So how do you guys feel about them? Also, do you think we should get the option of naming our multiclasses ourselves?

Here they are:

https://playfig.s3.amazonaws.com/CampaignMediaItem/image/rich_text_editor_image/2017/09/20/fb142528-dd26-4489-8728-3ef2cc6ce87d

I think Chanter/Rogue should definitely be Bard... it's the most obvious and appropriate title/class concept out of all the 55. Harbinger isn't too bad, it could be used for Chanter/ pretty much anything other than rogue.

Also Fighter/Paladin should be Champion. Crusader brings a religious feel to a class that has nothing to do with with religion. I'd much rather see Paladin/Priest as Crusader. Templar is a reference to an actual real life organization so it feels a little out of place in this setting. Crusader feels a bit more general.

There are other names which don't fit too well(Wildrhymer lol)... but these two were bugging me the most.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

There are other names which don't fit too well(Wildrhymer lol)... but these two were bugging me the most.

ding ding. Ye that is just wierd but i like them for the most part. It would be nice to rename yourself but there may be in game text that references the name and then your name wont match but that prob not a big issue. i have seen that request in other places

Edited by draego

Not really feeling the Cipher names. Inquisitor is good but not from the perspective of an emphasized Cipher to me(the Paladin names seem mostly thematically good). I was leaning Hunter or Rogue to multiclass, but Seer sounds too primitive and "stalker" isn't the kind of rogue I had in mind. Psyblade is the only one I feel Cipher flavor in, though it's bit on the nose. 

If we can talk about subclass names here too, I was disappointed to see Wild Mind is apparently just for Serafen. The name is cool and the flavor of being self-taught would have worked perfectly for my character. Ascendant and Soul Blade sound good, but Beguiler is pretty unimpressive, though apt for what it does.

Edited by Icesong

As I posted in the tweets & teasers thread, I'd have gone with "Theurgist" instead of "Theurge."  I know that's the word that the D&D PrC uses, but I've always seen Theurgist used to describe historical practicioners of Theurgy (the 2 dictionaries I have on hand agree), and it avoids easy "The Urge" jokes.

In my book, "War Caller" is a good deal more lame than WildRhymer.  Should've just named every Fighter/Chanter Edwin Starr.

I was hoping for chanter/priest to be called "Cantor" but now it's what chanter/monk is called. "Celebrant" doesn't sound all that epic. I'm liking most of the barbarian/* names although the name "Witch" sounds more to me like a fragile, casting-oriented person and barbarian/cipher is pretty much all-melee. But I'm beginning to like the idea, might make a witch myself. All-in-all I don't have anything I'd really dislike about the decisions they made. Well, maybe the Celebrant one because I was doing a Chanter run in the hopes they go with the Cantor for chanter/priest.

Still think Druid/Priest, Chanter/Druid, or Priest/Chanter would've been better as a Shaman.

Druid = Nature

Priest = Faith

Chanter = Spirits

Barbarian = Rage

Resource/Power pool.

What is a Shaman? A spiritual guide. Talking with natures spirits. Meditation and other fluff.

Most often in video games having some sort of Restorative or elemental power (Thrall in WC3 for instance, Chain Lightning, Feral Spirits, Far See and Earthquake).

Druid of the Bear (WC3 unit) has Rejuvenation. Also, all Druid units in WC3 have Shapeshifting.

Druid/Chanter would've been a perfect fit.

Edited by Osvir

So how do you guys feel about them? Also, do you think we should get the option of naming our multiclasses ourselves?

Here they are:

https://playfig.s3.amazonaws.com/CampaignMediaItem/image/rich_text_editor_image/2017/09/20/fb142528-dd26-4489-8728-3ef2cc6ce87d

I think Chanter/Rogue should definitely be Bard... it's the most obvious and appropriate title/class concept out of all the 55. Harbinger isn't too bad, it could be used for Chanter/ pretty much anything other than rogue.

Also Fighter/Paladin should be Champion. Crusader brings a religious feel to a class that has nothing to do with with religion. I'd much rather see Paladin/Priest as Crusader. Templar is a reference to an actual real life organization so it feels a little out of place in this setting. Crusader feels a bit more general.

Thoughts?

A Crusader is simply someone who fights for a cause. Doesnt have to be a religious cause.

A Crusader is simply someone who fights for a cause. Doesnt have to be a religious cause.

The name indicates that he fights for/with the Cross, which is very much Christian thus religious.

Of course many words are being used outside their original meaning, but your statement does away completely with that meaning.

