them smoke.

Pretty sure he is smoking crack cocaine.

Or whiteleaf which is the Eternity version of tobacco.  As for the "weed" comments, uh no, the Eternity weed equivalent is Svef.

"Svef is the Aedyran name for a potent narcotic produced from the berries of small shrub that grows in the dry, distant mountains of Tal Kness. Svef produces hallucinations and, according to some, allows users to actually see their own soul."

"Whiteleaf is derived from the whiteleaf weed, which is commonly found throughout the Dyrwood and Eir Glanfath. Locals dry and smoke the plant, which grants a feeling of calm alongside an intense lethargy."

Which sounds more like weed? Hallucinations and seeing your own soul (made from berries), or calmness and lethargy (smoking a dried plant)?

• Like 3

Pretty sure he is smoking crack cocaine.

Or whiteleaf which is the Eternity version of tobacco.  As for the "weed" comments, uh no, the Eternity weed equivalent is Svef.

"Svef is the Aedyran name for a potent narcotic produced from the berries of small shrub that grows in the dry, distant mountains of Tal Kness. Svef produces hallucinations and, according to some, allows users to actually see their own soul."

"Whiteleaf is derived from the whiteleaf weed, which is commonly found throughout the Dyrwood and Eir Glanfath. Locals dry and smoke the plant, which grants a feeling of calm alongside an intense lethargy."

Which sounds more like weed? Hallucinations and seeing your own soul (made from berries), or calmness and lethargy (smoking a dried plant)?

I always felt that Svef is more analogous to Heroin (or maybe Crack Cocaine?), especially seeing the Svef addicts in Purnisc's home.

But i won't pretend to know much about drugs, because the only drug i need is my sweet, sweet Coffee.

Edited by Juodas Varnas
  • Like 1

Actually, that description of svef makes it sound more like LSD or magic mushrooms, except you've got magic berries. The image used for svef evokes cocaine though.

The word "narcotic" implies an opiate-like drug, but the description doesn't match that, either.

The word "narcotic" implies an opiate-like drug, but the description doesn't match that, either.

Yeah, my feeling is its side effects are reminiscent of opium addiction, although the active effects including hallucinations makes it quite different. As you say it doesn't have a perfect real world analogue.

I don't think we necessarily have to look at a direct real-life correlation with these drugs, suffice to say that svef is bad, m'kay? Whiteleaf doesn't really sound like tobacco either, but... I'm wondering if there simply isn't any tobacco in Eora in the first place. It's hardly like there aren't other plants and produces from a real-life setting (e.g. cocoa) so as to assume tobacco or any other real-life smokable herb wouldn't be around.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

• 1 month later...

out of the available options i guess i'd have to go with whiteleaf. i hate to be the boring one here... however, does it say anywhere that tobacco doesn't happen to grow in the pillars universe at all? i don't recall... well if it does exist, tobacco would be my actual guess, i suppose.

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

I would guess Whiteleaf as well for my 2 cents. 

I find this thread very fascinating. My brother often watches me play games, and in the case of fantasy games he always wants to find a real life equivalent to cultures and factions, even when none is clear or exists.  Sometimes his need to search for common threads or equivalence can drive me insane, because he cant seem to buy into the world until he figures it out. Until he can figure out that the Rhodoks of Mount and Blade are somewhat Iberian or the Bretonnians of Warhammer sound French but have Arthurian Lore, he just cant relax about the world. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, Eder's conversations seem too grounded to be anything too psychoactive... I know boring wet-blanket answer.

`Tyger~ :cat:

Of course, in the zany world of Pets in Pillars, what I would not likely do is... stuff one pet (much less all of them) in the airless hole of my stash... squished in between armor, blades, potions, and food (lol) - with one of two likely results: "Ew, Steve the Spider got squished between the +2 Shield and +3 Barbed Plate! " or " DARN IT! FIDO! Did you eat all the jerky AGAIN! It's dog-bone soup, tonight! "