Can I get a recommendation please

I've never played the witcher 3 or skyrim are either of these good?

Does this also mean you never played Witcher 1, Witcher 2, Morrowind and Oblivion?

To answer your question: yes, Skyrim is good and Witcher 3 is gorgeous. Be informed though that they take a lot of time. If your schedule is tight, I would recommend Witcher 2.

Or can anyone recommend a good rpg to play?

You can also give DA:Inquisition a try.

I liked Skyrim a lot when I was doing it "stealthy style" with a character focused on sneaking/backstabbing with bow and dagger and using illusions. It's a totally different game then and the gameplay isn't that "hectical" compared to the usual melee approach.

Skyrim has the advantage (over Witcher) that you can create your own character (appearence). But it's a looong game if you want to see everything, like Max Quest said.

What I also liked was Dragon Age: Origins (NOT Inquisition ;)). But of course that's a tad old now.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yep never played any of those maxquest. The only games I've ever really liked are baldurs gate 1& 2, pillars, Warcraft 3, gta5,

I can keep playing the game when I go back to work so game length is no issue.

Which one is the best one to play you guys reckon?

Edited by firkraag888

I would pick Skyrim. I don't like the limitations the Witcher has in terms of character development.

The only thing I don't like about Skyrim is the stupid leveling system (you automatically get better at what you do). If you despise that then hands off! :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I would pick Skyrim. I don't like the limitations the Witcher has in terms of character development.

The only thing I don't like about Skyrim is the stupid leveling system (you automatically get better at what you do). If you despise that then hands off! :)

The modding i see over there makes me jealous. Cant we just contribute another 85 million (skyrim budget) or so and get scripting/editing tool in POE for custom modding. :)

Edited by draego
  • Like 2

If you have time for both, start with Skyrim, because it may be hard to play open world RPGs after W3.

Otherwise I recommend playing Witcher 2 (which is relatively short) straight into Witcher 3 + DLCs (esp. Hearts of Stone). Also there are books. Personally I have really enjoyed them.

P.S. W3 has better story. Skyrim more possibilities/freedom. Mechanic wise both can be broken, although Skyrim even more so (enchanting+alchemy+smithing endless optimization is an evil too hard to resist).

If you have time for both, start with Skyrim, because it may be hard to play open world RPGs after W3.

Otherwise I recommend playing Witcher 2 (which is relatively short) straight into Witcher 3 + DLCs (esp. Hearts of Stone). Also there are books. Personally I have really enjoyed them.

P.S. W3 has better story. Skyrim more possibilities/freedom. Mechanic wise both can be broken, although Skyrim even more so (enchanting+alchemy+smithing endless optimization is an evil too hard to resist).

I haven't played skyrim although i may try skywind once it finished in 5 years or so but ye elder scrolls games seem to be setup to be breakable. Even though i wouldnt recommend it when i played oblivion, for the last quarter of the game i spent nearly invisible with enchantments and just killed every enemy even the end boss while they still wondered what was happening. It was the only reason i finished since i was tired of that game. I am actually ashamed i beat that game because i dont like or recommend it. 

Edited by draego

The only games I've ever really liked are baldurs gate 1& 2, pillars, Warcraft 3, gta5,

I can keep playing the game when I go back to work so game length is no issue.

Personal preferences come into play a lot. Given your appreciation for BG and PoE in the cRPG row (and not knowing what else you might've tried), it seems that party-based isometric titles with a fair focus on the story and controlled strategic combat hold more than enough appeal. I'll assume you are familiar with some of the successors of Baldur's, older or newer.

The aforementioned Dragon Age also falls into this category (the first one is the most 'pure' in its essence, so to say). 

Elder Scrolls games (i.e. your Morrowinds, Oblivions, Skyrims) are just vastly different. A type of sandbox experience that will offer you a large open world and options to explore at will, but at the same time can be very unfocused. Bethesda isn't exactly valued for providing large amounts of memorable plots and great characters/dialogues, to put it mildly. 

The Witcher series, on the other hand, has a well-defined protagonist with his own history (but you still get to shape your choices as you go). Only the third one offers an open world experience, although it's not nearly as aimless as Skyrim's. If you wanted to look into it and value a well-told, mature tale, I'd fully recommend starting with the first one. This way you'll get much more out of the following two, as characters and the world will make even more sense. 

