https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/913565055207194625

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/913579097292337152

Pretty sweet, yeah? Just saw them myself and wanted to share. The famous Ydwin looks like a vampire chick.

Reminder:

Bonteru- A mountain dwarf rogue obsessed with exploring the Deadfire and cataloguing its various poisonous plants and creatures. Bonteru has memorized the effects of hundreds of different poisons and is all too happy to describe them in detail to anyone who will listen.

Ydwin- A strange pale elf cipher from "a lot of different places". Fascinated by animancy, Ydwin spends her free time examining fresh and not-so-fresh corpses. Though she has a charming and pleasant demeanor, new acquaintances are often shocked at her intimate familiarity with death and her dispassionate affect in the face of even the most grisly scenes.

Rekke- An odd-looking man that the Principi rescued from a floating piece of flotsam on the eastern edge of the Deadfire Archipelago. He doesn't speak a word of any language that anyone can understand, but he's cheery and willing to lend a hand to any company he finds himself in. He's just happy to be alive(at least, that's what everyone assumes). Storm Folk fighter.

Radora- Ocean Folk/Vailian human wizard. She has difficulty keeping a captain's position for long. According to her, she's at her best when she's had a few to "take the edge off", though she swears she never drinks at sea.

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 2

Other topic's about Sidekicks stories, he just wanna talk about the Portraits themselves.

I don't see the point of flaming.  :down:

Nonetheless, Radora inmmediately made me think of Ellaria Sand from GoT.

I think Radora & Ydwin are the best ones, but still Ydwin doesn't feel like her concept art, her glasses were bigger,

her haircut wasn't quite like they are now. 

But well, I'm pretty sure someone will make an awesome Custom Portrait of Ydwin that I can replace the original with  :thumbsup:

C5X5Gg7WYAEkCZD.jpg1506697907-ydwin.png

Something doesn't feel right...  :shrugz:

Edited by DexGames
  • Like 4

But well, I'm pretty sure someone will make an awesome Custom Portrait of Ydwin that I can replace the original with  :thumbsup:

She looks like a Victorian vampire in the first one and like a serious Victorian vampire in the second one.

Going by her hobbies, I think the seriousness is on point.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Now, comparing both side by side the new portrait is much more similar to original concept than I thought at first. The tone seems much different. The early draft looks playful, cheerful the new portraits looks "older". I like all the new portraits a lot. Good stuff.

Edited by Wormerine

Lindsey Laney

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I like Bonteru and Radora's a lot, Ydwin's is very well drawn but I don't really like it, not sure how I feel about Rekke's.

Have to agree on Ydwin. In the concept she looks cheeky and playful, but in the portrait she looks bitter and angry. It kinda reminds me of that guy actually. http://criticalrole.wikia.com/wiki/File:Percy2.png And i absolutely hate him. :)

Edited by Sakai

Bonteru- A mountain dwarf rogue obsessed with exploring the Deadfire and cataloguing its various poisonous plants and creatures. Bonteru has memorized the effects of hundreds of different poisons and is all too happy to describe them in detail to anyone who will listen.

Radora- Ocean Folk/Vailian human wizard. She has difficulty keeping a captain's position for long. According to her, she's at her best when she's had a few to "take the edge off", though she swears she never drinks at sea.

Uh yeah.... Not exactly.

Per Josh's follow up tweet those images are actually for Konstanten, and Fessina.  Bronteru and Radora are in his own words, "dust in the wind #rip".

Ydwin I am 100% okay with, read her blurb.  She sounds like a sort of more cold and calculated person, and any "cheer" is purely for effect.

Rekke... I don't like that portrait.  His description is a strange looking man who washed up on shore and speaks in tongues.  That portrait doesn't look strange at all, or like a person who would speak in tongues.  I would have associated that portrait more with someone that had Radora's backstory, a wizard trying to become a pirate captain.  But then his backstory may be totally different now.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

Rekke... I don't like that portrait.  His description is a strange looking man who washed up on shore and speaks in tongues.  That portrait doesn't look strange at all, or like a person who would speak in tongues.  I would have associated that portrait more with someone that had Radora's backstory, a wizard trying to become a pirate captain.  But then his backstory may be totally different now.

A ginger asian is pretty unique, I'd say unprecedentedly so across any medium. I buy it.

If I remember correctly,

Ydwin evokes a "Strange Feeling" when she's around, & yeah... She does in her Portrait, but :

• Ydwin- A strange pale elf cipher from "a lot of different places". Fascinated by animancy, Ydwin spends her free time examining fresh and not-so-fresh corpses.  Though she has a charming and pleasant demeanor, new acquaintances are often shocked at her intimate familiarity with death and her dispassionate affect in the face of even the most grisly scenes.

I don't get that "underlined" feeling of her being Cheeky & Charming (well... it's Ydwin, she IS charming) but, First : She looks older, & Second : Her Portait doesn't reflects her description, I think that's what people (Almost everybody) noticed & "Sort of Complained" about, when Josh released her Portrait.

Still like her Lindsey ! If it's how she looks, I'm totaly fine with it. (Pretty sure most of us are) 

• Like 2

Is it her looks or her facial expression?

It's an rpg, stretch your imagination. She's probably just scowling at someone who doesn't appreciate academic pursuits. That doesn't mean she can't be charming, she also seems like a character quite wrapped in her own business.

A ginger asian is pretty unique, I'd say unprecedentedly so across any medium. I buy it.

It is not all that uncommon among Mongolians. 

2nbvsc3.jpg

• Like 3

I really like the Ydwin portrait. Originally I didn't have much interest for the character because she was way too "anime" for my taste but that more serious tone of the portrait makes her a lot more likeable.

Indeed. I did not like the first concept art - at all - but am rather enamoured of her portrait. I'm starting to look forward to her inclusion in the game now.

That said, I should add that I just love all of these portraits. I admire your craftsmanship MS. Laney.

Edited by gogocactus

Nonetheless, Radora inmmediately made me think of Ellaria Sand from GoT.

I think Radora & Ydwin are the best ones, but still Ydwin doesn't feel like her concept art, her glasses were bigger,

her haircut wasn't quite like they are now.

Out of those 4 I like Rekke most for example)

I mean all those are quality portrais, but I personally don't feel eager to have companions with Ydwin and Radora facial expressions, or the eyes of Bonteru... (e.g. looking at Radora's mouth/eyes I get a feeling that she feels frustration/disgust/fear)

Agreed, Ydwin's portrait is great, but she looks like a tired and overly serious vampire professor.

I was expecting her to be more enthusiastic. Think of Elise Trailblazer from Hearthstone (but bleached out): image + pixie haircut + round glasses.

All in all, I will maybe use a custom portrait as well (khm, something like this quick collage), or at least slightly edit current version:

1506697907-ydwin.pngpvySswI.png

#madpaintnetskills

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 6

Lindsey Laney

All 4 of them?

That I know of, yes. I think she’s drawn all companion portraits for Deadfire, but since she’s got eyes on this thread perhaps she’ll chime in to confirm or deny :)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus