PotD Crit Starvation: DPS Paladin weapon choice advice?

In my first playthrough (at Normal), I went with a double saber set-up on my DPS Paladin, and I enjoyed it immensely. He not only did excellent DPS (for a Paladin), but he healed the entire party alone in a lot of trash fights, because he was a Wayfarer, and his dual wield attack constantly left dead bodies in its wake. So I planned to do the same in my current PotD run, but I am now wondering whether I am better off going Tidefall/2H sword route - or something else. The main reason is that I did not consider how pitiful my crit rate will be v. stat-inflated enemies in PotD, and I am - I kid you not! - averaging about 1.2 percent crits through level 5. So the crit boosts from Annihilating weapons like Bittercut will be less effective on a Paladin. And in this context, is it not better to not depend on big crit damage and go for a weapon that will do big consistent damage like Tidefall?

Since this is my first PotD run, I knew I was going to run into the unexpected, but this crit rate is really throwing me off, as I was planning my party around on-crit effects. To a lesser degree I will have to re-evaluate how well my Tall Grass Barbarian will perform - as well as giving the Rod of Pale Shades to either my Priest or Wizard for the on-crit stun. It looks like only the Fighter in my party can achieve acceptable crit rate (25 percent now, but since he depends so much on temporary accuracy buff, his rate keeps going down as fights get longer as well, Goddamn).

Well, Bittercut isn't annihilating, so I wouldn't worry on that front.

More generally, you'll crit more as you go up in level. I wouldn't make any decisions based on your experience at low levels.

Oops. I meant Purgatory. I was using Bittercut/Purgatory combo with my Paladin at lower level. I know I will crit more later, but the numbers I am seeing is absolutely shocking. Nobody is doing more than 4 percent at level 5 or thereabouts except the Fighter - who is just creaming everyone in crit rate and damage.

In general, can a Tidefall Paladin do decent DPS relative to a dual saber one? I like the consistent damage, and I also like the dual damage source.

You aren't going to crit anything very much in Act 1. Buff your ACC lower theirs and go to town. If you don't have a shooter (I didn't this time around) do it with spells like iconic projection and rolling flame. If not do what I did. In hard fights rely on a wizard with Conelhauts staff and he will kill even raedrics Paladins. Act 1 is a grind in potd. Out last the AI

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

You aren't going to crit anything very much in Act 1. Buff your ACC lower theirs and go to town. If you don't have a shooter (I didn't this time around) do it with spells like iconic projection and rolling flame. If not do what I did. In hard fights rely on a wizard with Conelhauts staff and he will kill even raedrics Paladins. Act 1 is a grind in potd. Out last the AI

Yup; Iconic Projection has been my go-to ranged tool early going. It's amazing at these levels - AoE heal and damage together!

What's your view on Tidefall Paladin? Can he come close to dual Saber set-up in damage at least in PotD?

Tidefall Paladin works. I actually have a Goldpact Knight build in mind for next run who I think will use it. Im just not sure not having the outworn buckler on Someone it's really good for your frontline especially as chanter support in the early game.And as good as it can be lately my groups don't run 2 Paladins.

Bottom line yes tidefall Paladin works

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Tidefall is the melee weapon with the highest damage potential in the game. If you have high MIG then it's one of the best picks for every melee character. The wounding enchantment does get boosted by MIG. The 25% the description mentiones are only the base at 10 MIG.

So yes, a Tidefall-Paladin is a good option. BUT: I never tested if Strange Mercy gets triggered if the enemy is killed by a DoT-effect like wounding or if it has to be direct damage.

Sanguine Plate + Tempered Helm is a nice addition because of the +4 to MIG. And once this runs out you will most likely kill an enemy and the Tempered Helm will trigger. Also looks good together.

Another variant is to use Hours of St. Rumbalt. With FoD you will crit more often (also profiting from annihilating here), then the enemy goes prone and has lower deflection, making consecutive crits with Zealous Focus more likely.

Or how about Tall Grass? I actually never did this, but the 10% crit conversion and the %5 of Critical Focus could add up nicely? Maybe try a Hearth Orlan paladin. ;)

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

@OP:

Yeah for my current run, I actually have my pally wield a GS and later Tidefall. My anchor for the early game is a fire retaliation monk whose might mig, con and int ensures that Veteran Recovery is sufficient. At lvl13, my pally transited to a sword and shield since Sacred Immolation provides more than enough dps, and my monk started to fall over in survivability. Gave Tidefall to my chanter instead.

You shouldnt be too worried about a pally's crit rate tbh.

• Like 2

Oh my... Just wait to be able to cast devotion for the faithful with a priest and your accuracy issues will be solved. Also take +6 accuracy aura from pala and some weapon focus. And remember to use the cc tools you have ( paralyze/prone/ stun ecc lower enemy deflection)

Soon the crit rate will have an huge jump forward.

