Just how big a success will Deadfire be in your opinion ?

From what footage we've seen, POE2 looks like it will pass the eyeball text more than 1 did. For many that won't matter if it doesn't review well and/or is very buggy at release. And there's a subset of people who will see that its a direct sequel will pass over it because they don't want to start in the middle of the story and also don't want to play the first.

I never want to see the word niche again. Everyone is obsessed with it on here.

Why, though? Pillars is niche. It's a game with a comparatively narrow appeal and doesn't really hide it.

Why do we need to keep pointing it out at any opportunity?

It is what it is! It's own special creation.

nowt

And there's a subset of people who will see that its a direct sequel will pass over it because they don't want to start in the middle of the story and also don't want to play the first.

I'm pretty sure more people played Baldur's Gate 2 than 1 and they did't care if the game started in the middle, at 7th even, without any "decide the previous story" mechanic. I know I was one for sure.

The game will go well, I believe, well enough for Obsidian to care about making more games like this and, at least, maybe inspire some other companies to make similar games. Which is the most I can care about the ammount of success Deadfire will have.

Edited by Sedrefilos

I never want to see the word niche again. Everyone is obsessed with it on here.

Well somebody's got a niche they need to scratch. As that famous philosopher Nietzsche would say, "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."

Game on.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Guest Blutwurstritter

I don't think that it will do much better than PoE 1. I liked PoE 1 but it didn't strike me as special game that i will remember for a long time. It achieved what it strived for but not more. PoE 2 has to be a large improvement or otherwise it won't gain many new players. I hope Obsidian is successful but i wouldn't bet on it.

D:OS2 being hailed as RPG of the year (so far) also has a lot to do with the competition being quite lackluster in 2017. AFAICS, there were two possible contenders (on PC; no idea about console-only titles), Torment and Mass Effect: Andromeda. Now, even if it had turned out to be great, Torment is even more niche than Pillars. And it didn't turn out great. As for ME:A, well... you know.

That said, ME:A still sold decently (though probably below EA's expectations), and D:OS2 won't easily surpass it, if at all. Even a mediocre shooter-RPG like ME:A will always sell better than a superb isometric RPG.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

About Deadfire being a sequel and Poe not being enough appealing to new public, the PoE finals set on Deadfire's start could solve it if is good enough, it would be a good idea to include it on the launch trailer and give it some emphasis to avoid people thinking of Deadfire being a sequel as an inconvenient.

D:OS2 being hailed as RPG of the year (so far) also has a lot to do with the competition being quite lackluster in 2017. AFAICS, there were two possible contenders (on PC; no idea about console-only titles), 

2017 has been a super strong year for RPG so far, especially if you have a PS4:

Nier:Automata

Nioh

Persona 5

Horizon Zero Dawn

Zelda:Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wuii exclusive)

Out of that list, Zelda: Breath of the Wild is pretty much the #1 game of all time now, Persona 5 was called a GOTY candidate and Horizon Zero Dawn was said to be the new The Witcher 3 at release.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

D:OS2 being hailed as RPG of the year (so far) also has a lot to do with the competition being quite lackluster in 2017. AFAICS, there were two possible contenders (on PC; no idea about console-only titles), 

Nioh

Persona 5

Horizon Zero Dawn

Out of that list, Zelda: Breath of the Wild is pretty much the #1 game of all time now, Persona 5 was called a GOTY candidate and Horizon Zero Dawn was said to be the new The Witcher 3 at release.

:D There is only one RPG on that list and its jRPG.

• Like 3

Nioh

Persona 5

Horizon Zero Dawn

:D There is only one RPG on that list and its jRPG.

Well, there's three if you count Action-RPG's. I would, but to each their own.

You could add FF12:TZA there too, if you count Remasters.

As far as Deadfire's success goes, I fully expect it to beat the original, but aside from that I have no idea. I hope that it goes on to rival D:OS2 on the RPG market, but I'm not expecting it to make near as much of a splash as D:OS2 did.

Nioh

Persona 5

Horizon Zero Dawn

I see no rpg in there :p

These games have a very different target group and, except Persona maybe, they are popular genres.

• Like 1

The definition of an rpg has slid a lot over the last few years. The classical style is almost non-existent for younger people. The youngest people who really grew up with classical stuff are poor and busy starting their careers now, so the target of crpgs has shifted even older as of late. Now you've got empty nesters with too much time on their hands playing these games.

Nioh

Persona 5

Horizon Zero Dawn

I see no rpg in there :p

These games have a very different target group and, except Persona maybe, they are popular genres.

I don't think The Witcher 3 is a RPG, but the people who gave it RPG GOTY and called it the best RPG ever sure did... What a single person think is or not a RPG is totally meaningless when it comes to attribute games awards.

Edited by morhilane
  • Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.