Your perfect world state for PoE2 (NEW QUESTIONS UPDATE!)

111 members have voted

1. 1. Fancy participating in a more than 3-question survey? Link in the OP

• Yes
    • No

Btw. shouldn't Galawain's choice effect our party to have stronger souls also? Or is the machine's racist and effected only dyrwoodans, then at least Eder, Durance, GM & Hiravias & DoC should have got stronger souls, no? :p

That is an interesting question. I assumed it work “in proximity” rather than through genealogy.

Btw. shouldn't Galawain's choice effect our party to have stronger souls also? Or is the machine's racist and effected only dyrwoodans, then at least Eder, Durance, GM & Hiravias & DoC should have got stronger souls, no? :p

That is an interesting question. I assumed it work “in proximity” rather than through genealogy.

Maybe the machine targets the closest relatives of the Hollowborn (thus Dyrwoodans in general and not your party).

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

NEW QUESTIONS UPDATE!

Due to popular demand and my own realization I decided to add 2 more questions to the survey. Because there are 50+ votes already, this is my proposition to you: I EDITED THE POLL SO ALL QUESTIONS ARE NOT MANDATORY - VISIT THE POLL AGAIN AND FILL IN THE TWO LAST QUESTIONS ONLY, REGARDIN LLENGRATH AND THAOS.

If you're new to the poll feel free to answer all of the questions.

Now it is also possible to pick the "died" option fo the companions.

Thanks!

EDIT: When I was editing the name Breith Eaman in the survey someone already cast a vote, so now it seems there are two answers for this in the results (which is bad), but still one possibility to choose from (which is good). Sorry for the mixup.

Edited by Messier-31

Tbh I felt a bit conflicted about Llengrath and Thaos.

Regarding Llengrath I had the following attitude: oh you are ****y and want to fight? Come and get it.

But because her spells/grimoire will be lost when importing to Deadfire, and because there was a mentioning that Mental Prowess talent might get into the sequel, ok, I'll make a pact with you. So I don't really know what to answer.

Regarding Thaos: [returning his soul to the cycle], [banishing] or [erasing his memory] felt like non-options, because any god as I understood could easily revert it. Thus I was choosing the "destroy his soul" every single time. And because of what he did to Iovara it's kinda obvious that it is the last choice (i.e. "Destroy his soul, stating that he has caused too much pain and deserves to die"). At the same time I would gladly lock him into the soul prison, if I was 100% sure that he would remain there.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

I destroyed Thaos' soul purely for going against the cliche that "good guy fights the bad guy, defeats him, spares him then bad guy recovers somehow and comes after the good guy again", no friggin way he won't :p Tho there is no way he'd be at the same strength/importance if there were to be a reactivity for it in Deadfire or in another game later on. It would potentially be a cool boss fight tho.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I've been thinking, that my perfect word state would include DoC surviving somehow.

Her soul could be transferred to some existing (and preserved) hollowborn body. Even if you do choose to return the souls to original bodies, there for sure could be some fragmented/broken ones that failed to do that.

• Like 2

I've been thinking, that my perfect word state would include DoC surviving somehow.

Her soul could be transferred to some existing (and preserved) hollowborn body. Even if you do choose to return the souls to original bodies, there for sure could be some fragmented/broken ones that failed to do that.

This got me thinking actually.  We know that if you go through with her quest she

walks off into the ocean as a kind of suicide

, and its an ocean that Deadfire is set in which has random encounters at sea, so there is a possibility that we could end up dredging her up!  She isn't a companion (unless she is like a secret companion) but we do know that former companions from the first game may appear or at least cameo in the game, so we may find a piece of her at least.

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Well, if i recall correctly, my Priest of Eothas, diplomatic goody goody two-shoes character, ended up siding with Hylea at the very end. Sending the souls back into their bodies, felt the most... Eothasian choice to me. Giving the poor hollowborn a second chance, rebirth, renewal, felt fitting. For Thaos... I think i just sent him back to the wheel. I really wanted to just destroy him completely or send his soul into that prison, buuuuut you know... Redemption and whatnot.

