Shameful admission. I have never used Combusting Wounds properly.

Did you ever test Spark tSotR with chanter's Mith Fyr?

I didn't, but I am 99% sure that Aefyllath will add to Spark damage as iirc each instance goes through attack resolution.

Btw, besides cipher, there is also another synergy for the Spark. In theory it should be really good with a big number of allied targets: animal companions, figurines... the Deadfire Beckoner subclass...

wait so combusting wounds doesn't trigger with abilities like infestation of maggots, plague of insects etc. anymore?

CW is no longer triggered by DoT ticks. Afaik the application of a DoT does not trigger it either, because no damage is dealt. Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

@ Boer! hey you bum! :) I need your test knowledge since all my save files are single files! How's the damage on Enduring Flames with 10 INT. My Immolation AE will suck :(

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

We talked about those weird DoTs a couple of months ago. I just looked it up again and according to Kaylon:

[...]Enduring Flames seems to have now a fixed duration and its damage isn't affected by INT anymore. It deals 50% burn damage against 100%DR (because there are a fixed 4 ticks) but each tick is affected by MIG and someone with 30MIG will do 80% burn damage overall instead. A paladin could end adding 200% burn damage against 175% DR which means you can one shot many enemies with an arquebus or Firebrand.

So you will not have to worry about SA with gimped INT. :)

High INT is also not too bad with Runner's Wounding Shot and/or Tidefall. Because it's all raw damage the DR is no issue and thus the longer timespan where the DoT is applied over more and smaller ticks is not a problem. The overall raw damage stays the same, it just takes a bit longer to apply it completely (few seconds). You don't lose overall damage - you just lose a bit of dps (damage per second). So enemies die a few seconds later - that's the worst thing that will happen. Longer wounding duration can also have benefits - for example if you try to time Cleasing Flame + wounding on the same target or when you have a pet with Predator's Sense in the party.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

CW is no longer triggered by DoT ticks. Afaik the application of a DoT does not trigger it either, because no damage is dealt.

Apologies for not testing this myself - my gaming PC is packed away and will be for another couple of weeks.

If I understand correctly, then something like Chill Fog which "attacks" (and could still miss) every couple of seconds would still trigger a CW hit, but things like Touch of Rot and Autumn's Decay (picking spells you had not ruled out yet) which apply a DoT and can't miss, would not trigger an attack and thus no CW damage is applied.

If I understand correctly, then Wodjee has made one error in his run since he usually used the Rotfinger Gloves before Combusting Wounds. Not that it makes a major difference in the end since each target would only receive 5 more damage.

Lastly, with CW not triggering on DOTs, I have new respect for my Plague of Insects, Rotfinger Glovers, Insect Swarm and Autumn's Decay combo. I though it was so deadly since every tick added another 20 damage, but turns out that combo is just pretty mean by itself.  :blink:

Edit: Forgot about Wicked Briars and Wall of Thorns in my aforementioned combo. Those should cause a CW trigger and yes, getting all of those spells up took time, but very few opponents survived this barrage from my solo druid. Unfortunately he still needs to do all the dragons, so I still have to see whether this combo would work as great as I hope it would...

Edited by grausch

Ultimate.jpg

Autumn's Decay will actually trigger one instance of CW because it has an instant damage part and an additional DoT part - if I remember correctly. The initial hit will trigger one instance of CW.

But yes, Touch of Rot will do nothing with CW. Chillfog, Wicked Briars, Venom Bloom, Sacred Immolation, Symbol of Whomever and so on will trigger CW with every "pulse".

The powerful thing about most DoT spells/abilites is that their damage can be boosted twofoldly: with MIG (boosting damage additively) and INT (boosting damage multiplicatively). Also, in case of a crit you will not add a mere +50% to base damage, but instead you add +50% duration which is more powerful (because it's multiplicative).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

The powerful thing about most DoT spells/abilites is that their damage can be boosted twofoldly: with MIG (boosting damage additively) and INT (boosting damage multiplicatively). Also, in case of a crit you will not add a mere +50% to base damage, but instead you add +50% duration which is more powerful (because it's multiplicative).

Exactly :)

And Deadfire will also add the Troubadour's bonus linger; and the extra 'fold' being the damage coefficient that comes from power_level (if it made it's way to the new system).

• Like 1

We talked about those weird DoTs a couple of months ago. I just looked it up again and according to Kaylon:

[...]Enduring Flames seems to have now a fixed duration and its damage isn't affected by INT anymore. It deals 50% burn damage against 100%DR (because there are a fixed 4 ticks) but each tick is affected by MIG and someone with 30MIG will do 80% burn damage overall instead. A paladin could end adding 200% burn damage against 175% DR which means you can one shot many enemies with an arquebus or Firebrand.

So you will not have to worry about SA with gimped INT. :)

High INT is also not too bad with Runner's Wounding Shot and/or Tidefall. Because it's all raw damage the DR is no issue and thus the longer timespan where the DoT is applied over more and smaller ticks is not a problem. The overall raw damage stays the same, it just takes a bit longer to apply it completely (few seconds). You don't lose overall damage - you just lose a bit of dps (damage per second). So enemies die a few seconds later - that's the worst thing that will happen. Longer wounding duration can also have benefits - for example if you try to time Cleasing Flame + wounding on the same target or when you have a pet with Predator's Sense in the party.

Thanks man! One more thing. What's the Acronym for SA? Not sure what you mean by that

Have gun will travel.

What's the Acronym for SA? Not sure what you mean by that

Erm, I meant SI for Sacred Immolation. But I always type SA (maybe for SAcred Immmolation?). Can't say why, there's a kink in my brain or something. :)

• Like 1

Got ya.  I mean the AOE of Sacred Immolation will be gimped with a bad INT.  Its not a solo run so that matters a bit.  Not worried about Exhortation durations as they are long enough with 10 INT.  Do not get me wrong I love high INT exhortations but even the base time is hefty.  