• Like 1

Tidefall Paladin works. I actually have a Goldpact Knight build in mind for next run who I think will use it. Im just not sure not having the outworn buckler on Someone it's really good for your frontline especially as chanter support in the early game.And as good as it can be lately my groups don't run 2 Paladins.

Bottom line yes tidefall Paladin works

Yes, I used the Outworn Buckler for the first time yesterday, and I can see the huge advantage it gives my front-line. Still, I prefer the DPS Paladin, so I will give it up later at some point. My Chanter tank will have the Little Savior later - which duplicates the same buff - albeit at a much later time.

Tidefall is the melee weapon with the highest damage potential in the game. If you have high MIG then it's one of the best picks for every melee character. The wounding enchantment does get boosted by MIG. The 25% the description mentiones are only the base at 10 MIG.

So yes, a Tidefall-Paladin is a good option. BUT: I never tested if Strange Mercy gets triggered if the enemy is killed by a DoT-effect like wounding or if it has to be direct damage.

Sanguine Plate + Tempered Helm is a nice addition because of the +4 to MIG. And once this runs out you will most likely kill an enemy and the Tempered Helm will trigger. Also looks good together.

Another variant is to use Hours of St. Rumbalt. With FoD you will crit more often (also profiting from annihilating here), then the enemy goes prone and has lower deflection, making consecutive crits with Zealous Focus more likely.

Or how about Tall Grass? I actually never did this, but the 10% crit conversion and the %5 of Critical Focus could add up nicely? Maybe try a Hearth Orlan paladin. ;)

I will likely use St. Rumbalt or Justice - until I get my hand on Tidefall. As for Tall Grass, I was giving it to my Barbarian. I think Paladins should be in the first-line, given their ridiculous defenses.

You shouldnt be too worried about a pally's crit rate tbh.

May I ask why? Because he does good sustained damage without crits? Or will his crits increase a lot later?

Oh my... Just wait to be able to cast devotion for the faithful with a priest and your accuracy issues will be solved. Also take +6 accuracy aura from pala and some weapon focus. And remember to use the cc tools you have ( paralyze/prone/ stun ecc lower enemy deflection)

Soon the crit rate will have an huge jump forward.

Does Devotions stack with Zealous Focus?

Yes, I used the Outworn Buckler for the first time yesterday, and I can see the huge advantage it gives my front-line. Still, I prefer the DPS Paladin, so I will give it up later at some point. My Chanter tank will have the Little Savior later - which duplicates the same buff - albeit at a much later time.

Well Outworn Buckler and Little Saviour stack for +10 to all Defences, and if you use the Helwax Mold on one of them (Little Saviour obviously) they'd all stack for +15 to all Defences.

May I ask why? Because he does good sustained damage without crits? Or will his crits increase a lot later?

A bit of both, although he'll never hit the crit rate that some melee characters can.

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 2

Well Outworn Buckler and Little Saviour stack for +10 to all Defences, and if you use the Helwax Mold on one of them (Little Saviour obviously) they'd all stack for +15 to all Defences.

A bit of both, although he'll never hit the crit rate that some melee characters can.

Yeah, 25 percent on the Fighter already without even Weapon Focus or good gear! ;)

As for the Defense stacking with Little Savior/Outworn Buckler, I don't ever foresee myself using more than 1 shield user - unless you suggest I go for a shield/1H set-up on a Priest. Does that work? I am afraid that the Priest will just rush forward and get herself killed if I take my eyes off on her ;)

Yes. And Devotions + Zealous Focus stack with Inspiring Radiance. You can also cast Dire Blessing (+20% hit to crit rate). So it's possible to get a great crit rate even on a paladin on PotD.

Also, if you use FoD (+20 +1 ACC per level) and then Sworn Enemy (+15 ACC) you should be able to generate some crits without the help of others in every encounter.

Edit: well it's enough if the priest with Little Savior stays in the second row (casting) and uses his herald-aura on the frontliners.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yes. And Devotions + Zealous Focus stack with Inspiring Radiance. You can also cast Dire Blessing (+20% hit to crit rate). So it's possible to get a great crit rate even on a paladin on PotD.

Also, if you use FoD (+20 +1 ACC per level) and then Sworn Enemy (+15 ACC) you should be able to generate some crits without the help of others in every encounter.

I actually had no idea all those things stacked. Thanks so much!

Exactly. I mean sure the pally's got FoD and Sworn Enemy for Acc boost to, let's say, take out priority targets via crts, but you will not get the same amount of consistency as a rogue or even a fighter can.

Later on, your SI will be doing most of the killing that will pop Strange Mercy and/or Inspiring Triumph without even trying too much. Crit or not, SI is still the main bulk of your sustainable dmg.

• Like 2