Here they are:

Thoughts?

I think the question is(as Sawyer mentioned in the update), what provides a clearer character concept?

For me, the champion of a paladin order would be the best combatant or fighter in that order. Technically, 'crusader' can be used in different contexts. But it's most appropriate use is when referencing a holy warrior.

Same with Bard, it's the name with the most clear character concept. Harbinger sounds pretty nebulous. 

Yes, i would like to be able to edit the names, i would be satisfied with it being easily moddable, i suppose they tried to came with a name that could fit a 50/50 base classes, people could have more appropriate names for the specific concept of they characters, that and the fact that i got a little obsessed thinking sub-classes names and ended up with a large list of names that i am satisfied with :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Pondering over the right names for these 55 combinations turns out to be a strangely riveting endeavor.

Here are some suggestions:

druid fighter - earth guardian
druid priest - pantheist
druid wizard - elementalist
wizard cipher - psionic
druid monk - hermit
ranger monk - wayfarer
fighter monk - pugilist
priest monk - seeker/aspirant
priest ranger - mendicant
rogue paladin - holy avenger
monk paladin - zealot
rogue priest - apostate
cipher monk - psimonk
wizard priest - heirophant
Edited by barafundle

Wayfarer could be used for ranger/chanter... it's not perfect, but definitely better than wildrhymer.

Also like I mentioned in the OP, paladins have nothing to do with religion in this setting. So holy avenger(or holy slayer for that matter) is not really appropriate for paladin/rogue. Hope they change that.

The name indicates that he fights for/with the Cross, which is very much Christian thus religious.

Of course many words are being used outside their original meaning, but your statement does away completely with that meaning.

Not according to webster

There was a big thread on this.  And I had a massive post I won't repeat here.  (BTW: It's interesting that they did not go in alphabetical order, and picked fighter first.)  Here's my feelings:

• Fighter names are solid.
  • Howler for a Barb / Chanter is a bit silly.  I still think Skald or Skop would have been better there.  I'm not super-keen on Ravager for Barbarian/Monk either; besides the silliness, it's like naming a class "the rapist."  Other than that, the names are decent.  Warlock, Witch, and Shaman are pretty good choices.
  • The Cipher is decent.  Oracle seems more priest-like to me but whatever.
  • Liberator is a silly name for Druadins.  Universalist isn't great either for druid priests.
  • Holy Slayer for Paladin/Rogue is a bit silly.  Votary is so-so. 
  • Contemplative isn't a great class name.  Zealot would probably be better replaced by Cultist but isn't a bad fit.
  • Geomancer for Ranger/Wizard is ok, not great, but that's not a natural class combination anyways.  Explorer might be better.
  • Spellblade is perfectly fine.

Put it together and I think they did a decent job. I only think 7 out of 55 names really need to be looked at.  That's a high B.

I like Universalist, it sounds hermetic to me.

Why not just pick Hermit or Hermetic then?  Or Animist?  Or  Numinate?

Not according to webster

Check the etymology section next time you look at Webster's dictionary.  It's right there: blend of Middle French croisade & Spanish cruzada; both ultimately from Latin cruc-, crux cross.  That said, I think much like Jihad, the word's meaning has changed enough that it fits well with Paladins.

Edited by anameforobsidian

A couple of the names were picked up in the previous thread:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91412-care-to-guess-the-names-of-the-other-multiclasses/page-2?hl=ascetic

Some people came up with names that were moved around and 23 were completely on the mark.  Several more names were guessed, but no one got the class exactly right.

Witch, Zealot, Hierophant, Theurge, Cantor, Contemplative, Sage, Shepard, Sorceror are examples of this.  Zealot in particular was all over the place. The fact that 32/55 were guessed makes me wonder if they actually did look at the page.  Of the guesses, I believe I had the most completely right (as of now), but Blotter was close in completely right names and had several names that were picked up for other class combos.

Names I wish were used:

Iconoclast, Divine Fist, Wayfarer, Heretic, Paci-Fist, Cultist, Nemesis

One of the Rogue cross-ups should be called "SkullDugger." They would be practicioners of skullduggery, obviously.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'd love to choose my multiclass name as well. In case I go the Rogue/Fighter route, I'm sure my character would not be a Swashbuckler. A Fighter/Rogue might be but not the other way around. A sneaky, two-dagger wielding figure appearing out of thin air is no swashbuckler.

Fighter/Rogue = Rogue/Fighter under the revised multi-classing system. I suppose you could call the class a bushswackler...

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."