What Style of Helmets are going to be in the game?

@Arsene Lupin,

Agreed. I was merely being silly. Except for the part about invisible armor spells. That was actually serious. :)

I will say, however, that IF a game has, say, reactivity to what you're wearing, it kind of becomes a problem if your aesthetics don't match. If you're wearing kitty ears and a bikini and your character's actually wearing faction plate armor, and someone says "My god... where did you get that?! You're not one of us!", it starts getting silly. :)

Now, even then, if you're fully aware of what's going on there, then it's still up to the player, I suppose. And while I don't think it's the developer's obligation to create extra stuff just to have fun fashion options (a la Xenoblade Chronicles X), I am a big fan of the "vanity" equipment. If the piece of equipment exists in the game, it's good to be able to choose that look while using the function of another piece you don't think looks as good.

Anywho... helmets! I'm always a fan of designs that are largely based on actual/historical designs, but maybe take some creative license. I guess super-ultra crazy impractical helmets can be cool, too. But, honestly, I'd prefer that to be reserved for things like magical headpieces (i.e. "this circlet floats around your head and has glowy bits"). I like there to be SOME sort of reason for the design/explanation within the game world of why this thing is like it is. For example, I have no problem with a scantily clad character, IF they're actually some kind of berzerker who is completely against armor. If they're just scantily clad to be scantily clad, then I have a problem. But, go nuts with crazy helmets, I say, if you have any legitimate reasons for their existence in the game world.

@PugPug,

I LOVE cowls and hooded things!

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I would like to see Helm of Balduran and cloak as well. :w00t:

p.s. I know it's impossible... still some kind of hidden reference would be awesome.

Edited by Nail

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

I don't know if this counts, but masks would be cool. I say that in this thread because I know you sometimes see those ornate, metal masks that cover the whole face, sometimes in conjunction with helmets (like the Janissaries in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood... and I say that because I don't know how historically accurate that design was in that game, even though Janissaries were real).

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Those kinds of helmets existed, usually depicting the face of a monster or animal. The mask part was usually like a face plate that could be detatched from the helmet proper, probably because it was more decorative than functional. (IE the bumps of a face are going to *catch* a weapon instead of deflecting it--same reason why "boob plate" is a bad idea).

• Like 1

Those kinds of helmets existed, usually depicting the face of a monster or animal. The mask part was usually like a face plate that could be detatched from the helmet proper, probably because it was more decorative than functional. (IE the bumps of a face are going to *catch* a weapon instead of deflecting it--same reason why "boob plate" is a bad idea).

I could totally go for something like this:

535af730d0cc08571d9abf9f61011bde47f99b46

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Understandable, but I think we could have a LITTLE fun with our armor/helmets, without going full WoW. :)

I'm all for straying from realism about 15% or so. I mean, full-on boobplate... sure, no-go. But I don't mind something having some subtle decoration/shaping to it. You know, just bringing a little artistic creativity into it, mostly in the texture/surface aesthetics, but maybe just a TINY bit into the actual volumetric design. Especially since, realistically, a lot of optimal designs are extremely simple-looking. One of the great aspects of video games is the ability to inject imagination into things that would, in the real world, be severely adversely affected by such imaginings being made real.

EDIT:

@Juodas Varnas

... Whose helmet is that?! 8D

Edited by Lephys

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I am 100% in favor of boob-plate. I like being able to tell male and female apart, even when decked out in full plate armor. Realism has to play second to the needs of the game--in this case, easily distinguishable silhouettes. Visual design matters, yo.

I draw the line at "skimpy" armor, though. A rogue or a mage can show show some midriff, that's fine, but anyone else? Noooooope.

Edited by Arsene Lupin

Looks like Blackpool, circa 1970.

Edited by Fardragon
  • Like 1

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

As far as I know there are no armors with breasts in PoE - except the metal body of the Devil of Caroc. It's not only a breastplate but the actual body of the character - and a "piece of art" as Galvino states. She can't take it off so it seems to be ok to form her body in that way. She's still a woman after all. It doesn't have nipples as far as I remember. So why all that silly talk about armors with breasts in PoE?  

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Well, the contrast between all the loving attention given to sculpting the feminine body of the Devil of Caroc, and the fact that her soul was poured into the body without a second thought like yesterday's dirty dishwater, is the thing that really made Galvino's character pop for me.

As for the Boob-plate, it's not silly from a historical perspective, and there's nothing wrong with games having an erotic bent. That tone worked in Mass Effect and especially The Witcher games, which I really enjoyed. I just appreciated that PoE contrasted these games with a slightly more serious tone.

Edited by cheesevillain