Is it her looks or her facial expression?

It's an rpg, stretch your imagination. She's probably just scowling at someone who doesn't appreciate academic pursuits. That doesn't mean she can't be charming, she also seems like a character quite wrapped in her own business.

More about her facial traits,

But overall, it's how she will act in the game that will show how charming she is !

Too bad we didn't reach the 5M Stretch Goal though, because she won't interact that much.

Bonteru- A mountain dwarf rogue obsessed with exploring the Deadfire and cataloguing its various poisonous plants and creatures. Bonteru has memorized the effects of hundreds of different poisons and is all too happy to describe them in detail to anyone who will listen.

Radora- Ocean Folk/Vailian human wizard. She has difficulty keeping a captain's position for long. According to her, she's at her best when she's had a few to "take the edge off", though she swears she never drinks at sea.

Uh yeah.... Not exactly.

Per Josh's follow up tweet those images are actually for Konstanten, and Fessina.  Bronteru and Radora are in his own words, "dust in the wind #rip".

Ydwin I am 100% okay with, read her blurb.  She sounds like a sort of more cold and calculated person, and any "cheer" is purely for effect.

Rekke... I don't like that portrait.  His description is a strange looking man who washed up on shore and speaks in tongues.  That portrait doesn't look strange at all, or like a person who would speak in tongues.  I would have associated that portrait more with someone that had Radora's backstory, a wizard trying to become a pirate captain.  But then his backstory may be totally different now.

'speak in tongues' is just speaking in something totally foriegn to you, doesn't have to be speaking demonspeak. Rekke just speaks something that doesn't sound anything close to known languages. It's like Aedyrian and closely related known languages being the indo-european family branch, Rauataian being another language family and Rekke speaking from another language branch entirely.

Edited by smjjames

The portraits are all well drawn and express some form of personality. Nice job. I enjoy ydwins portrait a lot more than her concept art but it still feels too "modern" to me.

It's probably the hair style. Renaissance hair styles on women are typically more elaborate; hers is modern and functional. But it's a different culture and she's an elf, so historical rules don't really apply.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Ydwin's new portrait is most fitting given the new blurb about her. She looks most intelligent and is all-business now, it seems. Me like! :)

It's my favourite of the portraits shown here.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The portraits are all well drawn and express some form of personality. Nice job. I enjoy ydwins portrait a lot more than her concept art but it still feels too "modern" to me.

It's probably the hair style. Renaissance hair styles on women are typically more elaborate; hers is modern and functional. But it's a different culture and she's an elf, so historical rules don't really apply.

I think it's more the clothes and the glasses. It gives a Victorias vibe, as someone else mentioned.

I think it's more the clothes and the glasses. It gives a Victorias vibe, as someone else mentioned.

Glasses were available during the Renaissance.

eyeglasses.jpg

• Like 2

But they weren't widespread enough to leave a mark on our cultural memory.

It's not a question of what existed or not. It's a question of connotation - what does it remind us of, where have we seen it before, where has it become prominent.

Glasses were depicted relatively rarely before the 19th century - they were less widespread, and you usually didn't paint them on portraits. With a better understanding of how the body works (the eye, in this case), and the advent of both industrialisation (to produce the things in larger numbers) and photography (to depict them more frequently), glasses started to leave an impression in our collective memory. And that's what that "Victorian vibe" refers to - a feeling, a mood.

So yeah - having them, is fine for the intended tech level. That doesn't necessarily change what people may think at first glance.

Edited by Varana
  • Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Ydwin's new portrait is most fitting given the new blurb about her. She looks most intelligent and is all-business now, it seems. Me like! :)

It's my favourite of the portraits shown here.

New blurbs?  Where are these new blurbs to be found?

I painted the whole gang this time except Eder

Dun dun dun!!!!!!!!!

If you don't mind telling us, what was the reason you guys didn't just keep the original companion portraits?

The fact that five years passed and they wouldn't be quite the same people as they once were?

I painted the whole gang this time except Eder

Dun dun dun!!!!!!!!!

If you don't mind telling us, what was the reason you guys didn't just keep the original companion portraits?

I'm more interested in why she didn't paint Eder!  What has the poor guy done?!

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

But they weren't widespread enough to leave a mark on our cultural memory.

It's not a question of what existed or not. It's a question of connotation - what does it remind us of, where have we seen it before, where has it become prominent.

Glasses were depicted relatively rarely before the 19th century - they were less widespread, and you usually didn't paint them on portraits. With a better understanding of how the body works (the eye, in this case), and the advent of both industrialisation (to produce the things in larger numbers) and photography (to depict them more frequently), glasses started to leave an impression in our collective memory. And that's what that "Victorian vibe" refers to - a feeling, a mood.

So yeah - having them, is fine for the intended tech level. That doesn't necessarily change what people may think at first glance.

Mmm... Galileo? Telescope?

• 3 months later...

Does anyone think that the companions might have been created so Obsidian wouldn't have to design new companions from scratch for the expansions?

How cool would it be if you had to chase a companion that stole something from you?

Or it turned out in the expansion one was the villain. And ofcourse upgrading them to full cast would rule.

That is exactly what i think they are.

Plot in the future.

I like the fact you can play with a character the whole game. Upgrade em. Level em. Build them up. And then some extra story.

And not that you play main quest with a group. Then suddenly 2 strangers fall from the sky to join the last 25% of the game.

Does anyone think that the companions might have been created so Obsidian wouldn't have to design new companions from scratch for the expansions?

How cool would it be if you had to chase a companion that stole something from you?

Or it turned out in the expansion one was the villain. And ofcourse upgrading them to full cast would rule.

That is exactly what i think they are.

Plot in the future.

I like the fact you can play with a character the whole game. Upgrade em. Level em. Build them up. And then some extra story.

And not that you play main quest with a group. Then suddenly 2 strangers fall from the sky to join the last 25% of the game.

Haha. Ydwin steals your Watchersoul for animancy reasons a la Jon Irenicus and leaves you lvl1 AGAIN for the third game hahaha. You lose your soul more then a gambling addict stuck in an elevator with The Devil.

The Watcher of Caed Nua will be the Main Villain at some point.

& you, the Player, will have to stop him.

The choices you made AS the Watcher in I & II, will affect the world where your new protagonist evolves.

So you can see the consequences occur, made by the Watcher (now the Main Villian).

Over the entire Game, you will believe that you ARE still the Watcher of Caed Nua, but in fact, the real Watcher (from I & II), created you, by taking a part of his own soul.

He put it in a hollowborn body, as an experiment only he, (The real Watcher) knows what the purpose of this, was.

Big twist is that you believed you were THE Watcher of Caed Nua the entire time, but you were not, only a reminiscence of a past Live.

And now, you have to fight for your own life, searching for answers from your Creator.

Why did he created you, what was his goal ?

Your Goal is to Seek & Destroy your Evil Creator. (or talk your way through)

To summarize, your New Character will suffer from the consequences introduced by the real Watcher.

Pitch for Eternity III.

:grin:

Edited by DexGames
  • Like 1

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/913565055207194625

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/913579097292337152

Pretty sweet, yeah? Just saw them myself and wanted to share. The famous Ydwin looks like a vampire chick.

They do look beautiful and yeah she does lol

Famous? I think you mean Infamous :p or maybe famous for waifu hunters...

Lastly, I would love if Deadfire had vampires.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...