To everyone complaining about the price changes...

I disagree that they ripped off mobile purchasers. I refuse to call foul because they provided a way for people who didn't shell out the cash for the game to get so much content. Yeah, I can see people being angry that they purchased a product in good will that so many managed to mooch for free. That's the way of the world. They had a bad model for selling the game and subsequently came to their senses. So, while some people might have a legitimate beef, I still think people like me, who bought the game the first day and then paid for the upgrade, should not be angry that others managed to work the system to get much of the same thing. They could work the system and they did. Good for them. A lot of people do.The idea that people who were gaming the system should be angry that Obsidian wisely changed their model is just silly. I don't take for granted that you're a troll, Rubarack. The early days of Fallout have convinced me that people can be unreasonably and unfairly enraged out of a sense of entitlement. These people aren't bad. They're merely misguided.I went away from the keyboard to do other stuff and now I figure I might lose this erudite post because the thread was rightfully locked while I was gone. If that happens, I won't have grounds for complaint.

So in your mind the fact I spent money and got nothing in return is not a grounds for complaint?
  • Like 1

I've been away for a while, but can't you still buy treasure chests? That's a serious question because, while I won't think it's worth the nerd rage entirely, I will concede that you have a point if you simply can't use gold at all. If you can use that gold for anything, then your accusation is unfounded. Moreover, if you spent more on gold than you would have spent on the base game, then I'll simply think you made a bad decision, although Obsidian's idiotic plan on how to sell the game was a painful learning experience. I want to be up front in that I do sympathize with you. Probably not nearly as much as you think you deserve and the sympathy of some random internet guy doesn't help you, but there it is.

So, I'm assuming that you bought less than the base game worth of gold and that you can only use that gold for treasure chests. If that's not true, let me know. In all sincerity, I'd rather not make baseless assumptions. If you can't buy anything, then I suppose you have some right of complaint. If, however, you can still buy chests, you spent money that is still to your benefit, simply not the benefit you'd most like.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

I've been away for a while, but can't you still buy treasure chests? That's a serious question because, while I won't think it's worth the nerd rage entirely, I will concede that you have a point if you simply can't use gold at all. If you can use that gold for anything, then your accusation is unfounded. Moreover, if you spent more on gold than you would have spent on the base game, then I'll simply think you made a bad decision, although Obsidian's idiotic plan on how to sell the game was a painful learning experience. I want to be up front in that I do sympathize with you. Probably not nearly as much as you think you deserve and the sympathy of some random internet guy doesn't help you, but there it is.So, I'm assuming that you bought less than the base game worth of gold and that you can only use that gold for treasure chests. If that's not true, let me know. In all sincerity, I'd rather not make baseless assumptions. If you can't buy anything, then I suppose you have some right of complaint. If, however, you can still buy chests, you spent money that is still to your benefit, simply not the benefit you'd most like.

You can still buy Treasure Chests, but they still have absolutely zero value. I'm curious why that's where you draw the line. If a store no longer honours gift vouchers that's a problem, but if they let you redeem them for wads of pre-chewed gum it's fine?

The analogy is flawed. I think there is still value in what the gold will get and, if I remember it right, they said from day one that they'd tinker with the pricing and what would be offered both for free to play or paid gold. Caueat emptor.

I don't think I can convince you, but I do appreciate you genuinely feel aggrieved. I'd say keep complaining. After all, while I disagree about the gold, I understand that bitching about what you perceive as a wrong can something be therapeutic.

χαίρετε

You're not the first to point out the error in his reasoning. Unfortunately, he doesn't need your encouragement to keep repeating the same flawed argument.

• Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I think we're at a point where we all agree that nothing was actually stolen from players.  The issue at hand is that the subjective valuation of in-game currency may have taken a hit depending on one's long-term plans for it.

And the funny thing is that the posters here aren't entirely wrong.  It would be nice if there were some things to spend gold on other than consumables and chests.  I'm not sure what form that would take, but maybe buying additional stash slots or rotating the "enhancement" cards every now and then would provide a few other options.

