Shameful admission. I have never used Combusting Wounds properly.

It can be abused somewhat. Cast something that locks down the enemy in place like Web, Slicken or Stun/Prone, then cast an AoE damaging spell with duration, like Chillfog, then cast Combusting Wounds and hit them with tons of ranged speed weapons or blunderbusses or blast wizards. CW will keep triggering and triggering. Dead bad guys galore. Works great when you have bottlenecks like doorways that allows for the enemy to group.

Not very Paladin-like I know.... the shame!

• Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

It can be abused somewhat. Cast something that locks down the enemy in place like Web, Slicken or Stun/Prone, then cast an AoE damaging spell with duration, like Chillfog, then cast Combusting Wounds and hit them with tons of ranged speed weapons or blunderbusses or blast wizards. CW will keep triggering and triggering. Dead bad guys galore. Works great when you have bottlenecks like doorways that allows for the enemy to group.

Lol its not that! The use has just been foggy to me.  Do you cast it before or after the damage spell.  As you said after works.

PS off topic.  Fought the Kraken last night.  That poor bastard I destroy him with no mercy every time he's not tough lol.  Easiest boss by far far far compared to dragons.

Sworn Enemy+ Arbalest shot to his noggin for a 196 crit lol.  He was hit simultaneously by Minoletta's Precisely piercing burst and a sunlance.  Instant death.  I think he was injured also from Dragon thrash and wailed plus Sacred Immolation as well.  Because one thing he does have a lot of is HP.  Not that it matters lol

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 2

Have gun will travel.

Lol its not that! The use has just been foggy to me.  Do you cast it before or after the damage spell.  As you said after works.

PS off topic.  Fought the Kraken last night.  That poor bastard I destroy him with no mercy every time he's not tough lol.  Easiest boss by far far far compared to dragons.

Sworn Enemy+ Arbalest shot to his noggin for a 196 crit lol.  He was hit simultaneously by Minoletta's Precisely piercing burst and a sunlance.  Instant death.  I think he was injured also from Dragon thrash and wailed plus Sacred Immolation as well.  Because one thing he does have a lot of is HP.  Not that it matters lol

I couldn't figure out how to get to the Kraken my first run (well, technically my 2nd run). Then I lost my save. But how much of the content is left after you are done with him though? I am not sure whether rushing him to grab Legendary weapon enchants is worth it.

Anyways, thanks for starting this topic. Very useful, and I did not understand the brouhaha over Combusting Wounds myself!

Edited by Lampros

Combusting Wounds doesn't just add some fire damage to a hit: it applies a burn DoT effect (that does around 5 damage per tick). I believe MaxQuest showed once that every instance of CW does over 300 burn damage against 0 DR with decent MIG and INT. Of course DR lowers this a lot. The good thing is that it applies the same DoT over and over again (stacks) with every hit - and it doesn't matter how puny the hit is. All you need is to generate a lot of hits in a short amount of time (Heart of Fury, blunderbusses, retaliation, missile spells, wall of something and so on).

One of my favorite wizard setups is Island Aumaua + Arms Bearer + Quick Switch + Combusting Wounds + Expose Vulnerabilities + 4 blunderbusses. I don't think there are many competitors to single target burst damage. I never did the math, but it feels more powerful than FoD with an arquebus,especially because you can combine it with special attacks: 24 parallel Combusting Wounds instances and reduced DR already wreck almost everything. But then throw in Runner's Wounding Shot and Envenomed Strike for total DoT Overkill...

Also, Kaylon's video where he's killing Magran's Faithful with CW + HoF + Vengeful Defeat shows the power of CW (and HoF of course).

Edit: lol dammit, I meant 30 burn damage, not 300! :D

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Combusting Wounds doesn't just add some fire damage to a hit: it applies a burn DoT effect (that does around 5 damage per tick). I believe MaxQuest showed once that every instance of CW does over 300 burn damage against 0 DR with decent MIG and INT. Of course DR lowers this a lot. The good thing is that it applies the same DoT over and over again (stacks) with every hit - and it doesn't matter how puny the hit is. All you need is to generate a lot of hits in a short amount of time (Heart of Fury, blunderbusses, retaliation, missile spells, wall of something and so on).

