Update #40 - Multiclassing Part II

Kind Wayfarers - Flames of Devotion (Sword and the Shepherd) heals nearby allies.  Does less damage against enemies vulnerable to Sneak Attack. - Cannot multiclass with priests of Berath, Magran, Wael, or Skaen.

Does this (somewhat) nerf the rogue class, if you multi-class priest/rogue?

As written it severly nerfs the damage dealing capability of a King Wayfarer Paladin. It says "does less damage against enemies vulnerable to sneak attack", to my mind that means any enemy that has an affliction that enables Sneak Attacks, regardless of whether there is a Rogue to take advantage. I hope that it actually means "does less damage against enemies under attack from a Rogue benefiting from Sneak Attack".

Assuming it only applies when an enemy is actually being Sneak Attacked, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Have your Paladin attack someone else to your Rogue, and if there's only one enemy simply accept that your Paladin will do less damage (they're not meant to be big damage dealers anyway).

Well - why not? You can attack enemies with afflictions with your rogue abilities - and when there are no enmies with afflictions you can use your FoD to deal damage. It's more like balancing things out instaed of adding them up, but it's maybe not too bad. It's not great either I have to admit though... ;)

I wonder if the second talent of the paladin orders will still be in as pickable option? Like Strange Mercy, The Black Path and stuff? Would be a pity if not.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I wonder if the second talent of the paladin orders will still be in as pickable option? Like Strange Mercy, The Black Path and stuff? Would be a pity if not.

I was wondering the same thing. I hope so, and it would be even cooler if each had further modified ability trees with unique variants of many powers.

What are Shred powers?

No one other than Obsidian knows at this point. I'd guess direct damage powers but beyond that I have no idea.

I'd hazard a guess that it's "Disintegration" type spells, single target raw damage over time that end in destroying the target, like Detonation etc

• Like 1

Well - why not? You can attack enemies with afflictions with your rogue abilities - and when there are no enmies with afflictions you can use your FoD to deal damage. It's more like balancing things out instaed of adding them up, but it's maybe not too bad. It's not great either I have to admit though... ;)

Sneak attack in PoE 1 only works with certain afflictions, right---"when the target is BlindedFlankedHobbledParalyzedPetrifiedProneStuckStunned, or Weakened"?

Kind Wayfarer - Rogue isn't going to be an optimal DPS build, and most of the PoE 1 Rogue debuffs trigger sneak attack, but what about the Trickster (gets wizard illusion spells in exchange for weaker sneak attack)? The obvious seeming PoE 1 Illusion spells don't trigger sneak attack:

Arkemyr's Dazzling Lights - dazed

Bewildering Spectacle - confused

Confusion

Arkemyr's Wondrous Torment 

Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage - sickened / terrified

Ryngrim's Enervating Terror 

Llengrath's Dread Haze - Sickened

(Not sure if Arkemyr's Capricious Hex or Wall of Many Colors would be illusion, they do cause paralyze.)

And about half the likely Illusion spells prevent damage (wizard's double, mirror image, etc., maybe even the spells that create a duplicate/dummy of the caster). So a Kind Wayfarer-Trickster tank/support character might not be bad.

(Though why not just KW - Illusionist? PoE 2 rogue is supposed to be sturdier than in PoE 1... and there's also Adept Evasion. But the main advantage might be the rogue's ability to disengage and move around the battlefield to get within range to heal or rescue squishies---the PoE 2 video showed the icon for Coordinated Positioning.)  

Wonder what schools the wizard spells from PoE 1 will be put in. They'll probably add some to balance out the schools and their different power levels. If the Trickster gets access to the highest level illusion spells... would that even be worth it? Obvious "illusion" spells in PoE 1 seem to taper off at higher levels with the exception of Llengrath's Dread Haze (which I've never tried---I guess "foe health and endurance concealed for 20 seconds" means they won't initiate any heals triggered by low endurance?).

Edited by SaruNi

I normally don't like skill trees that much, but this Deadfire skill tree, it makes the Grand Arch Druid of All Mo'Fo Treehuggers!

Overall, this update boosted my already ridiculously whetted appetite for this game logarithmically.

Deadfire is shaping up to become a true CRPG classic, I'm so very glad I backed this, and I am a proud Black Isle bastard.

Aargh!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

When it comes to multiclassing I really don't care, would prefer prestige classes... but the hype is strong nonetheless.

Shout out to all you Warrior/Ranger/Cleric/Mage/Squirrel/Carrot/Communists out there.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

This multiclassing is very good news.

To be honest I found it confusing in IWDII where DND 3.5 edition was applied.

Second edition is better, more simple and maybe also easier to understand.

However, if I understand, you cannot have three classes on one character, only two, right?

I normally don't like skill trees that much, but this Deadfire skill tree, it makes the Grand Arch Druid of All Mo'Fo Treehuggers!

Overall, this update boosted my already ridiculously  whetted my appetite for this game logarithmically.

Deadfire is shaping up to become a true CRPG classic, I'm so very glad I backed this, and I am a proud Black Isle bastard.

Aargh!

It's just the class talents/abilities/spell shown per level and acquisition requirements, they could have done the same thing in POE1 (or a D&D based game, especially 3e and later versions).

Trees are just more readable than a list is.

• Like 3

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Yes, but you can combine the abilites/spells of up to four classes - because some subclasses get access to spells of another class.

Example: Priest of Berath/Trickster (I know, but just for the sake of it...)

Priest of Berath can have priest spells and has access to certain druid spells. Trickster has access to rogue abilites and also gets access to the illusion spells of a wizard. So you CAN have the abilites/spells of four different classes combined in one character. If this makes sense or is viable is another discussion, but you can do it.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

What are Shred powers? 

No one other than Obsidian knows at this point. I'd guess direct damage powers but beyond that I have no idea.

My guess, based on that name, would be powers that at least temporarily "shred" armor/deflection? *shrug*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Quote Josh: 

CommissarMega posted:

Are the multiclass names set in stone? Because I want to run a Barbarian/Cipher, but the name 'Witch' is just so... meh. Something like 'Wild Spirit' or the like? As long as it's , that'd be cool.

They're not set in stone. If we hear enough negative feedback about *~ WiLdRhYmErS ~* or whatever we can change them.

Ok i hate WiLdRhYmErS. please fix ranger name. Just wanted to add to the general hate for this name. We will see.

Quote Josh: 

CommissarMega posted:

Are the multiclass names set in stone? Because I want to run a Barbarian/Cipher, but the name 'Witch' is just so... meh. Something like 'Wild Spirit' or the like? As long as it's , that'd be cool.

They're not set in stone. If we hear enough negative feedback about *~ WiLdRhYmErS ~* or whatever we can change them.

Ok i hate WiLdRhYmErS. please fix ranger name. Just wanted to add to the general hate for this name. We will see.

Barbarian/Cipher => Headbanger  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."