• Like 1

My experience is that people who feel wronged will complain and probably longer the more people argue with them. However, ideally, Obsidian could find some way to accommodate the aggrieved (or self-perceived aggrieved) parties while still being responsible with their backers' financing and keeping talent on board and well compensated. Yeah, I know, Polyanna. Since that's impossible, they can only juggle the three.

If the devs can find a way to provide what you're suggesting while still making enough money to give us the next campaign, I'd be ecstatic, Ethics Gradient. I don't have a ton of faith that we'll see it, but I'm ever hopeful.

• Like 3

χαίρετε

Obsidian could find some way to accommodate the aggrieved (or self-perceived aggrieved) parties while still being responsible with their backers' financing and keeping talent on board and well compensated. Yeah, I know, Polyanna. Since that's impossible, they can only juggle the three.

Oh.  No.  I'm not suggesting that we'll go back to content for gold.  If I were to comb through my posts, I could probably find something from over a year ago where I argued it might be better for the game if that were phased out.  The generous F2P model was pretty cool, but we'll never see another Adventure Path if all the developers have to show for their effort is a huge pile of in-game gold.

What I would suggest, is that there might be a fair amount of low-effort opportunities to get users to spend their reserves.  For instance, we've had the same seven "enhancement" cards in the store for forever.  Even changing it up monthly would be pretty radical.

The question isn't so much "should a lot more stuff be sold for gold?" it is "how does gold remain a relevant currency for players?"  The economy realignment happened fairly suddenly (even if expected for a long time), but it was the opening salvo in trying to stabilize the currencies and answer that second question.

• Like 5

What I would suggest, is that there might be a fair amount of low-effort opportunities to get users to spend their reserves.  For instance, we've had the same seven "enhancement" cards in the store for forever.  Even changing it up monthly would be pretty radical.

There's alot that Obsidian could do with the gold acquisition. More variety in the daily / weekly challenges would be a start; some kind of stats and leaderboards to build the community could be next. If we're online anyway this shouldn't be too difficult. Sentinels of the Multiverse has weekly challenges, and hunts to unlock variant cards with the winners getting props online.

• Like 1

I really like this suggestion. I think new dice options might be nice also.

• Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

The analogy is flawed. I think there is still value in what the gold will get and, if I remember it right, they said from day one that they'd tinker with the pricing and what would be offered both for free to play or paid gold. Caveat emptor.

I don't think I can convince you, but I do appreciate you genuinely feel aggrieved. I'd say keep complaining. After all, while I disagree about the gold, I understand that bitching about what you perceive as a wrong can something be therapeutic.

Okay, you think there is value in what gold can be used to purchase but there's a clear line between things that cannot be purchased with gold and things that can. The former have value and the latter do not. Ultimately that's the entire point of this new system, allowing people to get valuable content for free was obviously a problem, but the inverse, not allowing people to get valuable content for their money is also a problem.

My experience is that people who feel wronged will complain and probably longer the more people argue with them. However, ideally, Obsidian could find some way to accommodate the aggrieved (or self-perceived aggrieved) parties while still being responsible with their backers' financing and keeping talent on board and well compensated. Yeah, I know, Polyanna. Since that's impossible, they can only juggle the three.

That is definitely true. There's little worse after being aggrieved than people siding with the one who did the aggrieving.

I don't think accommodating those different values is so difficult at all. It would have been far easier had they handled this well in the first place but offering an apology and restitution people who have purchased gold but not spent that much on gold or characters or adventures should do it. Ultimately caveat emptor runs both ways and making further expansions will be hard if their customers are working on that principle.

At any rate I've gained whatever catharsis I can out of this situation and feel better about it. I'm no happier with Obsidian, that can really only happen if support end up helping but I don't feel nearly so bitter.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ignore the haters, Rubarack. You've been cheated out of your money, and you have every right to be upset by that.

You can use gold for chest, charms, runes, and the "enhancement" cards.

Those things are not worth spending money on, in Rubarack's opinion or in mine.