Pillars of Eternity II Partnership with Versus Evil!

Greetings Watchers! 

You may have heard that we partnered up with Versus Evil for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. You may have some questions on what this means for the company or the game, so hopefully this FAQ will help out with that!

What is this partnership about?

This is similar to other publishing partnerships in the gaming industry: Versus Evil is taking the lead on marketing and distribution of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, while working very closely with Obsidian’s internal development, marketing, and PR teams. Versus Evil can devote its considerable resources to expanding the reach that Deadfire can attain, while Obsidian continues to focus on making the best possible game.

Why Versus Evil?

Versus Evil is a small, dynamic, and incredibly passionate publisher that typically works with independent development teams.  As such, their philosophy is grounded in transparency, support and developer ownership of how the brand is represented across all marketing and distribution channels.  Obsidian’s approach and vision for Deadfire lines up perfectly with Versus Evil’s, so both sides will be working to achieve the same goals.

I donated money so Obsidian could take on this project solo, why take on a partner?

Obsidian is 100% handling the development of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Versus Evil’s involvement is only in the publishing, marketing, and distribution areas. Deadfire will still reflect the unique vision and passion of Obsidian and its developers, who will work closely with Versus Evil to ensure that their game reaches the largest possible audience so that more fans can experience it.

Does Obsidian still own the IP for Pillars of Eternity?

Yes.

Will Versus Evil be handling any parts of development of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire?

Obsidian is still fully in charge of development and will continue to be so all the way through launch and beyond.

With Versus Evil on board, is more money being given to the project?

The development of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is still being funded internally by Obsidian and through the generous support of our crowdfunding backers. The scope hasn’t changed, with Obsidian still 100% in charge of development and every penny raised by the backers going toward development.  The partnership with Versus Evil adds support and funds on the marketing and distribution side of the equation.

I’m supposed to receive a backer reward, has anything changed?

Nothing has changed on this front. If you were promised an item, whether it be digital or physical, rest assured that you will still receive it. If you have a participatory aspect to your reward (for example, if you get to name a pet), don’t forget to submit your preferences to Obsidian before the deadline. For more information on how to do this, please visit https://eternity.obsidian.net/news/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-update-25---manage-your-pledge-on-the-backer-portal.

Versus Evil will be helping with distribution of some of the physical items, so that backers get their rewards quicker.

When will Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire be released?  

As communicated previously, we are expecting to launch the game early in 2018 on PC, Mac, and Linux platforms and the publishing partnership has not changed this projected launch date.

Is this the precursor to a merger between Obsidian and Versus Evil?

No, Versus Evil and Obsidian are working together on this project only. There are no plans for any larger relationship at this time.

So there you have it! If you have any questions, please let us know!

• Like 7

May I ask  why not Paradox again? You may choose the [diplomatic] dialogue option. ;)

As such, their philosophy is grounded in transparency, support and developer ownership of how the brand is represented across all marketing and distribution channels.

I sense the answer's right here...

• Like 1

May I ask  why not Paradox again? You may choose the [diplomatic] dialogue option. ;)

As such, their philosophy is grounded in transparency, support and developer ownership of how the brand is represented across all marketing and distribution channels.

Or perhaps a simple business reason like they made the best offer.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Or perhaps a simple business reason like they made the best offer.

Yeah, but can they pay off gaming sites to make onsite visits and write nostalgic fluff pieces on their old catalogue?

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

May I ask why not Paradox again? You may choose the [diplomatic] dialogue option. ;)

No, that's the answer to the question "Why Versus Evil?", not "Why not Paradox?".

A girl breaks up with you and later has a new boyfriend. When asked why she chose him she says "because he's sooo handsome". That doesn't mean that you look like Sloth from The Goonies and that this was the reason why she broke up. Maybe you just had cheesy feet... ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

No, that's the answer to the question "Why Versus Evil?", not "Why not Paradox?".

A girl breaks up with you and later has a new boyfriend. When asked why she chose him she says "because he's sooo handsome". That doesn't mean that you look like Sloth from The Goonies and that this was the reason why she broke up. Maybe you just had cheesy feet... ;)

Sorry to break it to you Boeroer but ... you are.  I mean - that is your picture on the side-bar yea? - with one reddish looking eye and one greenish looking eye, weird ears and purple skin.  I agree tho, it's strange that she didn't just say it..

;p

• 2 weeks later...

Could the answer to ``why not Paradox" be as simple as ``we not only had them publish one game, but TWO." Obsidian has a track record of pub hopping. Also, another possibility, is internal changes at Paradox. If I recall correctly, both Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity were published before Paradox had their IPO. The Founder and CEO of PDX say's that he's still the largest share holder and that nothing has changed, but...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hmm i hope the translations from this team are better as from Paradox. The german translation from Paradox in PoE 1 was OK in the Mainquest, but incomplete in the other Quests, or Journal, or the bestiary. .. In Tyranny was the translation realy good from Paradox! Have liked it!

I hope you Guys from Obsidian have looked out for this! ;-P I have not Problem to help in a new translation fan mod. But for my first try, i want to play the game, who i understand the Story. XD

~Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.~

~I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.~

Gandalf the grey
~By J.R.R. Tolkien~

• 5 months later...

Is 8th of May also same date of release for ps4,x box one and switch or it's only pc ?

PC only. console will be announced later. They originally said sometime in the 2018 holidays i suppose like Christmas but not sure where it stands Obsidian isnt the company doing the port to consoles.