Other than that, my character ended up being... Pro-dragons (mostly because i was playing on POTD ironman and was too scared to actually fight any of them and risk losing the save game, but uhh.... roleplay wise, we can say that... He felt that killing the Dragons was... bad? Shut up!). I ended up helping out the Alpine dragon by putting his soul back together, let the Sky Dragon stay in the temple, freed the Adra Dragon (hardest one to rationalize, because the Dragon was kind of a douche, buuuuut, you could say that as a Priest of Eothas, he felt as if the Dragon should get a second chance as opposed to being imprisoned in a dank cavern under the ground for eternity or until it dies because it runs out of souls to eat).
When it came to Llengrath, i did again decide to avoid fighting her/him/them and trade knowledge with them (i did get to keep Concelhaut's head floating around me, but i'm not entirely sure if that's intended? Maybe i missed something in the dialogue, because i'd really think Llengrath would've taken the skull even if we don't fight).

For companions, Eder became a member of the Night Market, Aloth ended up hunting down the Leaden Key (with Iselmyr), Pallegina became a Kind Wayfarer, Durance became a crazy naked hobo without magic (as opposed to the crazy robed hobo with magic), Grieving mother settled down in Dyrford (i did not delete her memories, which was sort of a theme with the other companions as well, like Maneha), Hiravias became the "autumn druid", Zahua came back home and united some people or something, Kana became some eccentric drunk back home because he had no evidence for the crazy **** that happened and the Devil of Caroc went into the sea.

I don't remember what happened to Maneha.

Oh, yeah, i also chose the Crucible Knights (without the Killer Automatons in their ranks).

This got me thinking actually.  We know that if you go through with her quest she.. [...]

Yea. I was thinking how to retcon this, and there definitely are few ways to bring her back.

This would require modding though. And PoE1 was quite rusty in this regard. But who knows what Deadfire will bring...

• Like 1

The only thing on the document that I did differently was murder Simoc myself.  Long story short, after a year of sleep deprivation my characters half baked manipulation of Simoc blew up in her face, and he attacked her.

Edited by Ryvnai

Same. It's not clear that she couldn't have survived the walking into the sea thing. It's mentioned that she rusts and can no longer move, but she's aware of this which suggests she's still alive. Hopefully we'll dredge her up.

• Like 1

Same. It's not clear that she couldn't have survived the walking into the sea thing. It's mentioned that she rusts and can no longer move, but she's aware of this which suggests she's still alive. Hopefully we'll dredge her up.

I suspect she'd come up even more messed up then when she left us.  I can't imagine being trapped under the ocean for years unable to move would be good for your psyche.  Then add in rymrgand and ondras influence?  I'd be surprised if she remembered us.

Edited by Ryvnai

I suspect she'd come up even more messed up then when she left us.  I can't imagine being trapped under the ocean for years unable to move would be good for your psyche.  Then add in rymrgand and ondras influence?  I'd be surprised if she remembered us.

That's fine by me  :biggrin:

Edited by JerekKruger

• 2 months later...

I will stick to my first playthrough even though it is not an ideal one. I regret suppressing Isilmir (I still stand by choice, but I would prefer to have her in Deadfire, and Pallegina’s fate wasn’t what I hoped for (she got kicked out). I would also prefer to let Audra Dragon live in case she reappears. Still, choices I have made and I will stick to them. I will see other outcomes on later playthroughs.

I'm not really sure that Pallegina joining the Kind Wayfarers is necessarily a bad ending. While she did some some regard for the best interests of the republics (in that she believed her course of action was sensible for the republics too), she always had an undercurrent of concern for the Dyrwood itself that contradicted her duty to the republics. For instance, the Dyrwood abandoning animancy would practically give her home nation(s) supremacy over animancy development, yet she still strongly supported animancy research int he Dyrwood because she thought it was better for the people themselves.

I guess what I'm saying is that while she may feel estranged with the kind wayfarers at times, I imagine she would have fewer contradicting goals in their service. When I completed the game for the second time... I still let her figure herself out.

Edited by Yenkaz

It's almost 5 months and over 270 participants later.

