Dominate (and possibly other mind controls) bugged?

Okay, I saw something really weird in the Maerwald fight, and it caused my main Paladin to get knocked out - and nearly the whole group wiped. I was not sure when it happened first, but it keeps happening repeatedly now (I have screenshots, too). So can anyone explain what is going on?

The odd phenomenon is that when enemies are Dominated - and possibly under other forms of mind control - they keep all the buffs they had while they were Dominated even after the Domination duration is over. In fact, I have a screenshot of a red marked Skaen Cultist even keeping the Outworn Buckler buff.

Is this a known bug? I recall Boerer mentioning a seemingly related bug where a Fighter's Take the Hit keeps going off even when formerly mind-controlled enemies take damage.

The other possibility is that some enemies steal buffs from you, but a lowly Skaen Cultist?

I am really frustrated and befuddled. As I said, I nearly wiped in Maerwald because of this - and I've had several needlessly tough fights, because the Gyrd chain Dominated, and half the enemies wouldn't die due to taking my own buffs. I am afraid I will eventually really wipe on tough fights.

I guess stop using the Gyrd, if it is a Dominate bug?

It's the same bug that happens with Take the Hit (I talked about that recently): passive, persistent or modal buffs like Herald, Take the Hit, Zealous Focus, Guardian Stance and so on don't get cancelled once the controlled enemy's alliance flips back. It would be ok for me if the buffs don't go away immediately, but there should be some short timer that removes those bonuses - but there isn't at the moment. Or the mind controlled enemy shouldn't profit from your buffs in the first place. You can't target them with ally spells like Amplified Thrust or Ectopsychic Echo or so - so why do they profit from pasive buffs?

Dominate is especially bugged bucause sometimes it only lasts a few seconds despite the fact that you crit with it for a long duration "officially".

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It's the same bug that happens with Take the Hit (I talked about that recently): passive, persistent or modal buffs like Herald, Take the Hit, Zealous Focus, Guardian Stance and so on don't get cancelled once the controlled enemy's alliance flips back. It would be ok for me if the buffs don't go away immediately, but there should be some short timer that removes those bonuses - but there isn't at the moment. Or the mind controlled enemy shouldn't profit from your buffs in the first place. You can't target them with ally spells like Amplified Thrust or Ectopsychic Echo or so - so why do they profit from pasive buffs?

Hmmm, in that case MaxQuest's mod has not gotten rid of it - or at least not all the time.

Not only are these buffs long-lasting, but some (like Paladin auras) literally stay forever.

So I guess mind control is useless? Or using mass mind control on tough enemies is potentially dangerous? I guess I will be more careful whom I mind control and probably give the Gyrd to the Priest instead to trigger Dominate less often.

It's too damn bad, because mind control is the best CC until longer petrify/paralyze type of spells come on.

Not that big of a deal if it breaks early just focus that guy. a skaenite cultist is a push over anyway it's not like it's the Alpine dragon.

If it's a dragon well if he's mind controlled and kills all his adds well a slight buff isn't going to save him. If you have good ACC.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Not that big of a deal if it breaks early just focus that guy. a skaenite cultist is a push over anyway it's not like it's the Alpine dragon.

If it's a dragon well if he's mind controlled and kills all his adds well a slight buff isn't going to save him. If you have good ACC.

In my case, they keep Outworn Buckler, Zealous Endurance, Zealous Focus, the Chanter's Will/Fortitude Phrase, and whatever the Priest throws up. One time it was Dire Blessing and Circle of Protection. And the Paladin's stuff is forever. Early and mid-level, keeping just Paladin's buffs on tough opponents can make them very hardy :(

Well, this now explains the great mystery of why my fights are becoming so much harder now that I am using 2 Paladins and a Chanter who uses buff Phrases and not damage or debuff Phrases. Jesus. Fights seem longer and some fights twice or more longer. I thought it was because I miss the ranged Rogue, but it's because I have so many buffs and yet I am continuously spamming mind control both via Gyrd and via Wizard...