What character do you plan on importing into Deadfire, part II

A while back there was a thread asking what character people were planning on importing into Deadfire for their first play through. As of Wednesday we have been given a full list of the current subclasses as well as more details of how multiclassing will work.

Before this update I was tending towards my first imported character being a Wizard, but now I am very tempted by a Monk/Rogue in Deadfire (probably Shattered Pillar/Assassin, though Helwalker/Street Fighter might be fun too) and am likely to roll up a new Monk for my import. I'm interested in what other people are thinking of importing for their first play through, and how much this has changed as a result of the latest update.

• Like 1

First I thought monk with Long Pain because it's so much fun to play. But now I'm doing my last PoE playthrough with a mountain dwarf Priest of Eothas for obvious reasons. Turned him into a tin can with large shield and I am only wearing Eothasian stuff where possible: Cloak of an Eothasian priest from the Temple, Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil as helmet, Sun-Touched Mail of Hyan Rath, Gaun's Pledge as ring and Gaun's Share as weapon and so on. I guess I will not multiclass him in my first playthrough in Deadfire but leave that to companions. But who knows... Priest of Eothas/Kind Wayfarer or /Troubadour might be a thing.

My first playthrough usually is without optimized chars, more RP-style. After that comes the tinkering. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

A while back there was a thread asking what character people were planning on importing into Deadfire for their first play through. As of Wednesday we have been given a full list of the current subclasses as well as more details of how multiclassing will work.

Before this update I was tending towards my first imported character being a Wizard, but now I am very tempted by a Monk/Rogue in Deadfire (probably Shattered Pillar/Assassin, though Helwalker/Street Fighter might be fun too) and am likely to roll up a new Monk for my import. I'm interested in what other people are thinking of importing for their first play through, and how much this has changed as a result of the latest update.

Unfortunately, multi-classing looks as much a curse as a boon...

I have a few characters in different states of a run that i plan to import not sure if i will get to them all.

1. Melee ranger going right now in POE1 and will import to POE2 as stalker no multi class pretty straight forward - concept basically orlan slave from deadfire that was stolen from the dyrewood tribes trying to find his way home and learn about his people. i thought it would be interesting to be pretty ****ty to the people of dyrwood in general and then when i found my tribes homes turn into a saint well saintish (to the tribes at least) the dispositions will be wacky for the end.

2. Berath priest/Pallid Knight concept that will lose faith in the end because you know stuff happens at the end (I dont think dyrewood will fair well in this the ending  :devil: ). I think this one will change to druid because that seems like the godless faith to me or maybe paladin for similar mechanics so the character is still driven but has no faith. not sure yet maybe multclass druid/paladin for the oddness

3. Tank Barbarian - this has been really interesting (I never used barb or rogues. first barb was Maneha and that was eye opening for dps build which is not this build). I like martial classes (except monks sorry Boeroer  no monks dont know why) way more than caster classes even though i did the above priest (more of melee priest so was ok). I think i may muticlass class this character also not sure what to yet maybe corpse eater/{Troubadour or Skald} or straight corpse eater . Using the build concept from Boeroer & Jojobobo build. not following exactly just got the concept from them.

4. wizard - dual weapon wizard - Not doing this one any more maybe just play it in POE2 my attempt to not play wizard as wizard - basically dr frankenstein from penny dreadful show - lost mother at young age couldn't do anything about it turned to science to try to overcome death - you can guess what he is doing in dyrewood what with all animancy there. this was my pro animancy build.

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

But now I'm doing my last PoE playthrough with a mountain dwarf Priest of Eothas for obvious reasons. Turned him into a tin can with large shield and I am only wearing Eothasian stuff where possible: Cloak of an Eothasian priest from the Temple, Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil as helmet, Sun-Touched Mail of Hyan Rath, Gaun's Pledge as ring and Gaun's Share as weapon and so on. I guess I will not multiclass him in my first playthrough in Deadfire but leave that to companions. But who knows... Priest of Eothas/Kind Wayfarer or /Troubadour might be a thing.

A Priest of Eothas was one of the characters I was considering, but with Xoti getting her own unique subclass and my possible intention of making Edér a multiclass Fighter/Priest of Eothas I've decided against it. I'm still considering a different type of Priest, though I'm not sure which.

I don't think so. There's been a lot of talk about getting half of each class but this isn't very accurate. It seems that multiclass characters can reach at least Power Level 7 abilities (equivalent of level 7 spells in Pillars), possibly PL8, so whilst they won't get the top level stuff they'll still have plenty of powerful abilities to choose from.