Because the release of the sequel is quite near a little summary is in order:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfU-QiwWJ7nfhOcABVcNvfu-h-XGH-gs0l-WL2nqus7NRzcMg/viewanalytics

As of today (2018-02-19) there were 271 participants, and the main conclusion of this survey is the fact that most players want good endings, you angels at heart you. It was debated before in this thread, and the trend easily managed to stay this way.

Souls of the Hollowborn

The winner is Hylea's choice, followed by Galawain's choice. The second runner up is Berath's choice, and other choices are pretty far behind. Most of the players are leaning to "good" ending, because the semi-good Wael comes next, and the ones considered to be kinda evil are barely seen on the graph.

Angered gods

No angered gods choice destroyed the other possible outcomes (it figures, you goody-two-shoes players). Angering gods in Pillars of Eternity is like being atheist in Poland.

Defiance Bay

Another strong victory for a choice considered mostly good. The Crucible Knights abandon their forge-knight project and establish order in the city. Most players probably view this faction as some kind of a noble order, so this is their pick. But doubts are more visible here, as the following Dozens are not in a bad shape. House Doemenel in shadows is the first not so noble choice to have such a following.

Animancy's fate

Animancy is acquited, Sanitarium rebuilt gets over 80%. I can tell that you like science and progress in the real life.

The Master Below

The Master is mostly killed, but some did set him/her free. I wonder, was it because they wanted/roleplayed it, or just had trouble fighting it... huh.

Pallegina

Half of you makes her a Kind Wayfarer in the end. Another noble thing to you, don't you think? Following choice is banished and pardoned, which means that again you good guys make her go against the ducs! Almost 3/4 of players want to save Dyrwood.

Edér

For the majority of players he ends up as mayor, but the secret eothasian organisation has a strong representation too. For a noticeable group of players (11% is quite a lot) this guy doesn't get his quest solved at all.

Aloth

Aloth dismantles the Leaden Key crushed the opposition, am I surprised? No. But there is quite a lot of players who thought that making him a grandmaster instead will benefit you somehow. Meaningless amount of elf haters here.

Vela, the orlan baby

Wow, what a score, this is almost tied you know. So you just wanna poison Simoc, but can't decide whether to take the baby for yourself? I'm amazed that more than 12% of players skipped this quest.

The Eyeless

Another almost tied score. Again the good nature of mankind makes you wanna restore Abydon, but you are almost equally divided when it comes to tempering him. Given the fact that tempering is quite difficult to achieve I'm surprised with this score. Maybe it coulda been higher were it not the scripted trouble. Some destroyers in the miniroty.

Llengrath

What's with these tied scores lately? Kill or pact, it seems there is no major preference, but killing seems to take the slight lead. For a bunch of do-gooders you really like to kill a lot of people.

Thaos

Ah, the cherry ot the top. Majority erases his memories and lets his soul go: again noble. But there are in fact two destroy options (with different incentives) so I must say that destroy choice is the winner here.

Whatever the case, I'm really looking forward to see some of these choices have an impact in Deadfire.

Thanks for voting!

• Like 1

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfU-QiwWJ7nfhOcABVcNvfu-h-XGH-gs0l-WL2nqus7NRzcMg/viewanalytics

As of today (2018-02-19) there were 271 participants, and the main conclusion of this survey is the fact that most players want good endings, you angels at heart you. It was debated before in this thread, and the trend easily managed to stay this way.

Souls of the Hollowborn

The winner is Hylea's choice, followed by Galawain's choice. The second runner up is Berath's choice, and other choices are pretty far behind. Most of the players are leaning to "good" ending, because the semi-good Wael comes next, and the ones considered to be kinda evil are barely seen on the graph.

I would call Magran's scheme only secondary in evilness to Woedica. Both Hylea's and Berath's solutions are essentially the same with the question being if the few newborn and neonates that might recover would be worth the impaired older children and grief over having killed hollowborn compared to a hard reset.

Wael is a bit neutral, but frankly so is Rymrgand in that these souls may be damaged and the entropy of souls is apparantly a neutral phenomenon anyway.

