Versus Evil announced as Deadfire's publisher

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

haha well this is awkward. double topic post

heh, yeah, noticed yours after posting mine. Hopefully moderators can merge :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

A new name to me. Seems to be good news; A small pub with low overhead, more passion less greed. I've been less than keen on Paradox lately, with their careless flippancy with regards to Tyranny. Not to mention Paradox has been heavily trying raise market capital lately, and I think a buyout from Tencent was being floated not too long ago. They've already bought 5% of them.

Versus Evil CEO Steve Escalante last year: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-09-05-versus-evil-were-establishing-a-new-brand-every-time

For example, Versus Evil started out as a PC focused company - "There was a lot of corpses in mobile," Escalante says - but even though the company is barely three years old cross-platform is already essential.

"I now need cross-platform," he continues. "I probably won't sign a game - unless it's just stellar - for a single platform. It helps us mitigate the risk. And I'm looking at multiplayer more seriously now, just from a longevity point-of-view." The emergence of Twitch and YouTube as platforms for raising awareness is also an increasingly relevant aspect of what makes a game attractive.

"Anything new that we sign, we're actively talking about how we can embrace those things now. In the past, we weren't nearly as assertive. I wouldn't turn a game down because of it, but at the same time I'm potentially more interested if we can do some Twitch stuff with it.

As they say on Twitter, life comes at you fast.

Versus Evil CEO Steve Escalante last year: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-09-05-versus-evil-were-establishing-a-new-brand-every-time

For example, Versus Evil started out as a PC focused company - "There was a lot of corpses in mobile," Escalante says - but even though the company is barely three years old cross-platform is already essential.

"I now need cross-platform," he continues. "I probably won't sign a game - unless it's just stellar - for a single platform. It helps us mitigate the risk. And I'm looking at multiplayer more seriously now, just from a longevity point-of-view." The emergence of Twitch and YouTube as platforms for raising awareness is also an increasingly relevant aspect of what makes a game attractive.

"Anything new that we sign, we're actively talking about how we can embrace those things now. In the past, we weren't nearly as assertive. I wouldn't turn a game down because of it, but at the same time I'm potentially more interested if we can do some Twitch stuff with it.

I wonder if this refers to normal publishing where they would provide the capital for a game not just distribute it like with Pillars. If that is normal publishing  I mean they are not taking on all the risk here for Pillars so maybe it more attractive.

Edited by draego

I wonder if this refers to normal publishing where they would provide the capital for a game not just distribute it like with Pillars. If that is normal publishing  I mean they are not taking on all the risk here for Pillars so maybe it more attractive.

Keep in mind, also, that Obsidian is a more established developer than Versus Evil has worked with before, and they're making a sequel to a game that was already a critical and commercial success. 

• Like 1

Now, that's a face lift. *Cough!*

At least, I'll admit gold and teal fits the pirate theme a bit better, but I had higher hopes than that. Aw well, I have the Obsidian Forums makeover to look forward to.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

This is interesting news. I'm happy about it; I was less than thrilled with the way Paradox approached Pillars 1; there didn't seem to be a whole lot in the way of marketing and advertising for it, and almost *nothing* for Tyranny. The way they've handled the Tyranny DLC hasn't helped my image of them any.

• Like 1

This is interesting news. I'm happy about it; I was less than thrilled with the way Paradox approached Pillars 1; there didn't seem to be a whole lot in the way of marketing and advertising for it, and almost *nothing* for Tyranny. The way they've handled the Tyranny DLC hasn't helped my image of them any.

Aye, I don't really miss Paradox as publisher either. Though I have to wonder why use a publisher at all unless it's just for shipping backer stuff around the world so people don't have to pay taxes for their products.

Most of the marketing will be done with Fig anyways. Is Versus Evil big enough to manufacture boxed copies of the game to certain European markets? Or is there any reason to do so at all. Gog/Steam sales obviously beat the boxed sales copies...

Hate the living, love the dead.

WithPillars, Obsidian did much to promote it and they did it good imo. Updates, presentations etc. I don't know how Paradox helped with that, I didn't spot any difference. Same with Deadfire. They're already doing great by themselves; I don't know how VS Evil's gonna do better promotion-wise.

Aaaanyway... as usual I don't care much about all that; the games are popular, we most probably gonna see more of them with or without publishers and life goes on.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

WithPillars, Obsidian did much to promote it and they did it good imo. Updates, presentations etc. I don't know how Paradox helped with that, I didn't spot any difference. Same with Deadfire. They're already doing great by themselves; I don't know how VS Evil's gonna do better promotion-wise.

Aaaanyway... as usual I don't care much about all that; the games are popular, we most probably gonna see more of them with or without publishers and life goes on.

Sure, but those are aimed at the very specific crowd only. I doubt they reach a wider audience than those really interested in Obsidian or PoE.

Speculation time - publisher might provide various ads on websites, making deals with outlets to get a word out, reaching to audiences of their other titles. Who knows how much paperwork is needed to publish game globally. I imagine that if the work of a publisher wasn't significant devs wouldn't cooperate with them willingly.

• Like 2

Sure, but those are aimed at the very specific crowd only. I doubt they reach a wider audience than those really interested in Obsidian or PoE.

Speculation time - publisher might provide various ads on websites, making deals with outlets to get a word out, reaching to audiences of their other titles. Who knows how much paperwork is needed to publish game globally. I imagine that if the work of a publisher wasn't significant devs wouldn't cooperate with them willingly.

That's exactly what I meant. Obsidian did lots of updates, presentations, etc. but there wasn't any wider marketing to the wider audience *outside* of that core RPG crowd. That's the part I would've expected the publisher to do, and they didn't really. Tyranny was even worse; there was *NOTHING* to push that game. I'm hoping that Versus Evil will make a bigger ruckus--paying for web ads is a good start for something I'd expect the publisher to handle.

• Like 1