Political Ocean's 11

Amentep

I'm really not sure what you're on about.

I am 100% sure you can infer the meaning of my post.

This is why we need to train 100% accurate trigger aware emotional support dogs, subsidized of course.

Id like a TRIGGER monkey. Not a rip-your-face-off chimp, one of those cool little ones like organ grinders used to use. But then Id have to teach it to provide unwavering 100% accuracy, and honestly, thats more responsibility than any monkey should have.

A Vietnam vet reading Fields of Fire knows what kind of book he's reading.

How? Popular as Fields of Fire and Shakespeare may be, people aren't born with a knowledge of the works before reaing them or getting spoiled. Assuming someone didn't spoil them on the plot, they would still be going in relatively blind reading it for the first time and could very well get their PTSD TRIGGERED by something they weren't expecting. I think the SJWs are stupid and there is a limit to warnings that can be communicated, but we shouldn't let a fringe group of tumblrites determine policy towards mental illness because being contrarian will TRIGGER liberal sjw betacucks.

Psst, its called a prologue. Assuming they don't need help for that part too.
So apparently trigger warnings already exist or if they don't there is a place to conveniently put them. Why are you guys so, dare I say, triggered again?
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

In the case of academic classes, I think it also fair to point out that as the student isn't choosing the book, they may not be inclined to read a blurb or a synopsis or afterword since they're not trying to find a book to read for their own personal interest.  YMMV.

They should though, as the blurb and any fore/after words- any editorial comments really- are often the most useful parts to see what you should be getting out of the book. If you're reading Les Miserables it probably isn't for the 82 page digression on the Paris Sewers, after all, and most forewords will helpfully tell you that you can safely skip it.

In other news today Jeff Flake R-Arizona has announced his retirement from the Senate after this term. And told off Trump and the whole gang of elephants in the process (obliquely). http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/24/flake-retiring-after-2018-244114

His re-election was far from a sure thing apparently. It's a real dog fall now. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm really not sure what you're on about.

I am 100% sure you can infer the meaning of my post.

No I don't.  But that may be because I think you're using the term "prologue" when you mean "foreword".  Which would I guess kind of make more sense that way.

But at this point, I think my only possible recourse is to abandon thread...

giphy.gif

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

No I don't.  But that may be because I think you're using the term "prologue" when you mean "foreword".  Which would I guess kind of make more sense that way.

Ok, I used the wrong word. Mea culpa.

But at this point, I think my only possible recourse is to abandon thread...

Well I happen to like you as a person so I want to express my points one last time:

1) I have no problem with mental illnesses. You have an MRI with a squirrely looking piece of brain then you are absolutely brain damaged and should receive special considerations and help. Hell, Ill even throw in a handicapped parking tag so you always get a bitchin parking spot.

2) A person has experienced a tragic occurrence and is emotionally scarred for life. I completely understand that this person has significant challenges in life, but no physical brain damage. Its these cases that, imo, are that persons cross to bear and should not become the responsibility of society to place TRIGGER warnings of every conceivable thing that could TRIGGER someone.

3) "They wouldn't have to put every conceivable TRIGGER". Why not? Why is one persons issues more important than another's? Do we literally create a scroll that falls out and rolls across the floor to ensure we've covered everything?

3) "They wouldn't have to put every conceivable TRIGGER". Why not? Why is one persons issues more important than another's? Do we literally create a scroll that falls out and rolls across the floor to ensure we've covered everything?

Because it's unfeasible and unreasonable. What are the odds that someone, somewhere will be triggered by pedestrian things not directly related to trauma? This is exactly why you have cancer warning labels on cigarette packs but not on literally every cup of hot beverage served anywhere, despite both being carcinogenic. Cancer is cancer, but chances that someone will get it from one thing are greater than from the other.

Ultimately, someone has to fully arbitrarily decide where to draw the line. Feel free to push in either direction, of course.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Because it's unfeasible and unreasonable. What are the odds that someone, somewhere will be triggered by pedestrian things not directly related to trauma? This is exactly why you have cancer warning labels on cigarette packs but not on literally every cup of hot beverage served anywhere, despite both being carcinogenic. Cancer is cancer, but chances that someone will get it from one thing are greater than from the other.