However, Woedica sought to use the souls toward her own end, empowering herself by stealing them away from children. Magran is essentially doing the same thing, just giving it to a population that is now unevenly worshipping her due to the Saint's War. It's *still* equivalent to using the souls to empower yourself on the tower.

Defiance Bay

Another strong victory for a choice considered mostly good. The Crucible Knights abandon their forge-knight project and establish order in the city. Most players probably view this faction as some kind of a noble order, so this is their pick. But doubts are more visible here, as the following Dozens are not in a bad shape. House Doemenel in shadows is the first not so noble choice to have such a following.

Not as much 'noble order' as a more or less functional city guard instead of an angry mob or a mob family.

The Master Below

The Master is mostly killed, but some did set him/her free. I wonder, was it because they wanted/roleplayed it, or just had trouble fighting it... huh.

I killed the master first time, but... The second time I couldn't make myself do it again. It felt like this creature should have a chance to experience the world which it had observed for so long, for better or worse.

It was one of the deeply morally questionable things I did during the runs, the other was abducting Vela...

Pallegina

Half of you makes her a Kind Wayfarer in the end. Another noble thing to you, don't you think? Following choice is banished and pardoned, which means that again you good guys make her go against the ducs! Almost 3/4 of players want to save Dyrwood.

I wasn't noble - she was. In the end I left the decision to her and her decision was to not broker the deal she was supposed to. Paladin orders are all about dedication to a cause, and clearly she's more concerned with the overall common good than the orders issued by her superiors - perhaps then she wasn't well suited for a nationalist order.

Edér

For the majority of players he ends up as mayor, but the secret eothasian organisation has a strong representation too. For a noticeable group of players (11% is quite a lot) this guy doesn't get his quest solved at all.

I suspect a lot of those not solving it were playing early on. If you don't have the high stats or piss off Deviance Bay or were unwilling to commit outright murder you *couldn't* solve the damn quest. I managed it, but could see how someone might not be able to get the needed reputation.

The Eyeless

Another almost tied score. Again the good nature of mankind makes you wanna restore Abydon, but you are almost equally divided when it comes to tempering him. Given the fact that tempering is quite difficult to achieve I'm surprised with this score. Maybe it coulda been higher were it not the scripted trouble. Some destroyers in the miniroty.

Llengrath

What's with these tied scores lately? Kill or pact, it seems there is no major preference, but killing seems to take the slight lead. For a bunch of do-gooders you really like to kill a lot of people.

Thaos

Ah, the cherry ot the top. Majority erases his memories and lets his soul go: again noble. But there are in fact two destroy options (with different incentives) so I must say that destroy choice is the winner here.

The Eyeless: **** tempering him. It's as bad as what Ondra did and what Ondra did was a terrible crime to me and my excessively intelligent wizard watcher explained it to her in far more eloquent terms than i ever could.

Llengrath: It looked like an awesome fight, but I just couldn't come up with any logical reason that a fight was necessary.

Thaos: I...can't remember if i I made his soul remember or just returned him to the wheel. I think the latter? You encounter so many people who had either terrible or noble paths who wound up defying their earlier choices. Each reincarnation are fundamentally different people, though they may share the same soul. Making him remember actually seems the cruelest because you're punishing a dozen different reincarnated people down the line.

Wait, I take that back. Making him and Iovara spend eternity together would the cruelest. For both.

• Like 1

Poor Rymrgand. Forever misunderstood. He's the more morally questionable Eoran Bhudda.

Llengrath

Super-powered mages are best uprooted whenever you find them. It almost never ends well.

Edited by CottonWolf
  • Like 1

I actually feel really bad mostly about Kana. I did his quest, but because I gave kind of ambivalent or critical responses regarding my opinion of the Engwithans he would up returning all morose, almost depressed. I didn't want to break his spirit and now his sister might be mad at me :-.

I thought about redoing it but:

1: It was way... WAY back.

2: It's just what happened. Sometimes bad things happen even when you don't intend them.

Super-powered mages are best uprooted whenever you find them. It almost never ends well.

