What Style of Helmets are going to be in the game?

Realism has to play second to the needs of the game--in this case, easily distinguishable silhouettes. Visual design matters, yo.

Uh, how about no?  YOU want boobplate, nothing to do with 'needs of the game' as it is not needed by the game.  Admitting that you just want to have boobplate is fine, there are plenty of games out there that already cater to your desires that I do not understand why you must make yet another game fit to the same mold but it is at least honest, trying to make out that its 'needed' on the other hand is complete bollocks if I do say so myself.  I had no issue wiith determining who was male and who was female without boobplate, I had no issue determining between individual characters in fact, so in this case I'm calling it: this has nothing to do with easily distinguishable silhouettes but with you wanting faff material.  Faff materials matters, yo?

• Like 4

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

If they are to put boob plates, I demand they put deeck sockets for lower armor. And butt plates (plates that seperate each but cheek) for males and females alike. You don't get to half-arse it.

Let's be fair, there was a glorious **** socket in PoE 1, shaped like a dragon's head: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Don_Paco%27s_Codpiece_of_Vigor

Edited by cheesevillain

54.%2BBeak%2BMask.png

"What are you still doing here? Enough trembling in your boots. A hunter must hunt."

Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum kum superiorum aetate contexitur? Marcus Tillius Cicero

If they are to put boob plates, I demand they put deeck sockets for lower armor. And butt plates (plates that seperate each but cheek) for males and females alike. You don't get to half-arse it.

Let's be fair, there was a glorious **** socket in PoE 1, shaped like a dragon's head: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Don_Paco%27s_Codpiece_of_Vigor

I mean visible on armor :)

The problem with boobplates from a historical perspective is that women almost never fought in battle, so even if there are historical examples they don't represent functional armour.

What we do know is that the apex of functional make plate armour in Europe did not have sculpted chest and abs (if anything it resembles a beer belly) because plate armour works best when there is a gap between the plates and the wearer (usually filled with padded clothing) and when it is angled so as to deflect blows away from vital areas. From this we should expect the armour of women who actually fight (as they do in Eora) to follow similar principles and hence their armour would be similar in design to men's armour (possibly slightly larger at the chest, but certainly no sculpted breasts).

Now you can make the 'this is a fantasy setting' and 'the armour's magic' arguments and that's fine, but neither of those are arguments in favour of boobplates, rather they are arguments against the necessity of not having boob plates. Ultimately it all boils down to personal preference, as Flintlock says, and my preference is for realism in this regard.

• Like 3

People can have a look of the armor Joan of Arc wore.

Having boobs scuplted on your chest plate a) takes extra work for no reason b) dosen't help at deflecting blows (the main purpose of the plate).

If anyone has any doubts about wether or not women would wear specially crafted boob plates, they can take a look at modern clothing for instance. Does any women clothing has specific boob sockets? Nope, unless they are *specifically designed* to allow the wearer to show them off.

Boob plates, chain bikinis and other nonsensical armor styles are there for the male gaze. And it's sad when those asking for them don't admit that's what they care about. "I want to be able to tell wether someone wearing armor is male of female", like boobs is the only way to tell them apart.

One other way to tell that, is a thread created to discuss about helmets turns into discussion about boobs. 

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 4

Friends don't let friends wear boobplates!

I mean, do you really want the entire force of the blow to be redirected DIRECTLY into your sternum (instead of harmlessly glancing off)?

But seriously though, i honestly REALLY liked the fact that women in Pillars of Eternity actually wore proper practical armor.

Edited by Juodas Varnas

Boob plate with grapeshot projectors hidden behind the conical trap doors. Surprise!

Not sure what this has to do with helmets though.

It's been mentioned before, but I'd like to see some nice sallets. They offer decent protection and you can see the face.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Kettle hat with a wide brim.  Something about it appeals to me, particularly if I am playing a commoner type character.

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams