When Everyone Has to do "Before Battle" Checks...

Why is there no indicator as to where the battle actually starts?

When I face those pesky monster "does damage to every character in location" before I even get to act monsters (e.g. Blue dragon), I just close my eyes and roll for damage. When you have to roll this 6-7 times you forget when the battle actually starts. So you just roll the dice w/o playing any cards.

This has happened so many times and it is infuriating, not to mention often causes me to lose the entire scenario. The game is so ridiculously unfair and poorly thought out it's not even funny.

Yes, before the battle actions happens before you have a change to do anything. You can use reduce damage power to reduce the damage. And it works exactly as it should in digital version. So no worry, it is just fine!

I think the concern is not about damage that happens before you do anything.  It's because you roll damage for each character, then it becomes the first character's turn to act.  If you don't pay attention, you may think you're just rolling damage again, and not play the appropriate boons to improve the die roll

• Like 2

PFID-F5D45B8AF20421AC

Yes, before the battle actions happens before you have a change to do anything. You can use reduce damage power to reduce the damage. And it works exactly as it should in digital version. So no worry, it is just fine!

I think the concern is not about damage that happens before you do anything.  It's because you roll damage for each character, then it becomes the first character's turn to act.  If you don't pay attention, you may think you're just rolling damage again, and not play the appropriate boons to improve the die roll

Which make failing a roll your fault and your fault alone... but in any case, doesn't that game roll for damage by itselt? You get to roll for checks to see if you take damage, but as far as I remember, damage, level increase and like is automatically rolled.

doesn't that game roll for damage by itselt? You get to roll for checks to see if you take damage, but as far as I remember, damage, level increase and like is automatically rolled.

No, it's not about rolling for damage.  It is when you have a long string of "Before you act" rolls you don't care about, and inadvertently throw an unmodified d6 when the combat check comes up.  Not gonna lie...  it's happened to me a few times... 

Anyway, I know I was just being inattentive; I'm not going to call out the rules for being broken or declare this some terrible bug.  Things actually are a lot better now as of the February update or so.  The display in the top middle of the screen now tells you why you're rolling.  When the Villain comes up "Check to Defeat... Combat" it's time to take a mental pause and start emptying everyone's hands of blessings.

ss_acaa8676bb7034495349d283b05a287e59ac9

Which make failing a roll your fault and your fault alone... but in any case, doesn't that game roll for damage by itselt? You get to roll for checks to see if you take damage, but as far as I remember, damage, level increase and like is automatically rolled.

I think in 2017 and especially on mobile, one would expect AI to take care of everything. If you got to AD6 and have 6 characters, it's very common to have to roll 6 times repeatedly, due to the way levels are designed. You will literally lose count even if you try to keep track.

With 6 characters and the inability to skip dice roll animation it can easily be ~5min before the battle actually begins. Hard to require players to pay attention for that long, especially on a mobile game.

I think in 2017 and especially on mobile, one would expect AI to take care of everything. If you got to AD6 and have 6 characters, it's very common to have to roll 6 times repeatedly, due to the way levels are designed. You will literally lose count even if you try to keep track.

With 6 characters and the inability to skip dice roll animation it can easily be ~5min before the battle actually begins. Hard to require players to pay attention for that long, especially on a mobile game.

There is almost nothing true in this post.

One would not expect the AI to take care of everything. If the AI took care of everything, who would play the game?

You will not literally lose count even if you try to keep track. If you try to keep track, and have learned to count to six, then you will know precisely when the combat roll is coming. Even if you lose track, if you take the approximately one second to look at the Check to Defeat box--as Ethics has taken his precious time to show you, with all the love and care in the world--then you will know precisely when the combat check is.

It cannot be five minutes before combat starts. Even with six pre-combat rolls, that would mean each roll takes 50 seconds. Does each roll take 50 seconds? No. Twelve rolls would mean each roll takes 25 seconds. Does each roll take 25 seconds? No. So what are you talking about? Or did you mean that you rolled three times, put the iPad down, went to the bathroom, then returned to roll the last three times? Yes, I suppose that took 5 minutes, and that is appalling. In 2017, the AI should go to the bathroom for you.

If you cannot require players to pay attention to something for a minute, then perhaps it is time we give up on civilization entirely. Certainly reading these posts makes me want to.

Regardless, Obsidian is not going to add a STOP--COMBAT IS COMING NOW box, because that would annoy the 99% of players who don't want their game slowed down any more than it already is. So perhaps it is time to move on to another useless complaint?

• Like 2

There is almost nothing true in this post.

One would not expect the AI to take care of everything. If the AI took care of everything, who would play the game?

Regardless, Obsidian is not going to add a STOP--COMBAT IS COMING NOW box, because that would annoy the 99% of players who don't want their game slowed down any more than it already is. So perhaps it is time to move on to another useless complaint?

Precisely. AI should do everything? No way. This is a game intended for you to think about and combine, not to 'roll and feel good'. Multiple rolls can be boring, but they are at most 5s each (well, if you do not intend NOT to lose any of them). Half a minute is around the maximum for 6 heroes.

And the possible sign 'Combat incoming!' would truly be more irritating than the state that the game is in now. Maaaaaybe some flashing icon or vividly coloured card / check-to-defeat box on the card would be tolerable, but other things would slow gameplay even more. And that is totally against your complaint that rolls are taking too much time... Quite a contrary point of view, I think.