Druids & Priests now pick spells individually

Did I understand right that now all classes choose spells OR talents and the two became the same category? 

It looks like right now all abilities/talents/spells are selected as one per level and they are all equivalent in the since that you select them one per level with no alternating like in POE1

Cool, that's a lot of flexibility. I remember when I played Cipher I had a bunch of extra powers that I never used since there were other powers that were much better that I would rather spend power points on, but I had to pick those powers anyway because I was forced to have a certain number of powers. I guess now I can take some extra cool talents instead. 

They had so many niche spells in POE1 I have to wonder if we will all be picking the same handful of more broadly useful ones. Seriously like 4 out of every 5 were highly situational and not even all that necessary in their situations.

Having just read POE1 spell threads on reddit, especially the spell mastery ones, the idea of broadly useful is quite different between players. What spells you use is very much based on what you intend the character to do and your party strategy/builds.

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

The main issue to me was the design of spells itself.

Levels frequently meant nothing in terms of spell power or usefulness – especially for the priest.

Crowns of the faithful was probably the most powerful buff in the game, while shining beacon and DotF were bread and butter.

The only reason I was using other spells was because I was playing a kind of melee priest, other than that all battles would come down to a combination of these three spells plus the prayer appropriate to remove afflictions.

So for me overall if they manage to design the spells in a meaningful way I’m more than happy to pick them on level up.

I very much prefer this to having dozens of spells that I never use due to their uselessness (disspotent blows or circle of protection –scrolls do a better job - anyone?) 

• Like 1

Circle of Protection stacks with nearly everything while things like Shields for the Faithful doesn't stack with other defection buffs. That's why CoP is a good spell and not a useless one.

But yeah - I also don't use 75% of all priest spells in a playthrough, bit it depends how you play your priest. Spamming Iconic Projection is still good because it only has to overcome 1/4 of enemies' freeze DR. Used to ignore DR completely, but 1/4 is still not bad.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Circle of Protection stacks with nearly everything while things like Shields for the Faithful doesn't stack with other defection buffs. That's why CoP is a good spell and not a useless one.

But yeah - I also don't use 75% of all priest spells in a playthrough, bit it depends how you play your priest. Spamming Iconic Projection is still good because it only has to overcome 1/4 of enemies' freeze DR. Used to ignore DR completely, but 1/4 is still not bad.

well still those are mainly mechanical glitches. CoP shouldn't stack with other abilities that boost defenses and the duration is kinda crap... anyway you get what I mean... I'd rather have 4-5 spells per level that would gladly use in every fight rather than  a couple of serious ones and a dozen of nice to have or niche choices

Going by Josh's latest tumblr, they haven't decided yet how the Priest and Druid will get their spells. It's in German though, so my googlefu might be misleading.

Can't seems to find a way to link directly to that post without a tumblr account too so here is what is says:
Hallo.  Schöne Benutzername.
Wir haben noch nicht entscheiden.  Es gibt ein paar möglichkeiten.  1) Wenn sie eine neue Kraftstufe (?? ich weiß nicht die Wörter auf Deutsch) erreichen, werden Priester und Druiden ein oder zwei mehr Sprüche nehmen.  Der Spieler kann die Sprüche auswählen.  2) Die Priester nehmen spezifische Sprüche, die von ihren Göttern kommen.  UND Druiden nehmen ein paar Sprüche, die der Spieler auswählen kann.
Grimoires können nicht genutzt wedern, um Unterklassen-Restriktionen zu umgehen.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Here's the link.

Here's the internet translation.  It's janky, but pretty easy to get the pertinent information:

Q:  Is it in Pillars II, since priests and druids can no longer learn all the sayings, grimoires (or something similar) for these classes? And can Grimoires be used to avoid subclass restrictions?

A:  Hello. Beautiful username.

We have not yet decided. There are a few possibilities. 1) When they reach a new power level (I do not know the words in German), priests and druids will take one or two more sayings. The player can select the spells. 2) The priests take specific sayings that come from their gods. AND Druids take a few sayings that the player can choose.

Grimoires can not be used to bypass subclass restrictions.

• Like 2

well still those are mainly mechanical glitches. CoP shouldn't stack with other abilities that boost defenses and the duration is kinda crap... anyway you get what I mean... I'd rather have 4-5 spells per level that would gladly use in every fight rather than a couple of serious ones and a dozen of nice to have or niche choices

It's not a glitch, it's intended. It's in a different group (code wise) than the usual deflection buffs because it raises all defenses. Cloak of Comfort works the same. It's short, yes, but due to the stacking it can make you untouchable (shift the miss/graze border in your favor) for 15+ seconds with decent INT. Nice in the really hard fights - not so useful in your everyday trash encounter.

Which spells you use often and which not is an individual choice, too.

A niche spell for you may be a preferred spell for somebody else. For example I know that AndreaColumbo loves Suppress Affliction and even takes the Mastery while I almost never use it. I like Triumph of the Crusaders and Spark the Souls of the Righteous while other players never touch them (maybe they don't know how good they can be with the right synergies).

Hopefully they don't cut any spells. It's ok for me if I have to concentrate on a few spells while I level up, but please let me pick from a big pool. Who knows what I want to do with my priest?

But all in all our opinions don't diverge to much on this matter I guess. You now can choose you favorite spells and forget the others that you wouldn't use anyways.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I have this feeling that spell restrictions in PoE2 are going to take the place of limited skill types in PoE1 as one of the most disliked features about this release. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

What do you mean by "limited skill types"?

Like that rogues get more mechanics?

PoE has five skill types; it looks like PoE2 has 17. More skill types equals greater flexibility with character builds. You can probably build a character closer to what you want to play.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Perhaps spellcasters could chose how specialized they want their spellbook to be. Let's say you just want to cast fireball over and over again; at level-up you forsake getting a new level 3 spell to get more level 3 casts. Kind of a wannabe Vancian system.

I suppose someone could screw their build up by giving themselves 7 casts of Prayer Against Restrain, but such is life.