D:OS II

Nail

These Origin Stories vids look very pompous and remarkably silly, with the ball-jointed mannequin-like animation hardly helping. I haven't played the first Divinity or seen much of the second, but are these at all representative of the game's overall tone? Might just skip them.

Yep, that is definitely the tone of Larian games. If you don't like silliness and tongue in cheek humor, it is not a good fit for you.

Honestly, if you don't chuckle when you hear the name DIVINE DIVINITY, you really aren't in the target audience.

I don't mind either but I don't see what in these videos indicates to that silliness being deliberate, or self-aware. To me it's just, well... Bad. But if you say the games are more self-aware and tongue-in-cheek humorous, I guess I'll try them out.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Do not like the neckbeast elves at all

I don't remember them being like that in Dragon Commander but maybe I'm misremembering

Those were different elves. <.< >.>

Hell, given how seemingly disconnected all the different games are from each other if you only played certain entries in the series you'd be forgiven for thinking there weren't any elves or dwarves in the universe.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Yeah, Larian is all about sarcasm, humor and sillyness. They take certain RPG concepts and flip thrm on their head. Let's see if I can give an example... Hmmm. Romances! While the first D:OS doesn't allow players to romance two humans, you can help 2 cats fall in love lol

It doesn't break the fourth wall but it gets pretty close. It kinda goes the way of Saints Row of rpg's.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

These Origin Stories vids look very pompous and remarkably silly, with the ball-jointed mannequin-like animation hardly helping. I haven't played the first Divinity or seen much of the second, but are these at all representative of the game's overall tone? Might just skip them.

Yep, that is definitely the tone of Larian games. If you don't like silliness and tongue in cheek humor, it is not a good fit for you.

Honestly, if you don't chuckle when you hear the name DIVINE DIVINITY, you really aren't in the target audience.

Or "Source-erers," for that matter.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I don't mind either but I don't see what in these videos indicates to that silliness being deliberate, or self-aware. To me it's just, well... Bad. But if you say the games are more self-aware and tongue-in-cheek humorous, I guess I'll try them out.

Well, it's very subjective. I've played all of their games and I've found all of their humour awful, but it certainly is deliberate and self-aware. 

• Like 1

Whats the Saving and Resting limitations?

This.  I've had some extra time lately and I'm a little tired of chess and Mordheim at the moment.  I wouldn't mind trying DOS (makes me think cd \PoR), but I want a funny game where I can kick ass and name names.  I don't mind the battles being hard, but I've grown weary of games that get cutesy with resting and saving.

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

I like humor, but I'm not Larian's type of humor. I love stuff like Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Portal 2, The Stanely Parable, Destroy All Humans, Monkey Island. Can't pinpoint the exact quality that sets them apart, but I don't really find silliness or snarkiness to be inherently funny. It needs to demonstrate what it's perspective in order to justify irreverence.

Elves have always creeped me out, so if anything this just validates my distaste.

Depends on the depiction, but I was always more of an elf fan when I was younger. I find I agree more with humans and dwarves though as I get older. Aloth is an exception, he's woke.

I think the giraffe elf is attractive personally. I always saw elves being slender, taller than humans like the LoTR style elven race. I think it goes well with her personality. I always hated Santa's short troll-like elves though.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

That was pretty funny, although I'm with SonicMage117.  I want me some elf lovin'.  Not necessarily the scary giraffe necked elves, but... ya know... Arwen or some other elvish hottie.  I also agree about the Santa elves.  If anything, I find *them* scary.  well... any tiny magical being, really.  Keebler elves.  Leprachauns.  pixies.  My mother in law.

• Like 1

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10753

Some description of Swen playing through the game at Gamescom and showing off some of the weirder things you can do. It's like somebody wrote an imaginary article about the ultimate RPG, but it's coming out tomorrow. It's amazing.

" To use the mask, you first have to use an item called the faceripper, which allows you to rip faces off any NPC in the game, as long as they’re dead. Swen uses it on the dwarven woman he'd just killed, and a ripped dwarven face appears in his inventory. By using it with a source orb, he crafts a mask of the dwarf, which he promptly equips. It magically changes the appearance of the undead Fane into that of a living dwarf, allowing him to walk through cities undisturbed."

• Like 5

LOL!

I've seen a few super short/petite men & women in my lifetime, they do look like Keebler elves! Poor things hahaha

I've been playing this solo as an undead elf (because I needed a corpse eater for plot reasons and an undead for... well also plot reasons but I didn't want to hire Sebille or Fane because I like Ifan, Lohse and Beast more) and also been playing co-op with one of my friends as Lohse (he's playing as an elf) and thoroughly enjoying both experiences.

Also undead make the best lockpickers.

• Like 1

The game is good.   :)

Too expensive though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, the original was great. I haven't played this one yet but can only imagine that this one is just as good or not better.

I'm hoping they make another Ego Draconis next, that game was rpg perfection.