Update #40 - Multiclassing Part II

It's all in the OP:

Announcements

The time to pledge for Deadfire high-tier items is coming to an end. If you want to get an item in the game, you have until next Friday, September 29th, to pledge for that tier. After that, they will no longer be available. The tiers this affects are as follows:
  • Name a Pet
  • Create an Item
  • Portrait In-Game
  • Create a Super-Pet
  • Create a Spell
  • Create an Inn
  • Build a Pirate Party
  • Top Backer
All other tiers will remain open until October 31st, so mark that date if you want to up your pledge or let your friends know to get in on Deadfire early!

29th September to get the higher tiers; 31st October for everything else.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else think that gaining new Weapon Proficiencies at level up is going to be indifferent/useless for the Devoted subclass? Since the class gets penalties for using any weapon other than their favored, all they really need is the proficiency they take at first level, which is going to be for their favored weapon. At that point, reaching levels that grant extra proficiencies is going to get Devoted less bang for their buck compared to every other class.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

On an unrelated note, does anyone else think that gaining new Weapon Proficiencies at level up is going to be indifferent/useless for the Devoted subclass? Since the class gets penalties for using any weapon other than their favored, all they really need is the proficiency they take at first level, which is going to be for their favored weapon. At that point, reaching levels that grant extra proficiencies is going to get Devoted less bang for their buck compared to every other class.

She/he can only be proficient in a single weapon, i guess it means only one prof point.

Vancian =/= per rest.

Still getting less bang for the buck than anybody else when reaching levels that would normally grant extra proficiency points. Shouldn’t there be something to make up for it?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Devoted probably do have more stuff. The oneliners for the subclasses are missing stuff we have seen in game UI (ex: Conjurer getting a conjured pet, Transmuter being able to turn into an Ogre) or gotten from Josh's explanations (ex: Ascendant being lower power level when not at Max Focus which is totally not mentioned).

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I am happy to see I can now plan my character by seeing the entire ability tree right from the get-go. Thanks guys!

• Like 7

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

It's all in the OP:

Announcements

The time to pledge for Deadfire high-tier items is coming to an end. If you want to get an item in the game, you have until next Friday, September 29th, to pledge for that tier. After that, they will no longer be available. The tiers this affects are as follows:
  • Name a Pet
  • Create an Item
  • Portrait In-Game
  • Create a Super-Pet
  • Create a Spell
  • Create an Inn
  • Build a Pirate Party
  • Top Backer
All other tiers will remain open until October 31st, so mark that date if you want to up your pledge or let your friends know to get in on Deadfire early!

29th September to get the higher tiers; 31st October for everything else.

Can comeone explain what does this mean exactly? 

• 3 weeks later...

I like new multiclassing system because lvl 1 class abilities/talents will not need to suck at low levels.

Agreed. But don't they still scale with power level? Which ranges from 1 to 9, and at character lvl 1 is... 1?

• 3 weeks later...

I only just heard about this change because apparently I'd been missing my updates! But I just want to say YES! YES to this system. This is perfect and I kind of feel like coming to after so much hard work really kind of vindicates my long-held and probably misguided belief that AD&D2E's multiclassing system (which was basically similar to this, only with more limits and eccentricities but also triple-classing) was the greatest multiclassing system of all time (GMCSOAT).

Looks fantastic! Just one minor - almost cosmetic concern. I'm not sure about some of the names of the sub-classes - they appear to be a bit clunky. Not sure if they are still a work in progress, but I think they could be more elegant.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

• 1 month later...

I only just heard about this change because apparently I'd been missing my updates! But I just want to say YES! YES to this system. This is perfect and I kind of feel like coming to after so much hard work really kind of vindicates my long-held and probably misguided belief that AD&D2E's multiclassing system (which was basically similar to this, only with more limits and eccentricities but also triple-classing) was the greatest multiclassing system of all time (GMCSOAT).

So long as it isn't AD&D dual classing.  Then your level 12 chanter would have to advance 13 levels in priest before being allowed to use any chanter abilities.  :(

• 2 weeks later...

It would be grate to start as single class, then adapt second class later.

Especially for new or casual players, setting of multi-class before the game actually started is nightmare.

Also I would like to see an easy system to level up MainCharacter.

Basically same features as auto-level-up for followers.

Level up then you have a chioce :

1. press a button to auto

2. do it yourself

(when you do it yourself, then you cant re-activate auto-leveling)

Auto leveling might be cool.

Make preselect a few most classic archetypes: Warrior/Wizard/Thief

then let player choose, the proven classic an auto, or his own build.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a paladin shield barer on my POE 1 game that I will be using in POE2.  Using the gold silver star system of POE1 it appears that my best multiclass choices for POE2 are Eothos priest, druid or fighter. My stats bare without enhancing rests or any equipment are Mig 16, Con 14,  Dex 11, Per 11, Int 15, Res 16. These include bonuses from the machine in Heritage Hill and elsewhere. I understand that my cruelty 2 and deception 1 are negatives. My question is which in this case would you choose? I am leaning towards Eothasian priest.  Please state why you made your choice.

If the level caps at 20 what is the level cap for multiclassed? 10? Please help!

Seems that you are asking about character level, if so the answer is: the same 20.

For base Deadfire game (without expansions) the following are expected:

- character level cap for single-class character is 20.

- character level cap for multi-class character is 20.

- base power level for single-class character @ level 20 is: 9

- base power level for multi-class character @ level 20 is: 7

Note: power level can be increased via: empower, subclass percs (e.g. ascendant, lifegiver), racial percs (e.g. nature godlike) and so on.

Using the gold silver star system of POE1 it appears that my best multiclass choices for POE2 are Eothos priest, druid or fighter.

Hmm, never heard of such system in PoE1. Could you elaborate? Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1