Problem using Archer Ally

MrScott

Question

I have noticed a consistent bug with the Archer card. When I use the recharge ability to increase a ranged attack roll by a d4, it also changes one of my other dice to a d4. For example, if I am using Merisel with a light crossbow, I get a d12 and a d8 (plus whatever modifier I have leveled up to). When I use the Archer, I end up with a d12 and two d4s plus modifiers. Many times my hit % is better before I use the Archer.

7 answers to this question

The Archer is working properly. If you look at Merisiel's stats, you'll see she doesn't have the Ranged skill, so when she attacks with a bow, etc. it's her Dexterity that's being used. So when you add the Archer, it switches from Dex to Ranged, and the die switches to d4, as she lacks the skill.

Archer is somewhat working properly.  This is one of the cases where you need to be careful and pay attention to the "roll optimizer."

When Merisiel plays a Light Crossbow, it uses her Dexterity for the combat check: d12(dex) + d8(l.crossbow)

When she plays an additional Archer, the game reads through the card and thinks, "ok, I think we need to switch this to a Ranged attack!"  Since Mersiel doesn't explicitly have that skill, the check changes to: d4(ranged)+d8(l.crossbow)+d4(ranger)

However, you should be able to just tap on the check type in the top-center of the screen and change it back to a dexterity roll.  From a rules-lawyering standpoint, regardless of whether or not a character has or uses the Ranged Skill, the act of playing a weapon with the Ranged Trait turns it into a Ranged Check.  The wording on the Archer card is loose enough that applies to any Ranged combat check, not just just combat checks that use the Ranged Skill.

The creator of the tabletop game explained as much here.

• Like 3

EDIT: Ethics Gradient has a better description of what's happening in his post below.

The Archer is working properly. If you look at Merisiel's stats, you'll see she doesn't have the Ranged skill, so when she attacks with a bow, etc. it's her Dexterity that's being used. So when you add the Archer, it switches from Dex to Ranged, and the die switches to d4, as she lacks the skill.

Edited by Bullwinkle
  • Like 2

Thank you for your reply, Bullwinkle. I don't think that interpretation is correct though. The Archer's power is worded "Recharge this card to add 1d4 to your Ranged Combat Check." It refers to a ranged combat check and doesn't specify the Ranged skill. Also, Shalelu's ability has identical wording except that it applies to "any" Ranged Combat Check. When I use Shalelu, it adds a d4 without converting another die to d4.

I would disagree that this works as intended. Bullwinkle may be right what happens - in one sense. Could you check if the type of combat check changes? (I.e. the drop-down menu beside the difficulty)

At start, it is Combat (strength) 1d8, then you play a ranged weapon, changing to Combat (Dexterity) 1d12 + die_from_weapon + Dex.bonus. Then try to play Archer. If I suspect right, the type of check would be incorrectly changed, e.g. into Melee/Ranged (which Merisiel does not have, thus 1d4). But you may still change the type of check manually through the drop-down menu, selecting Combat (Dexterity).

Well, you may object that the Ranged combat mentioned in the Archer Ally is referring to Ranged skill check. But the ranged weapons have the Ranged trait, which should transfer to the whole check. So the Combat Dexterity check has the 'ranged trait', but is not the Ranged skill check. Must check Paizo's forums :)

Edit: Correcting factual error.

Edited by Jenceslav
  • Like 1