Llengrath seems to have her/their **** together more than most.

Edited by Yenkaz
  • Like 1

Vela, the orlan baby

Wow, what a score, this is almost tied you know. So you just wanna poison Simoc, but can't decide whether to take the baby for yourself? I'm amazed that more than 12% of players skipped this quest.

I skipped the quest because it either required you to murder somebody or steal a baby for yourself.  I was not interested in doing either one of those things.

Edited by bonarbill

Well I think if you just use logical thought, or just don't skip most of the quests, you will end up with a good ending.

Souls of the Hollowborn

My character was going to support Hylea no matter what she said due to her Eothasian husband (my avatar). Well ok maybe if Hylea had demanded all the souls become giant man eating birds of prey or something.

Angered gods

No angered gods choice destroyed the other possible outcomes (it figures, you goody-two-shoes players). Angering gods in Pillars of Eternity is like being atheist in Poland.

Well how suicidal do you have to be to intentionally piss off the Gods?

Animancy's fate

Animancy is acquited, Sanitarium rebuilt gets over 80%. I can tell that you like science and progress in the real life.

Well we were told that Thaos was trying to discredit Animancy before the hearing.

The Master Below

They thing had to die. I didn't care how many reloads it took I was going to kill it and secure Caed Nua for my own.

Pallegina

I think if I had favored Galawain she would have been pardoned so there was one not-ideal thing that happened. I didn't make her go against the ducs, she wanted to go against the ducs and I had no reason to convince her to screw Dyrwood against her own judgement. Besides, my character lives in Dyrwood and is a vassal of one of the Dyrwood Erls.

Edér

I was kind of surprised he went with the Nightmarket given what happened right at the end of the game, but obviously I was with him in trying to give Eothas the benefit of the doubt for most of the game so that was probably it. Eothas did nothing wrong!! (in PoE 1 anyway)

Defiance Bay

Almost skipped this one. My character was an aristocrat so it made no sense for her to favor the rabble rousing commoners. I admit you are right on the Forge-Knights. You have to be kind of a monster to go along with that.

I was a bit surprised more did not favor the Dozens. House Doemenel is a bit more subtle and it is hard to tell they are an option at first and anybody who went to Dyrford Village first would be biased against them I think.

Aloth

Aloth dismantles the Leaden Key crushed the opposition, am I surprised? No. But there is quite a lot of players who thought that making him a grandmaster instead will benefit you somehow. Meaningless amount of elf haters here.

Aloth is not particularly elfy and is reasonably charming. The game did a good job training me to favor the truth over comfortable lies. The few times I did otherwise I had the weird feeling I had made a mistake, but then flipped that on me right at the end. At the end of the game I thought maybe the Leaden Key wasn't such a bad thing, but by then I had already turned Aloth pretty solidly against it. The other time I thought maybe favoring the truth wasn't 100% a good thing was with the Eyeless.

Vela, the orlan baby

Jumping into a bottomless pit of almost sure doom is no time to carry around a baby.

The Eyeless

I restored Abydon but I couldn't shake the feeling I had made a terrible error and possible set up a divine war between Ondra and Abydon. The fact that wiping his memories was much harder to do also bugged me a bit. But hey my character made the choice and now she has to live with it.

Llengrath

My character was pissed off when I finally got to her, She was so damn tired of people trying to kill her for no damn reason. It was Llengrath who set the whole thing off by sending the Torn Bannermen so close to her lands to begin with.

Thaos

Nah. He was going back in the wheel the natural way. I hope he was reincarnated as a slug. 

Edited by Valmy

From a rp view?

The "I don't give a crap" type, I guess.

Or the "actually all these revelations from Iovara make me change my mind" way.

Or "maybe Wael or Skaen do have a point after all"

From a rp view?

The "I don't give a crap" type, I guess.

Or the "actually all these revelations from Iovara make me change my mind" way.

Or "maybe Wael or Skaen do have a point after all"

Right, I mean some people did it.

I think most people would have not done it because it seemed like a really bad idea rather than just because they wanted a happy ending.