What Style of Helmets are going to be in the game?

Hopefully the invisible style.

It baffles me that any RPG releases without a "hide helmet/hat" option. Don't make the same mistake you made with PoE1, Obsidian!

They have confirmed a toggable hide head and cloak slot. Rejoice !

Apart from that, I hope there will be more than just helmets but a wider variety of headgear : caps, over the top hats, wreaths, small crowns or diadems, etc...

Edited by dukeisaac
  • Like 2

I never hide helmets no matter how bad they are :p

Well, we already know the game and its style, so we should expect late medieval/rennaisance-esque type of helmets with a fantasy touch on them. Maybe, in addition, some exploration era style and maybe Polynesian style.

• Like 1

^ Call me a maniac, but I always hide cloaks and helmets (aside from headbands and scarf masks) on my dps characters.

Back in the WoW days, I was even using this as a sort of what-to-expect-metric when I was going to face someone for the first time. Best dueling rogues never had their cloaks visible. #truestory 

^ Call me a maniac, but I always hide cloaks and helmets (aside from headbands and scarf masks) on my dps characters.

Back in the WoW days, I was even using this as a sort of what-to-expect-metric when I was going to face someone for the first time. Best dueling rogues never had their cloaks visible. #truestory

Whenever I tanked I always had to have my helmet on, when arms or fury helmet was off but cloak on!

• Like 1

nowt

Guest Blutwurstritter

The lack of panties was certainly disturbing and i hope they redeem this grave oversight in the sequel. No helmet can be an adequate replacement for the supple touch of worn silk, providing warmth and protection to the most vital parts of any true hero.

It baffles me that any RPG releases without a "hide helmet/hat" option. Don't make the same mistake you made with PoE1, Obsidian!

See, if there's not a "Hide hide helmet/hat option" option, my immersion will be broken by the idea that my characters can wear head protection but somehow render it invisible. Although... "Armor Concealment" would be a pretty boss spell. Highwayman is all "Oh, I better go swing my sword at THIS stupid, unarmored guy, heh! *swing-CLANNNGGGG!*... WHAT the?!!!"

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

See, if there's not a "Hide hide helmet/hat option" option, my immersion will be broken by the idea that my characters can wear head protection but somehow render it invisible. Although... "Armor Concealment" would be a pretty boss spell. Highwayman is all "Oh, I better go swing my sword at THIS stupid, unarmored guy, heh! *swing-CLANNNGGGG!*... WHAT the?!!!"

It's less important for something like Pillars, but in a game like Divinity Original Sin 1 or 2, where you can zoom in closer on the characters, it's really annoying to pick out some awesome hair or facial details in character creation, and then spend the entire game covering everything up with a helmet. And sometimes the helmets just look derpy as hell, like the "horned" helmet sprite in Baldur's Gate 2 that was sized too big relative to the character sprites. That kind of thing ensured Misnc *always* looked like a doofus. And then there are games like Dragon Age or Neverwinter Nights that have "cinematic" cameras that zoom in really close... where it's super derpy to see character talking normally with tin cans over their heads.

It's basically saying, "if you don't want your character to look stupid, you have to sacrifice armor/skills/bonuses."

And I think asking players to choose between aesthetics and mechanics is a very bad thing. And I think more developers are recognizing this. For all its flaws, Diablo 3 is really good about let players modify the appearance of armors, and Xenoblade Chronicles X (such a fantastic game, omg) lets players equip two sets of armor at once--one for armor, and another on top for visuals. So if you like how low-spec armor looks, you can keep its appearance while using higher-spec armor.

TL;DR these kinds of aesthetic options should ALWAYS be there. Just like fully fleshed out option menus with audio sliders, scalable text size/UI elements, and resolution options. 

Anyway, on-topic, come on. It's gotta be Frog Helms.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3679099738_85981e811c.jpg

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--CFowk4yO--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/18penzxtjn5wmjpg.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/03/14/26A6B8B600000578-0-image-m-3_1426366792273.jpg

https://www.chaostrophic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/10-frog-mouth-helmet.jpg

First and only choice.

• Like 1

There must be pointy hats!  They are the best wizard hats: not stupid looking, can be quite ominous but also friendly looking depending on the expression of wearer, and provide protection from rain.

Gandalf.jpg?ssl=1

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

The association between pointy hats and ancient wizardry is a dubious one, possibly associated with antisemitism. Best to leave that alone, I think.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The association between pointy hats and ancient wizardry is a dubious one, possibly associated with antisemitism. Best to leave that alone, I think.

Er, no?  I like pointy hats, so I want them.  Best to not give a **** about some unfounded claims that have no relevance here.

• Like 6

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams