Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D:OS II

D:OSII

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8858 posts

0wuazAb.jpg

• Leferd, ShadySands, algroth and 1 other like this

Nail

Nail

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Steam:Perebor
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

0wuazAb.jpg

Haha, true! I was a bit shocked with their elven design... Long necks, eating flesh - weird :) 

Good thing they made an option to play as an undead character.

Looking forward to test out their arena and co-op.

As for the npc character spotlights - I'm not fond of their idea to make such acquaintance.

They made it way too simple. For some it may be great - plain and simple, but it's not deep as Obsidian / Black Isle did, when you learn the npc through the game content.

Anyway I prefer to play alone to max out game difficulty :no:

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

This grabs me. I found myself wanting to learn more about the characters past.

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 554 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

These Origin Stories vids look very pompous and remarkably silly, with the ball-jointed mannequin-like animation hardly helping. I haven't played the first Divinity or seen much of the second, but are these at all representative of the game's overall tone? Might just skip them.

Edited by algroth, 13 September 2017 - 08:04 AM.

• injurai likes this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8569 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

These Origin Stories vids look very pompous and remarkably silly, with the ball-jointed mannequin-like animation hardly helping. I haven't played the first Divinity or seen much of the second, but are these at all representative of the game's overall tone? Might just skip them.

Yep, that is definitely the tone of Larian games. If you don't like silliness and tongue in cheek humor, it is not a good fit for you.

Honestly, if you don't chuckle when you hear the name DIVINE DIVINITY, you really aren't in the target audience.

• SadExchange, Agiel and injurai like this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2443 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Do not like the neckbeast elves at all

I don't remember them being like that in Dragon Commander but maybe I'm misremembering

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't remember them being like that in Dragon Commander but maybe I'm misremembering

Those were different elves. <.< >.>

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 554 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yep, that is definitely the tone of Larian games. If you don't like silliness and tongue in cheek humor, it is not a good fit for you.

Honestly, if you don't chuckle when you hear the name DIVINE DIVINITY, you really aren't in the target audience.

I don't mind either but I don't see what in these videos indicates to that silliness being deliberate, or self-aware. To me it's just, well... Bad. But if you say the games are more self-aware and tongue-in-cheek humorous, I guess I'll try them out.

Edited by algroth, 13 September 2017 - 09:35 AM.

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 619 posts

Those were different elves. <.< >.>

Hell, given how seemingly disconnected all the different games are from each other if you only played certain entries in the series you'd be forgiven for thinking there weren't any elves or dwarves in the universe.

Edited by Agiel, 13 September 2017 - 10:16 AM.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yeah, Larian is all about sarcasm, humor and sillyness. They take certain RPG concepts and flip thrm on their head. Let's see if I can give an example... Hmmm. Romances! While the first D:OS doesn't allow players to romance two humans, you can help 2 cats fall in love lol

It doesn't break the fourth wall but it gets pretty close. It kinda goes the way of Saints Row of rpg's.

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 619 posts

Or "Source-erers," for that matter.

• Hurlshot likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10156 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't mind either but I don't see what in these videos indicates to that silliness being deliberate, or self-aware. To me it's just, well... Bad. But if you say the games are more self-aware and tongue-in-cheek humorous, I guess I'll try them out.

Well, it's very subjective. I've played all of their games and I've found all of their humour awful, but it certainly is deliberate and self-aware. 

• aluminiumtrioxid likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5311 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Whats the Saving and Resting limitations?

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4493 posts

0wuazAb.jpg

Yeah what the hell is with the necks on those elves. 

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8569 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

Elves have always creeped me out, so if anything this just validates my distaste.

• SonicMage117 likes this

Eumaios

Eumaios

(3) Conjurer

• Validating
  • 121 posts

Whats the Saving and Resting limitations?

This.  I've had some extra time lately and I'm a little tired of chess and Mordheim at the moment.  I wouldn't mind trying DOS (makes me think cd \PoR), but I want a funny game where I can kick ass and name names.  I don't mind the battles being hard, but I've grown weary of games that get cutesy with resting and saving.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1082 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I like humor, but I'm not Larian's type of humor. I love stuff like Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Portal 2, The Stanely Parable, Destroy All Humans, Monkey Island. Can't pinpoint the exact quality that sets them apart, but I don't really find silliness or snarkiness to be inherently funny. It needs to demonstrate what it's perspective in order to justify irreverence.

Elves have always creeped me out, so if anything this just validates my distaste.

Depends on the depiction, but I was always more of an elf fan when I was younger. I find I agree more with humans and dwarves though as I get older. Aloth is an exception, he's woke.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think the giraffe elf is attractive personally. I always saw elves being slender, taller than humans like the LoTR style elven race. I think it goes well with her personality. I always hated Santa's short troll-like elves though.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2443 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I think the giraffe elf is attractive personally. I always saw elves being slender, taller than humans like the LoTR style elven race. I think it goes well with her personality. I always hated Santa's short troll-like elves though.

1vtawb.jpg

• SadExchange, Gorgon, aluminiumtrioxid and 3 others like this

Eumaios

Eumaios

(3) Conjurer

• Validating
  • 121 posts

That was pretty funny, although I'm with SonicMage117.  I want me some elf lovin'.  Not necessarily the scary giraffe necked elves, but... ya know... Arwen or some other elvish hottie.  I also agree about the Santa elves.  If anything, I find *them* scary.  well... any tiny magical being, really.  Keebler elves.  Leprachauns.  pixies.  My mother in law.

• SonicMage117 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users