Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My opinion about the new classes

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

blotter

blotter

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If the Darcozzi gets less power (as in class power level), they are going to be 2 to 3* levels behind everyone else for all class features, so I don't think that's what they meant. 

Like I said, it seems extreme compared to what they gain and therefore unlikely, but it is worth noting that it's not too far out of line with mechanics that have already been shown for the game. Both the wizard subclasses and the Lifegiver subclass have increased power level for particular spell types via their benefits, for example.

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1128 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

If the Darcozzi gets less power (as in class power level), they are going to be 2 to 3* levels behind everyone else for all class features, so I don't think that's what they meant. 

Like I said, it seems extreme compared to what they gain and therefore unlikely, but it is worth noting that it's not too far out of line with mechanics that have already been shown for the game. Both the wizard subclasses and the Lifegiver subclass have increased power level for particular spell types via their benefits, for example.

Bonuses for a few spells with limited cast per encounters. Not the whole class as the "lower zeal power" is written there and that shield doesn't make up the lost of at least 2 levels.

Either Josh really likes his casters and hates Paladins, or that's written wrong (the Wizard listing doesn't match what is shown in the video anyway so I got with wrong).

Edited by morhilane, 28 September 2017 - 05:17 PM.

Climhazzard

Climhazzard

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 841 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

• Trickster - Gains access to Illusion spells from the wizard list.  Sneak Attack deals less damage. (Less sneak attack damage is bad for a rogue. I would prefer a rogue/Illusionist over a rogue with lower damage. I would even prefer a default rogue over this, because you can get most effects via scrolls, potions or another char in your party.

It's very likely that a multi class rogue will have lower sneak attack than a pure rogue.  TBH I feel there's a chance a trickster will be exactly the same as a rogue/illusionist, but a Trickster will be able to multi class to something else while a rogue/illusionist is already multi classed.

• Torm51 likes this

draego

draego

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

• Trickster - Gains access to Illusion spells from the wizard list.  Sneak Attack deals less damage. (Less sneak attack damage is bad for a rogue. I would prefer a rogue/Illusionist over a rogue with lower damage. I would even prefer a default rogue over this, because you can get most effects via scrolls, potions or another char in your party.

It's very likely that a multi class rogue will have lower sneak attack than a pure rogue.  TBH I feel there's a chance a trickster will be exactly the same as a rogue/illusionist, but a Trickster will be able to multi class to something else while a rogue/illusionist is already multi classed.

Yes multiclass anything will always have a lower power level and therefore all abilities/spells that scale will not scale as high or as fast as a single class like rogue sneak attack. trickster will not be exactly the same as rogue/illusionist https://jesawyer.tum...-like-priest-of

Edited by draego, 29 September 2017 - 12:43 PM.

blotter

blotter

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Sawyer elaborated on the benefits and drawbacks of the Ascendant cipher subclass here.

Having a lower effective power level than a standard cipher except at max focus sounds pretty bad to me, but I suppose there are probably builds that may allow it to jump up to the maximum fairly quickly.

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1128 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Ascendant are meant to do the following:
1. Build Focus until Max
2. Use power
3. return to 1

Basically, weapon attack until Focus full -> use power -> weapon attack -> use power. That should be pretty easy to implement in the AI scripting. Lots of micromanagement if you decide to manually control it though.

jones092201@gmail.com

jones092201@gmail.com

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

none of the classes (and this is initial reaction, only) really offer the thematic qualities to make me want to role play them. Also the bonuses never seem to outweigh their penalties.

In BG2, which used kits with penalties and bonuses in a similar fashion, I can always build a concept for a character, and know that functionally that class can work. A swashbuckler/mage in elven chain mail, a fighter/shadowdancer-- the gain and loss for taking these combos is very clear, and it changes how you would play the character--what role they take in the party, how they function in combat.

Here, (and again at first pass), the sub-classes feel very restrictive. They take away more than they add.

Some of them have interesting ideas behind them:

the drug-monk works for me conceptually

Ghost Heart is an excellent idea.

wizard and priest are functional i guess, but there doesn't seem to be much creative about it.

maybe for people who really theorycraft, there is some good synergy behind the choices, but for me-- who just wants an interesting concept, i can't say there is much to recommend them.

I'm sure that opinion will change though.

Fivefingerheist

Fivefingerheist

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Plain Barbarian and Chanter (Skald) IE Howler class seems extremely powerful. Since you are in melee the chanter stun abilites are easy to target, and with the Skald crits can grant you phrases. I get phrase words reallly fast with carnage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users