Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #40 - Multiclassing Part II

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2284 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Heh! I was sleeping. I meant exponentially, since "logarithmically" in this case would mean very slow. :lol:

You could pretend you meant that your appetite was so high that you'd need a logarithmic scale to see it ;)

• IndiraLightfoot and injurai like this

Sethanon

Sethanon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 47 posts

This multiclassing is very good news.

To be honest I found it confusing in IWDII where DND 3.5 edition was applied.

Second edition is better, more simple and maybe also easier to understand.

However, if I understand, you cannot have three classes on one character, only two, right?

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I normally don't like skill trees that much, but this Deadfire skill tree, it makes the Grand Arch Druid of All Mo'Fo Treehuggers!

Overall, this update boosted my already ridiculously  whetted my appetite for this game logarithmically.

Deadfire is shaping up to become a true CRPG classic, I'm so very glad I backed this, and I am a proud Black Isle bastard.

Aargh!

It's just the class talents/abilities/spell shown per level and acquisition requirements, they could have done the same thing in POE1 (or a D&D based game, especially 3e and later versions).

Trees are just more readable than a list is.

• Bill Gates' Son, injurai and JerekKruger like this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2284 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Trees are just more readable than a list is.

Indeed, it simply lets you plan ahead more easily.

• kanisatha likes this

Kadayko

Kadayko

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 38 posts

However, if I understand, you cannot have three classes on one character, only two, right?

Yes. 

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7632 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yes, but you can combine the abilites/spells of up to four classes - because some subclasses get access to spells of another class.

Example: Priest of Berath/Trickster (I know, but just for the sake of it...)
Priest of Berath can have priest spells and has access to certain druid spells. Trickster has access to rogue abilites and also gets access to the illusion spells of a wizard. So you CAN have the abilites/spells of four different classes combined in one character. If this makes sense or is viable is another discussion, but you can do it.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7202 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

What are Shred powers? 

No one other than Obsidian knows at this point. I'd guess direct damage powers but beyond that I have no idea.

My guess, based on that name, would be powers that at least temporarily "shred" armor/deflection? *shrug*

draego

draego

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Quote Josh: 

CommissarMega posted:

Are the multiclass names set in stone? Because I want to run a Barbarian/Cipher, but the name 'Witch' is just so... meh. Something like 'Wild Spirit' or the like? As long as it's , that'd be cool.

They're not set in stone. If we hear enough negative feedback about *~ WiLdRhYmErS ~* or whatever we can change them.

Ok i hate WiLdRhYmErS. please fix ranger name. Just wanted to add to the general hate for this name. We will see.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4668 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Quote Josh: 

CommissarMega posted:

Are the multiclass names set in stone? Because I want to run a Barbarian/Cipher, but the name 'Witch' is just so... meh. Something like 'Wild Spirit' or the like? As long as it's , that'd be cool.

They're not set in stone. If we hear enough negative feedback about *~ WiLdRhYmErS ~* or whatever we can change them.

Ok i hate WiLdRhYmErS. please fix ranger name. Just wanted to add to the general hate for this name. We will see.

Barbarian/Cipher => Headbanger  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 

Lillyhime

Lillyhime

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:lillyhime
  • Xbox Gamertag:Lilly Hime
  • Steam:lillianswordmaiden
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Do we have a cut off date/deadline for buying the addons like the figures or dlc?

HooAmEye

HooAmEye

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, it was like two days ago

draego

draego

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I dont know, on twitter they mentioned today is the last day to get higher rewards

Edited by draego, 29 September 2017 - 01:36 PM.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3561 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's all in the OP:

Announcements

The time to pledge for Deadfire high-tier items is coming to an end. If you want to get an item in the game, you have until next Friday, September 29th, to pledge for that tier. After that, they will no longer be available. The tiers this affects are as follows:
  • Name a Pet
  • Create an Item
  • Portrait In-Game
  • Create a Super-Pet
  • Create a Spell
  • Create an Inn
  • Build a Pirate Party
  • Top Backer
All other tiers will remain open until October 31st, so mark that date if you want to up your pledge or let your friends know to get in on Deadfire early!

29th September to get the higher tiers; 31st October for everything else.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else think that gaining new Weapon Proficiencies at level up is going to be indifferent/useless for the Devoted subclass? Since the class gets penalties for using any weapon other than their favored, all they really need is the proficiency they take at first level, which is going to be for their favored weapon. At that point, reaching levels that grant extra proficiencies is going to get Devoted less bang for their buck compared to every other class.

hilfazer

hilfazer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 372 posts

On an unrelated note, does anyone else think that gaining new Weapon Proficiencies at level up is going to be indifferent/useless for the Devoted subclass? Since the class gets penalties for using any weapon other than their favored, all they really need is the proficiency they take at first level, which is going to be for their favored weapon. At that point, reaching levels that grant extra proficiencies is going to get Devoted less bang for their buck compared to every other class.

She/he can only be proficient in a single weapon, i guess it means only one prof point.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3561 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Still getting less bang for the buck than anybody else when reaching levels that would normally grant extra proficiency points. Shouldn’t there be something to make up for it?

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Devoted probably do have more stuff. The oneliners for the subclasses are missing stuff we have seen in game UI (ex: Conjurer getting a conjured pet, Transmuter being able to turn into an Ogre) or gotten from Josh's explanations (ex: Ascendant being lower power level when not at Max Focus which is totally not mentioned).

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2254 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I am happy to see I can now plan my character by seeing the entire ability tree right from the get-go. Thanks guys!

• rjshae, IndiraLightfoot, AndreaColombo and 4 others like this

masterlew

masterlew

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's all in the OP:

Announcements

The time to pledge for Deadfire high-tier items is coming to an end. If you want to get an item in the game, you have until next Friday, September 29th, to pledge for that tier. After that, they will no longer be available. The tiers this affects are as follows:
  • Name a Pet
  • Create an Item
  • Portrait In-Game
  • Create a Super-Pet
  • Create a Spell
  • Create an Inn
  • Build a Pirate Party
  • Top Backer
All other tiers will remain open until October 31st, so mark that date if you want to up your pledge or let your friends know to get in on Deadfire early!

29th September to get the higher tiers; 31st October for everything else.

Can comeone explain what does this mean exactly? 

hilfazer

hilfazer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 372 posts

I like new multiclassing system because lvl 1 class abilities/talents will not need to suck at low levels.

• MaxQuest likes this

Skaddix

Skaddix

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 82 posts

I am happy to see I can now plan my character by seeing the entire ability tree right from the get-go. Thanks guys!

Yeah that is pretty useful granted means I will probably spend forever at character creation. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users