Selevar/Zaelsar 'non-combat' Divine check

Jenceslav

Question

While playing scenario 4-4 Under Jorgenfist on Normal (Lieutenant Lem, Seelah, Forest Harsk, Sajan), the Divine checks to defeat both Villains were probably not flagged as combat checks. Or maybe there is problem with Lt. (JG) Lem.

The situation was as follows:

All locations except Warrens closed (Forest Harsk was holding position there), our heroic lieutenant all alone on Desecrated Vault (2 cards remaining, the top was Zaelsar revealed by Harsk earlier).

Lem encountered Zaelsar (Harsk closed his location with help of epic +1 dexterity armor) and could play the Djezet Skin (+2 to non-combat charisma check) into the Divine Check, which should be combat check, right? However, Lem used Fire Bolt (or Force Bolt) and some outside help to defeat her. That help included Seelah's Blessing of Iomedae, which somehow added 2 dice instead of one. And this check definitely was combat check (or should be) - and of course, Lem being Lem, the check was Arcane-Charisma-based, so the B. of Iomedae recognized the ability correctly, only its non-combat trait was not there.

Additional minor bug: failing the check to recharge Orb of Storms (Forest Harsk with Divine skill) or Orb of Magic (Seelah) placed the corresponding card into the discard pile instead of burying it. It may be character-related or it might be incorrectly programmed to be discarded instead (and this could apply to other Orbs as well).

Edited by Jenceslav

4 answers to this question

I don't have a rulebook at hand, but if I remember correctly using Divine check to defeat Selevar/Zaelsar is not considered a "combat" check (even if you will take damage if you fail) since it doesn't have a Combat trait, so Djezet Skin worked as it should and B. of Iomedae adding 2 dies to it would work as it's supposed on a Divine check.

It shouldn't work if you played Fire/Force Bolt (since then you're attempting Arcane and Combat check), but are you sure game didn't cancel your combat spell and chose to use Divine check instead since that would be more beneficial to you?

• Like 2

Huh, it seems that I incorrectly assumed that any check to defeat a monster is combat check by definition. But you are right - I have found an appropriate rules discussion regarding this.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1109466/siren-and-non-combat-checks-monsters

So the lamia sisters are working correctly, huh. Any check to defeat a monster that does not have 'Combat' as a header is a non-combat check. Thank you very much for pointing that out.

As a result, the Crown of Charisma and Sepia Ellipsoid rise in importance to me. The Crown is thus a reliable way to not only survive, but also to defeat Iesha Foxglove (if you are not Kyra / Seelah with specific power feat). Interesting.

I do not think that Fire Bolt was returned to Lem's hand and the check changed to Divine (base die was still 1d10). I will check that again later, but for now it is 'solved' - not a bug probably.

Edited by Jenceslav

Don't forget about Amulet of Fortitude... that one can be used to beat first check on Barl Breakbones, making it a lot easier for spellcasters to defeat him.

As for Crown and Iesha... I'm not sure if it's still true but using Crown used to count as defeating Iesha so you'd also get to check a location to find Skinsaw Man.

Don't forget about Amulet of Fortitude... that one can be used to beat first check on Barl Breakbones, making it a lot easier for spellcasters to defeat him.

As for Crown and Iesha... I'm not sure if it's still true but using Crown used to count as defeating Iesha so you'd also get to check a location to find Skinsaw Man.

Well, Barl was never a problem for me. Check 17 was generally fine for Seoni or Ezren ;) (especially when he is a Villain - boss) and when I use the Amulet (Kyra has it, I think), it is generally to obtain armors.

Ad Crown - I used to think that it could not be used to defeat Iesha (looking for Aldern). So I never even bothered to have it ready for Iesha as the +1 die Diplomacy is of very limited use for anyone except Valeros and Seoni in this case. Now, I might try it :)