I'm now up to my fifth loss on Legendary due to the Kobold Heretic rolling a 1 after he is beaten in combat and have still yet to win. I think I've got a pretty good strategy for pinning down the boss now using Valeros, Lem and Harsk, but I'd be interested in anyone else's parties/techniques for efficiently trapping the villain so that I can give him even more opportunities to troll (kobold?) me by rolling a 1.

Giving all the Henchmen and the Villain the opportunity to avoid defeat with literally nothing I can do about it, the villain automatically escaping defeat after he is first beaten, and having the Henchmen inflict damage if they are undefeated can lead to a very frustrating play experience. I hope we don't see similar design choices in future side quests.

Yeah, this gets really old, really quick.  I'm still trying to get past V4 on heroic (albeit with a now well farmed starter party) and i'm something like two dozen attempts in.  So many so-close runs.  I should probably just give up and bring in my already-beat-everything-on-legendary characters, but since theres no guidelines on when you're supposed to do Vs quests and I'm dumb, I'll just keep banging away at it.

Yeah, this gets really old, really quick.  I'm still trying to get past V4 on heroic (albeit with a now well farmed starter party) and i'm something like two dozen attempts in.  So many so-close runs.  I should probably just give up and bring in my already-beat-everything-on-legendary characters, but since theres no guidelines on when you're supposed to do Vs quests and I'm dumb, I'll just keep banging away at it.

Totally agree. I wish the developer had added a suggested level for the fighter side quest. Unclear to me whether the side quest was supposed to be attempted with starter party or level 1-6 party. Looking for the optimal experience---not too easy but not impossible either...

Totally agree. I wish the developer had added a suggested level for the fighter side quest. Unclear to me whether the side quest was supposed to be attempted with starter party or level 1-6 party. Looking for the optimal experience---not too easy but not impossible either...

One thing that the side quest does have is henchman and villain cards that have normal/heroic/legendary versions which become more difficult to defeat due to higher check values, which I thought was a nice touch.

I suspect that the intention is that normal is suitable for a starter or low-level Valeros, heroic is suitable for a mid-level Valeros and legendary is suitable for an end-game Valeros.

In particular adventures 2 and 4 I still found tough on legendary even with a party which had finished RotR, whereas the same characters absolutely breezed through on normal and didn't have much problem with heroic.

Edited by Assussanni
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I spent the better part of the day trying to beat this legitimately. I resorted to cheating and it still took me 3 tries.

The 1d6 to defeat was bad but survivable. 2d6 for kobolds is just ridiculous. An average roll makes the start-of-turn combat at the den unbeatable.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."