• Like 2

But now I'm doing my last PoE playthrough with a mountain dwarf Priest of Eothas for obvious reasons. Turned him into a tin can with large shield and I am only wearing Eothasian stuff where possible: Cloak of an Eothasian priest from the Temple, Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil as helmet, Sun-Touched Mail of Hyan Rath, Gaun's Pledge as ring and Gaun's Share as weapon and so on. I guess I will not multiclass him in my first playthrough in Deadfire but leave that to companions. But who knows... Priest of Eothas/Kind Wayfarer or /Troubadour might be a thing.

A Priest of Eothas was one of the characters I was considering, but with Xoti getting her own unique subclass and my possible intention of making Edér a multiclass Fighter/Priest of Eothas I've decided against it. I'm still considering a different type of Priest, though I'm not sure which.

I don't think so. There's been a lot of talk about getting half of each class but this isn't very accurate. It seems that multiclass characters can reach at least Power Level 7 abilities (equivalent of level 7 spells in Pillars), possibly PL8, so whilst they won't get the top level stuff they'll still have plenty of powerful abilities to choose from.

It isn't just the prospect of losing the very top level class abilities. It's also that - at least from the multi-class descriptions - to do x better, you are forced to do y worse. We shall see.

It isn't just the prospect of losing the very top level class abilities. It's also that - at least from the multi-class descriptions - to do x better, you are forced to do y worse. We shall see.

How do you mean? Other than getting slightly fewer abilities from each class (though more altogether) and losing access to the highest level abilities, there doesn't currently seem to be any other way that you are less powerful than you otherwise would have been.

• Like 1

How do you mean? Other than getting slightly fewer abilities from each class (though more altogether) and losing access to the highest level abilities, there doesn't currently seem to be any other way that you are less powerful than you otherwise would have been.

Stuff like this? Quoting a Fighter sub-class. A Fighter with no Constant Recovery?! It's what makes him so micro-free and easy to use for me.

"Black Jacket - Bonus weapon proficiency, reduced Recovery when switching weapon, but lacks Constant Recovery."

Stuff like this? Quoting a Fighter sub-class. A Fighter with no Constant Recovery?! It's what makes him so micro-free and easy to use for me.

"Black Jacket - Bonus weapon proficiency, reduced Recovery when switching weapon, but lacks Constant Recovery."

Oh, you mean subclasses, not multiclasses. Well obviously those will have trade-offs. The point to the Black Jacket is you can switch between damage types to get past enemy resistances/immunities, and/or you can more rapidly cycle through a bunch of arquebuses for a huge alpha strike. If you want your fighter to be robust then it's not the right subclass for you, but if you want a versatile damage dealer then it might be.

• Like 1

Oh, you mean subclasses, not multiclasses. Well obviously those will have trade-offs. The point to the Black Jacket is you can switch between damage types to get past enemy resistances/immunities, and/or you can more rapidly cycle through a bunch of arquebuses for a huge alpha strike. If you want your fighter to be robust then it's not the right subclass for you, but if you want a versatile damage dealer then it might be.

Oops. Sorry. I am getting the two confused! ;)

2. Berath priest/Pallid Knight concept that will lose faith in the end because you know stuff happens at the end (I dont think dyrewood will fair well in this the ending   :devil: ). I think this one will change to druid because that seems like the godless faith to me or maybe paladin for similar mechanics so the character is still driven but has no faith. not sure yet maybe multclass druid/paladin for the oddness

Sounds like a build I've been mulling over for a while, which I call Berath's Reaper. Basically a Priest of Berath wielding Tidefall, wearing the Maegfolc Skull and having the RP motivation of hunting down vessels and spirits to return them to the Wheel.

I like the fact you're thinking about how the revelations of Pillar's ending will affect your character's class in Deadfire.

4. wizard - dual weapon wizard - Not doing this one any more maybe just play it in POE2 my attempt to not play wizard as wizard - basically dr frankenstein from penny dreadful show - lost mother at young age couldn't do anything about it turned to science to try to overcome death - you can guess what he is doing in dyrewood what with all animancy there. this was my pro animancy build.

Cool concept. The Wizard I was planning was going to be your typical power hungry archmage early on in their career. Not an evil character per se, but they'd do evil things to further their own power. Their reasons for visiting the Dyrwood would be similar to yours: a search for knowledge about extending their life, either with animancy or magic. Violent visits to a pair of archmages in the region would also fit them.

