I was disappointed when in the fist game playing a priest of Eothas did not add much. I was sure I'd get many new reaction and interactions because Eothas is such a central figure in the lore of the game. Specifically I was hoping for different interactions with Eder.

Now that Eothas is even more important to the story of the new game, will you make a special effort to have a priest of Eothas main character interact differently with the world and with Eder in particular?

• Like 2

I dont think you can expect any single choice in creation to add "many" unique/meaningful reactions or interactions. There's a balance to those things. It wouldn't be good game design if a single subclass were much more in focus than the rest of the choices you pick. Obviously I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

• Like 4

Does seem a bit of a missed opportunity.

Agreed, and I hope it's addressed in Deadfire. I'm not asking for unique quests or anything but some more unique dialogue options and perhaps a recognition from Edér and Xoti (both Eothas worshippers) that you're a Priest of Eothas. This would probably give the Priest of Eothas the most unique dialogue options, but so long as other race/class/backgrounds don't have too few I don't see this as a problem.

• Like 4

They had better come up with something good to compensate for playing a Priest who can't cast "protection" spells. 

I've had to give up scratching my head because I'm getting dangerously close to boring through my skull from that one.

Edited by injurai

They had better come up with something good to compensate for playing a Priest who can't cast "protection" spells. 

I've had to give up scratching my head because I'm getting dangerously close to boring through my skull from that one.

We all know that the Symbol of Eothas in POE1 granting +20 to all defenses (+ burning enemies) was an hoax.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Wait what?

If that's true, that's bloody stupid... And i might have to replay PoE 1 as something else now, because a Priest of Eothas is what i have prepared for my PoE 2 playthrough...

Bloody hell...

Wait what?

If that's true, that's bloody stupid... And i might have to replay PoE 1 as something else now, because a Priest of Eothas is what i have prepared for my PoE 2 playthrough...

Bloody hell...

See the descriptive text accompanying the most recent update.  Each subclass (i.e., deity) has one type of Priest spell that they cannot learn. 

Priests of Berath can't learn "Condemnation" (presumably debuffs); Priests of Magran can't learn "Restoration" (heals); Priests of Skaen can't learn "Inspiration" (offensive buffs, I guess?); Priests of Wael can't learn "Punishment" (I burn U); and Priests of Eothas can't learn "Protection" (defensive buffs, most likely).  And you can't play a generalist.

I can kind of see the logic of Eothas not getting protection spells. He seems very much a "purify through searing light" type of God.

Here's the text from his major book in PoE:

And the sun shall break through the darkness, the new dawn arriving with the rebirth of the day
Rejoice all ye who dwelleth in the shadow, who are broken and beaten. The winter soon comes to an end.
Spring shall rise, bringing light and life to the world.
Radiant light, radiant life, and thy soul shall find warmth in his arms.

All creatures bask in his glory.
The rays of his countenance bathe the world, bringing an end to the night, ushering in the day.
Kneel before him and wonder at his benevolence, feel the warmth of his radiant presence.
If thou art broken, he shall make thee whole.
If thou art in darkness, he shall bring thee to the light.
If thou art sinful, thou shalt be reborn.
If thou art cold, his warmth shall bolster thee.

How canst I, so lowly and worn, speak words of proper adulation?
Thine eyes, whose gaze sees the sin in me yet still shows love.
Thine hands, whose grip pulls me out of darkness.
Thine ears, listening to my every prayer.
Thine heart, bright as the dawn, giving me warmth when I am raw.
Eothas, light of spring, sun of the world, thou givest me life and purpose.

If thine heart be black, if thine intention be impure, thy life is forfeit.
For he hath seen, he can see, he will see. Nothing is hidden from his glory.
His light touches every corner of the world. Nothing is hidden from his sight.
If thou doest thy work in the dark, if thou wouldst keep thine actions hidden, thou shalt be burned in the sun of the new dawn.
Day comes soon, prepare for the dawn. Nothing is hidden from his reach.

It's all healing and fire and fury. Nothing about protection of the innocents or so on. It makes him sound very much a God of action, and protection seems pretty passive.

Edited by CottonWolf
  • Like 1

It's all healing and fire and fury. Nothing about protection of the innocents or so on. It makes him sound very much a God of action, and protection seems pretty passive.

That said, the Gaun aspect of Eothas that Xoti specifically worships includes defense against injustice.  Eder talks about this in dialogue, and it shows up in some item descriptions, but otherwise isn't explored much in Pillars 1.  (Or even why some deities have multiple aspects and others don't.) 

This is one reason why I expect Xoti's subclass to be a generalist, with access to all Priest spells.  (The other reason is simply that she's going to be the only priest in most players' parties, and the developers  will want to allow players the flexibility to user her in a number of ways.)

• Like 2

I'd hazard a guess that all of the deties have multiple aspects in different cultures, it's just whether we've come across them in the games or not. I mean, it would be weird if whatever Rekke's people end up being have the same theological interpretations of the pantheon as the rest of the "known world".

I still think barring Condemnation would work better for God of Redemption. Barring protection while benevolent is main stance for priests strike me as odd. Also access to elemental magic is weird - Eothas is connected to light, not elements. I get it that there are 5 spell spheres and 5 priest types but going for symmetry (each has different sphere prohibited) is IMHO flawed as gods themselves aren't defined by the spheres. It would be OK if some priests shared prohibited sphere a's there are two different features for each God (I hope that later on there are abilities dedicated to particular god).

I still think barring Condemnation would work better for God of Redemption. Barring protection while benevolent is main stance for priests strike me as odd. Also access to elemental magic is weird - Eothas is connected to light, not elements. I get it that there are 5 spell spheres and 5 priest types but going for symmetry (each has different sphere prohibited) is IMHO flawed as gods themselves aren't defined by the spheres. It would be OK if some priests shared prohibited sphere a's there are two different features for each God (I hope that later on there are abilities dedicated to particular god).

Sawyer's Tumblr post the other day on Waelite abilities suggests that the special cross-class spells are going to be select spells, rather than access to an entire school.  Eothasians are probably just getting the opportunity to select thematically appropriate elemental spells like Sunbeam and Sunlance.

• Like 1

That said, the Gaun aspect of Eothas that Xoti specifically worships includes defense against injustice.  Eder talks about this in dialogue, and it shows up in some item descriptions, but otherwise isn't explored much in Pillars 1.  (Or even why some deities have multiple aspects and others don't.)

Personally I agree with CottonWolf's assessment of Eothas.  The fact that he tried to lead a fiery war straight into the Dyrwood, and starts Deadfire by possessing a giant statue and destroying your castle, indicates he is a bit of a kick ass, ask forgiveness later sort of fellow.

As for defense, I will just remind everyone there is a specific saying in sports for a good reason.  "The best defense, is a good offense."

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1