One of my favorite wizard setups is Island Aumaua + Arms Bearer + Quick Switch + Combusting Wounds + Expose Vulnerabilities + 4 blunderbusses. I don't think there are many competitors to single target burst damage. I never did the math, but it feels more powerful than FoD with an arquebus,especially because you can combine it with special attacks: 24 parallel Combusting Wounds instances and reduced DR already wreck almost everything. But then throw in Runner's Wounding Shot and Envenomed Strike for total DoT Overkill...

Also, Kaylon's video where he's killing Magran's Faithful with CW + HoF + Vengeful Defeat shows the power of CW (and HoF of course).

What are the ways to get Combusting Wounds other than via Wizard's spells?

Thanks for the explanation bud.  I have been meaning to ask this for a while and have not.  The in game description just sounds like its puny fire damage for every hit.  Or maybe I just cant read.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Ring of Searing Flames, it gives a couple of uses per rest. You can find a couple of those, I believe.

Ya this.  I have looted  a few on this run.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Can someone explain why its so ridiculous?  So an enemy receives a small amount of fire damage every time they are hit?  Why is that crazy?

Have found the post about CW mechanics: link

I believe MaxQuest showed once that every instance of CW does over 300 burn damage against 0 DR with decent MIG and INT.

That must be Dragon-Trashed or Shinning Beacon... :)

CW is much more modest, but still at 20 MIG / 20 INT, an instance of CW DoT will inflict on average: 25.9 dmg over it's duration vs 0 DR. (or ~14.4 vs 10 DR).

Now if barbarian is surrounded by 5 enemies, and uses HoF while dual-wielding, that's: 10 hits + 40 carnage hits.

So if one would use CW before HoF, he would deal extra:

50 * 25.9 = 1465 burn damage (or 293 vs each) (if they have 0 DR)

50 * 14.4 = 720 burn damage (or 144 vs each) (if they have 10 DR)

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Review any of the videos by Wodjee to get an idea of how powerful this is.

Combined with the Rotfinger Gloves, it can make most of Act II's fights considerably easier when playing solo. Someone affected by CW and hit by any DoT weapon (like Tidefall) will take the full damage every time the DoT ticks. Combine something like Rotfinger Gloves with Chillfog, Ray of Fire and Ninagauth's Bitter Mooring and you have pretty insane damage per tick.

Cipher can use the Ring of Searing Flames, Rotfinger Gloves and Antipathetic Field and watch most enemies take significant damage in a very short amount of time.

Until I saw the Ultimate Wizard run, I thought it usefulness peaked in Act II, but after learning (errr....copying) some new tactics and thinking of how to combine CW and the RF gloves, I am convinced that I can make most post Act II fights a lot easier as well.

Unfortunately, after reading some of the posts above, I realise I have been thinking much too small... :facepalm:

• Like 1

Ultimate.jpg

Someone affected by CW and hit by any DoT weapon (like Tidefall) will take the full damage every time the DoT ticks.

Since v3.02 CW no longer procs from DoT ticks.

CW still procs from periodic damage (where each instance goes through attack resolution) though.

• Like 2

Yes, Chillfog, Wicked Briars, Nature's Terror, Spark the Souls of the Righteous and such are still working great, but nowadays DoTs are not.

Also, I did a nasty typo with the 300 - I meant 30. :facepalm: Rodriguez called, he wants his Buttercut back... ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Yes, Chillfog, Wicked Briars, Nature's Terror, Spark the Souls of the Righteous and such are still working great, but nowadays DoTs are not.

Also, I did a nasty typo with the 300 - I meant 30. :facepalm: Rodriguez called, he wants his Buttercut back... ;)

Hmmm, I am just reminded that fights are going to be considerably longer in PotD. So maybe a Chillfog tank is better than a Drake Ambassador tank, because I will have time to cast Invocations for once (of course, I still used Dragon Thrashed in the Chillfog set-up, too).

Happens)

Btw, Spark of the Souls also generates focus for the affected ciphers; but uses priest's MIG for calculations)

How are DOTs broken? other then the old stuff like high INT characters making DOTs worse.

Have gun will travel.

Not broken. They just nerfed CW so that DoTs don't trigger it on each tick.

Also, there are only some DoTs where less INT means higher dps. Most of them work like "more INT = more damage". And the damage increase via INT is multiplicative.

Make a really stupid Goldpact paladin with Runner's Wounding, Tidefall and Enduring Flames. :)

Might work quite well...

That dumped int makes me cringe man. What's the damage like at 10 INT?

Plus AOE for your Sacred Immolation will suck :(

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.