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 1

2. Berath priest/Pallid Knight concept that will lose faith in the end because you know stuff happens at the end (I dont think dyrewood will fair well in this the ending   :devil: ). I think this one will change to druid because that seems like the godless faith to me or maybe paladin for similar mechanics so the character is still driven but has no faith. not sure yet maybe multclass druid/paladin for the oddness

Sounds like a build I've been mulling over for a while, which I call Berath's Reaper. Basically a Priest of Berath wielding Tidefall, wearing the Maegfolc Skull and having the RP motivation of hunting down vessels and spirits to return them to the Wheel.

I like the fact you're thinking about how the revelations of Pillar's ending will affect your character's class in Deadfire.

Cool concept. The Wizard I was planning was going to be your typical power hungry archmage early on in their career. Not an evil character per se, but they'd do evil things to further their own power. Their reasons for visiting the Dyrwood would be similar to yours: a search for knowledge about extending their life, either with animancy or magic. Violent visits to a pair of archmages in the region would also fit them.

Ye the wizard concept was basically he isnt evil. but for science and for his obsession with overcoming death he would bend the normal rules to meat his aims kinda like what Caedman Azo turned into. I dont like pure evil stuff even my ranger he is not 'evil' really. there is a reason for his hatred and resentment from those who harmed him in the slave trade which he equates with the apparatus of those ruling dyrwood and the citizens that support it. That is why i am torn on what to do with white march 1 content fior the ranger. i dont know if i want to finish it. meaning start the forge. To me most of the content for white march especially part 1 revolves around helping stalwart and my ranger well he doesnt want to help these people. he hates them. why are there no other choices but to help those people. why cant you side with the orges and hurt them. or divert the ore to some other faction or anything else. Somehow keep for yourself.  It really annoys me and i think its a little bit of missed story progression. i guess in white march 2 stuff you can have more choices but still alot of the content is for helping them there too. the vithrak incident, the Iron Flail Fort (help stalwart). until the final stuff in white march 2. this is what disappointed me about all that content

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

Well, I have 3 ciphers...

So my second Deadfire playthrough will likely be with a devout blade or devout ascendant.

Haven't decided on the multi/sub classes for the first run though.

Edit: actually thinking of:

- (melee) shattered soul blade

- (melee) shifter ascendant

- (melee) stalker ascendant (echo spam on pet)

- (ranged) helwalker ascendant (with long pain)

- (ranged) sharpshooter ascendant/beguiler

- (ranged) back jacket ascendant (with dual-pistols quick-switch; or blunderbusses if possible)

- (ranged) ghost-heart ascendant (echo spam on pet; twinned arrows)

- (ranged) trickster beguiler

So.. yeah, there is a lot to think about)

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Well, I have 3 ciphers...

So my second Deadfire playthrough will likely be with a devout blade or devout ascendant.

Haven't decided on the multi/sub classes for the first run though.

Naked solo runs again? ;)

• Like 1

Naked solo runs again? ;)

That wasn't a naked solo run though :)

Just a few naked solo dragon fights)

Edited by MaxQuest

I'm going to import a Cipher so I can become a Seer. (Cipher+Ranger)

I don't mind much about the ranger class it's just that a Seer is my absolute favorite type of character in any setting.

From an RP perspective the Ghost Heart might be a nice pick. Somehow a Spirit Animal summon seems fitting for a Seer archetype.

I'm importing either my barb, my chanter, or my priest of Weal, and probably multiclassing some combination of those 3 classes.

Troubadour seems like it would be really strong multiclassed with anything else that also wants might and int but thats assuming a lot about things like dragon trashed existing and working basically the same as in PoE 1.

A 'Howler' Corpse Eater or Berserker/Troubadour would be pretty metal but I'm guessing a priest/chanter  multiclass will be stronger, because priest.

The idea of Priest/Berserker to punch everyone in the world in the face with HoF + minor avatar certainly has appeal but doesn't seem like it would have great synergy before that very late point in the game.

My 2 cannon (hopefully 3) Paladins. So far a Wayfarer and 2 Darcozzi. I have a shield bearer who I orginially beat the game with but he didnt do WM1 or WM2 and I think they said its not preffered to transfer an original game file? Putting together a run with a Goldpact Knight lets see if it works after this current run. It will by my only true run without story companions. Just mercenaries ones. Beneath the Gold the Bitter Steel!

I think it will be more like Icewind Dale. Less Dialogue more fights. Once I get the time I will post the build with the Goldpact Knight. I think it is cool. Plus I did that Shieldbearer run (was my 1st) on hard and only count my PotD/ToI and TC wins as cannon. Dead is dead and whoever buys the farm on the way does! Combat is a dirty business.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.