Ultimately, someone has to fully arbitrarily decide where to draw the line. Feel free to push in either direction, of course.

*pushes in a direction*

In other news today Jeff Flake R-Arizona has announced his retirement from the Senate after this term. And told off Trump and the whole gang of elephants in the process (obliquely). http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/24/flake-retiring-after-2018-244114

His re-election was far from a sure thing apparently. It's a real dog fall now. 

im all for getting new blood in the Senate.  

I was talking to someone today about Jeff Flake. He made a comment about being happy another RINO (Republican in Name Only) is leaving the Senate and that he hopes a real conservative replaces him. He didn't realize Flake WAS one of the "real conservatives" that came in with the "Tea Party Revolution" in 2012 & 2014. I told him with a laugh today's "tea Party Conservative" is tomorrows RINO. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Crazy how quick people are to label those that criticize Trump as fake Republicans, considering Trump's history with the democratic party.

I don't see how that's crazy, just calling as it is, Trump has some liberal leanings, but he isn't a 'true conservative' either.

Anyways, if they end up nominating someone like Kelli Ward, the Dems will have it easy, or at least easier time doing it.

Unfortunate that more Republican politicians won't speak out....

There isn't a nickel's worth of difference between the two parties anymore. It's the greatest con in the history of the country now. The only thing they are really fighting over now is comittee chairmanships. No matter who wins the government gets bigger, the deficit and debt go up, taxes go up on some things, down on others but spending goes only up. No programs get cut, the states lose power, the people lose liberty and the bombs never stop falling overseas. Exactly what the f--k are we fighting over here that is so important?

If you really want to get new blood in Washington step one is Don't Vote For Republicans or Democrats. You do have other options. Everyone says Third Party candidates can't win. You just end up empowering the "other side". Then one day you realize there is no "other side" and hasn't been for a very long time. 

Thomas Sowell

Dang, he's ambitious all right. I guess all it took for Saudi Arabia to be dragged kicking and screaming out of the state that it's in is some fresh royal blood, and I don't mean in the sacrificial sense.

That megacity though... I wonder what the Egyptians and Jordanians would have to say about that. Also, looking at Google Maps, such a city would have to either bridge the Red Sea or circle around the northern tip of the Red Sea, meaning that he might have to include the southern tip of Israel.

A part of the modern moral standard is a lot about pulling yourself by your bootstraps, being your own person, in control of yourself, and having the power to control your body and everything around it. It's an illusion that is very nice and romantic, partly stepped in the good ol' protestant/puritan work ethic and sexist notions of manhood but it has not a lot of basis in reality. For many people this belief is essential not only to their worldview but also to their sense of personal worth. Trigger warnings challenge that mindset and so are seen by many as a personal and societal attack.

Do I read some Weber in there?

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Not really, no. Perhaps inadvertently, I guess.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Dang, he's ambitious all right. I guess all it took for Saudi Arabia to be dragged kicking and screaming out of the state that it's in is some fresh royal blood, and I don't mean in the sacrificial sense.

I wouldn't hold my breath- MbS is not averse to pandering to audiences while the Wahhabi clerical apparatus is Saudi's greatest foreign affairs weapon. And the mega city is a pipe dream. Might as well have gone the whole hog and call it Amarna while he was about it.

It's the standard approach of making the right noises to western media, while saying something completely different in arabic to the domestic one. The Saud's bargain with the Wahhabis in the 80s was Faustian, but made for very good reasons that have only strengthened. MbS has effectively usurped his current position and made succession hereditary, so the list of those wanting him gone is as long as the list of Saudi princes not named Muhammed bin Sultan, ie a couple of thousand of the most powerful in the kingdom. And when it comes right down to it KSA is still the place where the army bought SAMs based on ability to shoot down their own air force's planes and there are more parallel armies than in even Hitler's Germany.