Have gun will travel.

Yes, but as I said: no need to take only 10 INT because of Enduring Flames. The duration got fixed and is no longer dependent on INT. So you can have a huge SI AoE AND deal good damage with Enduring Flames. And don't forget high MIG for pumping Enduring Flames' as well as SI's damage.

• Like 1

Combusting Wounds doesn't just add some fire damage to a hit: it applies a burn DoT effect (that does around 5 damage per tick). I believe MaxQuest showed once that every instance of CW does over 300 burn damage against 0 DR with decent MIG and INT. Of course DR lowers this a lot. The good thing is that it applies the same DoT over and over again (stacks) with every hit - and it doesn't matter how puny the hit is. All you need is to generate a lot of hits in a short amount of time (Heart of Fury, blunderbusses, retaliation, missile spells, wall of something and so on).

One of my favorite wizard setups is Island Aumaua + Arms Bearer + Quick Switch + Combusting Wounds + Expose Vulnerabilities + 4 blunderbusses. I don't think there are many competitors to single target burst damage. I never did the math, but it feels more powerful than FoD with an arquebus,especially because you can combine it with special attacks: 24 parallel Combusting Wounds instances and reduced DR already wreck almost everything. But then throw in Runner's Wounding Shot and Envenomed Strike for total DoT Overkill...

Also, Kaylon's video where he's killing Magran's Faithful with CW + HoF + Vengeful Defeat shows the power of CW (and HoF of course).

Edit: lol dammit, I meant 30 burn damage, not 300! :D

Hang on hang on. Combusting wounds is a low level wizard spell that can possibly do significant damage under the right conditions. Those damage figures you have quoted there from maxquest 300 damage? That is no where near realistic what will be replicated by a player in realistic battle conditions.

That build you have mentioned with the quick switch Off the blunderbuss four times: just doing that quick switch would kill most enemies so much damage would come just from that.

I think you are over selling how powerful it is, under the right conditions, versus the right enemy, who has low DR, if positioned properly it can do beneficial.

Combusting Wounds doesn't just add some fire damage to a hit: it applies a burn DoT effect (that does around 5 damage per tick). I believe MaxQuest showed once that every instance of CW does over 300 burn damage against 0 DR with decent MIG and INT. Of course DR lowers this a lot. The good thing is that it applies the same DoT over and over again (stacks) with every hit - and it doesn't matter how puny the hit is. All you need is to generate a lot of hits in a short amount of time (Heart of Fury, blunderbusses, retaliation, missile spells, wall of something and so on).

One of my favorite wizard setups is Island Aumaua + Arms Bearer + Quick Switch + Combusting Wounds + Expose Vulnerabilities + 4 blunderbusses. I don't think there are many competitors to single target burst damage. I never did the math, but it feels more powerful than FoD with an arquebus,especially because you can combine it with special attacks: 24 parallel Combusting Wounds instances and reduced DR already wreck almost everything. But then throw in Runner's Wounding Shot and Envenomed Strike for total DoT Overkill...

Also, Kaylon's video where he's killing Magran's Faithful with CW + HoF + Vengeful Defeat shows the power of CW (and HoF of course).

Hang on hang on. Combusting wounds is a low level wizard spell that can possibly do significant damage under the right conditions. Those damage figures you have quoted there from maxquest 300 damage? That is no where near realistic what will be replicated by a player in realistic battle conditions.

That build you have mentioned with the quick switch Off the blunderbuss four times: just doing that quick switch would kill most enemies so much damage would come just from that.

I think you are over selling how powerful it is, under the right conditions, versus the right enemy, who has low DR, if positioned properly it can do beneficial.

You might want to read the last line of the post you quoted....

So my last line in what I said doesn't make more sense then boerer telling a newb (semi newb) that combusting wounds is a raw all powerful weapon of destruction that has been lab tested to do 300 points of damage to your enemy?

Im just trying to be real

Look at the bolded blue part below.....

Edited by mosspit

So my last line in what I said doesn't make more sense then boerer telling a newb (semi newb) that combusting wounds is a raw all powerful weapon of destruction that has been lab tested to do 300 points of damage to your enemy?

Im just trying to be real

You have difficulties with that reading mumbojumbo, haven't you?

Nobody wrote raw damage. I wrote burn damage. Maybe you messed up the terms DoT and raw damage - or you think that every DoT effect is automatically raw or something. Can't say what your brain did there - only that it's wrong.

Nobody said CW is all powerful. I just said that it's good with a lot of hits in a short time and that it doesn't matter how weak those hits are.

I corrected my initial typo of 300 damage to 30 damage and left the 300 in while I stroke the last zero so that everyone can see that I made a typo and corrected myself. It's even in your quote. You just need to put on your reading goggles I guess.

If you are trying to "be real" then maybe try to "really" read the stuff you want to be real about. Else you are not going to be real but unintentionally funny.

Edit: the 4 blunderbuss shots will usually be aimed at different targets that are affected by CW (which has an AoE), not all on a single target. I thought that was clear but I didn't mention it. Every enemy will get +180 burn damage (vs 0 DR) if all pellets hit. That's what I meant when I said it's more powerful than Flames of Devotion. Of course you can also shoot then into one enemy if he has that much endurance...

The combo of DR bypass and reduced DR via Expose V. makes the blunderbuss a good choice even against mid-DR foes.

Edit 2: Again you are dismissing stuff that you haven't done by yourself. It's ok to be sceptical though, no problem with that.

Edit 3: Torm51 has been around for a long time. He's no newb nor semi-noob or whatever.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1