My 1st PotD group: A new Middle Earth Fellowship

Literally no need to go off into the woods looking for reflect against Lagufaeth. Take your most sturdy characters have them pop out of stealth first and take the heat the AI will aggro them first. Then pop your second line and start buffing.

Also do not underestimate Sidewinders. They are rogues with crazy good attack speed and sneak attack. Take them out. Fast. Since they are ranged I usually drilled them with FoD arbalest shots or charged a fighter at them.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Literally no need to go off into the woods looking for reflect against Lagufaeth. Take your most sturdy characters have them pop out of stealth first and take the heat the AI will aggro them first. Then pop your second line and start buffing.

Also do not underestimate Sidewinders. They are rogues with crazy good attack speed and sneak attack. Take them out. Fast. Since they are ranged I usually drilled them with FoD arbalest shots or charged a fighter at them.

Yup. I didn't realize what Sidewinders did until I looked at the logs. WTF.

Edit: But Charge unavailable until level 13 :(

Edited by Lampros

Aila Braccia turns 100% (!) of ranged targeted grazes (also spells like Broodmothers's Cleansing Flame) into misses and reflects the attack. It is supergood if your defenses are high and yiu get attacked by ranged spells or stuff like those paralyzing blowdarts. They will paralyze themselves...

Ranged misses will still miss with Aila Braccia. Actually it's a great shield - especially for monks because those can also reflect ranged misses via Soul Mirror.

• Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Aila Braccia turns 100% (!) of ranged targeted grazes (also spells like Broodmothers's Cleansing Flame) into misses and reflects the attack. It is supergood if your defenses are high and yiu get attacked by ranged spells or stuff like those paralyzing blowdarts. They will paralyze themselves...

Ranged misses will still miss with Aila Braccia. Actually it's a great shield - especially for monks because those can also reflect ranged misses via Soul Mirror.

While on the topic of Monks and Aila Braccia, how did you manage to make it work? When I was planning for the Monk build for my recent playthrough, I was stuck in a dilemma which the Monk had to be defensive enough for Soul Mirror and Aila Braccia to be effective, yet weak enough to take dmg in a consistent way for Wounds in order to power his other abilities.

In the end I forgo the idea as I was planning a retaliation based character but I am guessing it could work if the Monk is built as a defensive tank? Also it means not getting full attacks from Torment Reach?

Edited by mosspit

Sigh, my 3rd group did not work out as intended either. So I will have to re-start.

Basically, here's what happened. I wanted to run a buff stacking team that centered on the use of 2 Paladins stacking 2 Focuses and semi-permanent Inspiring Triumphs - as well as Chanter and Priest buffs. The problem is that I am relying on the Wizard mind control & Gyrd as the primary CC early and mid-game, and that meant the mind controlled mobs kept all my buffs as well when they reverted. When this happened against a boss or a strong mob, I had a Devil of time killing anything. And even against garden variety trash, fights just went far longer than any of my prior playthroughs - because I had stacked so many (especially defensive) buffs that transferred to enemies. Worse yet, I nearly wiped in Maerwald - and incredibly, I actually did wipe when I fought Gathbin's hirelings when I had to meet someone at that Ondra's Bay pub. I cannot believe this; that is an easy fight in any playthroughs. But the Gyrd chain Dominated virtually everyone in Gathbin's crew early, and they in turn got all my Paladin, Chanter, Priest buffs. So I lost after what seemed like a 10-minute fight. Jeepers.

I guess I could continue and not use mind control as much, but I don't really have too much CC otherwise. And frankly, I have always relied on Wizard mind control CCs that I am not sure how to play without it. I have Fighter's CCs, but that's at later levels (I am level 7 now), and I am not sure they will be enough.

So back to the drawing board, and I guess I either have to drop buff stacking team set-up or get a Ranger in there as a low-micro CC instead. I guess some ideas that looked good on paper - buff stacking and being super tanky in this case - do not always work out the same way in practice.

Edited by Lampros

Why don't you use Arcane Dampener?

ROFL, I didn't even know about it, and I've never picked it ;) Now I know and will use in the future.

But I deleted the save in frustration after I wiped on Gathbin's hirelings. That was just incredible - and unacceptable.