Both TES and Witcher are more actione-y in terms of dynamic combat. No party experience per se, though at least in the Witcher you've got some recurring friends. 

Or you could look into the direction of the sky, if you have somehow never stumbled onto Mass Effect series. And last but not least, the wonderfully underappreciated Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. It was made by spiritual brothers and sisters of Obsidian folks (both studios having a fondness for making worthy titles, while also committing grand many atrocious bugs upon their creations). 

• 1 month later...

a lot of the games being recommended are great but they are too dated. cmon guys. if someone wanted a car you wouldnt recommend a car from the 70s 80s. would someone really enjoy bg2 or planescape if they are playing for the first time in 2017?

fallout 4 is a good game people can enjoy without requiring niche cult interests. skyrim too.

a lot of the games being recommended are great but they are too dated. cmon guys. if someone wanted a car you wouldnt recommend a car from the 70s 80s. would someone really enjoy bg2 or planescape if they are playing for the first time in 2017?

fallout 4 is a good game people can enjoy without requiring niche cult interests. skyrim too.

What a great advise! If what you're saying is true (and it clearly is) this means old cars are *exactly* the same as old games, and old books, and old music records, and old movies. How stupid I was when I thought my son will want to see Star Wars (1977) or Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981). He should totally watch something from this year, 2016 tops!

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 3

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Imo, the example with cars is not really fitting here.

On the other hand I understand what asnjas means, as for instance I remember having lots of fun (maybe even most of fun) in Morrowind and NWN1, but their graphics is too dated for me to re-play them.

... still trying to man up and try BG2 which I've recently bought; meanwhile looking for ways to break GalCiv3 instead...

Pillars hearkens back to a specific cluster of old-school games with beautiful quasi-2D art styles and immersive writing:

Other IE games (IWD1/2, PST - originals not remakes)

Arcanum

Fallout 1 & 2

& certain newer games that evoke parts of that feel:

NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer 

NWN2: Souls of Zehir

Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2

KOTOR2

For party-based tactical combat with a modicum of challenge and thought, well, there's very few, but let's throw in:

Dragon Age: Origins (not the sequels)

IWD1&2 (again)

uh...

If you wanted to go further in tactical combat that you enjoyed in POE, you actually want to go towards more strategy-influenced RPGs (Baldur's Gate was originally developed as a strategy game):

Jagged Alliance 2

Expeditions: Conquistador

Blackguards 1

Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall or Banner Saga 1 for an easier pick up and play iteration

Realms of Arkania (originals, not HD)

Might & Magic and Wizardry series...

Edited by Tigranes
  • Like 1

I strongly agree with Dragon Age: Origins. Amazing game. If you want something a bit different try Hard West: A tactical turn based strategy game set in the "Weird West" (i.e. the wild west but with vampires and stuff like that). 

Of course you could play Tyranny which is another Obsidian RPG, i haven't had a chance to play it yet but it looks great. i also recommend Fallout 1 & 2 if you haven't played them and if the outdated graphics and UI don't turn you off.

Also, if you're a fan of Cyberpunk I strongly recommend you check out the Shadowrun games! Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun Dragonfall, and Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

Oh, and how could i forget? Wasteland 2, another brilliant  RPG. Haven't gotten to play this yet but it's VERY highly touted.

Edited by WOLFGEIST

• 1 month later...

Can we assume you've already finished PoE?  I'm not trying to be critical but does this thread belong here when PoE isn't even mentioned?  Obviously yes, since it's here, hmm.  Anyway, I suggest Divinity Original Sin (DOS), it is more like PoE than any of the other games mentioned.  I've played Skyrim to death for 2 years then someone stole my PS3 along with the millions of gold I had amassed in the game.  I interpreted the theft as a blessing because Skyrim was taking over my life and didn't realize until after it was gone that there are other games out there.  I played DAInquisition for a while, dropped it for Witcher 3.  These 2 games were trying to keep pace with Syrim wrt it's sandbox style and huge worlds to explore, so I really was just trying to reproduce my experience with Skyrim when I played them.  Then I picked up DOS and what a refreshing change, truly a great game and DOS2 is just out this September so there's a LOT of RPG gaming available with DOS and DOS2.

I'm going to recommend another JSawyer Obsidian game, Fallout New Vegas. Personally it is my favorite of the 3d Fallout games and still a very rewarding experience.

And with all the amazing complete mods out there for the game now, you can truly be in for an amazing experience. 

Edited by Naesaki