More Voice acting in POE2

The lack of Jim Cummings, Cam Clarke and Jason Marsden really made this feel like a Kickstarter game.

Obsidian please try get Jim Cummings to do some VO!!!

Who?

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

The lack of Jim Cummings, Cam Clarke and Jason Marsden really made this feel like a Kickstarter game.

Obsidian please try get Jim Cummings to do some VO!!!

Who?

Dunno if you're joking but... Voice of Gorion and Minsc, amongst many other various.

Also Winnie the Pooh, Pete from different Mickey Mouse/Goofy shows and that.

Voice acting legend.

• Like 1

nowt

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=258#updates

$2.4m Stretch Goal - Double the V.O.

My first thought when I saw that stretchgoal was "what?"  A large portion of the community would prefer the same amount of VO and second or third pass editing rather than dialogue locked in by an expensive VO budget.  I know I would.  But then again, their stretchgoals felt like stuff they were already planning to implement until halfway through the campaign people really started complaining about boring stretchgoals.

Edited by anameforobsidian
  • Like 1

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=258#updates

$2.4m Stretch Goal - Double the V.O.

My first thought when I saw that stretchgoal was "what?"  A large portion of the community would prefer the same amount of VO and second or third pass editing rather than dialogue locked in by an expensive VO budget.  I know I would.  But then again, their stretchgoals felt like stuff they were already planning to implement until halfway through the campaign people really started complaining about boring stretchgoals.

Well all that meant was double the budget, with no specific details as of then figured out.

No, thanks. If they had infinite money, sure, but it shouldn't be a very high priority.

I'm honestly not sure how Larian did it, but they can probably get away with paying voice actors a lot less than Obsidian can. Actors in California are expensive.

They should hire more Brits. People like Stephen Fry have lent their voice for either a very tiny sum or none at all in the past (see Benjamin Sniddlegrass and the Cauldron of Penguins as an example).

Yes, there were too many American voices in Pillars. I think maybe every voice was American?

It's kind of off putting in this kind of setting.

I know it's a bit of a cliché now having everyone sound English but it suits it.

nowt

Given the sort of post-colonial setting of Pillars, I really appreciated getting away from British accents. Maybe they could hire some Kiwis instead. Plus I really liked the Goidelic accents, which I felt were far better fitting. So maybe we could get some Cornish thrown in too. Portuguese is also underused and they really dominated to early age of sail. The brits fit better for Aedyrian characters, but we don't necessarily need a ton of those.

• Like 1

The one thing that I really want them to do is voice the narration for the voiced sections. Get the person who does the start and end of act readings to do it. It's really jarring to have someone speak, then have unread narration, then have them speak another line.

This mixing of unrecorded narration and voiced spoken text will not take place in Deadfire. OBsidian is aware of the issue.

• Like 1

They should hire more Brits. People like Stephen Fry have lent their voice for either a very tiny sum or none at all in the past (see Benjamin Sniddlegrass and the Cauldron of Penguins as an example).

Yes, there were too many American voices in Pillars. I think maybe every voice was American?

It's kind of off putting in this kind of setting.

I know it's a bit of a cliché now having everyone sound English but it suits it.

Nah, this something the game did right. English accents in a colonial setting would be weird.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I also think the voices are just... kinda subpar for the most part. I'm replaying Mask of the Betrayer at the moment and the voiceacting in it is just on a completely different level.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Yeah, just to make sure, I wasn't saying they should hire British talent because of accents - I mean, I wouldn't mind British accents either but in this regard I wouldn't put it past British voice actors being able to deliver a perfectly decent American/neutral accent either. My comment was meant more in jest, but it's true that usually they are cheaper and just as good or even better to the American alternative - that's all. I will say however that some accents did strike me very odd, mostly because they felt pretty region-specific and 'modern', even for a post-colonial setting. It all adds to the general feeling of amateurishness I got from some of the work in the first Pillars, like the actor in question was performing with the only accent they knew. This doesn't necessarily reflect on the behind-the-scenes reality, mind.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I will say however that some accents did strike me very odd, mostly because they felt pretty region-specific and 'modern', even for a post-colonial setting. It all adds to the general feeling of amateurishness I got from some of the work in the first Pillars, like the actor in question was performing with the only accent they knew. This doesn't necessarily reflect on the behind-the-scenes reality, mind.

Agreed. The devil and maneha were so jarring to me i could never stand having them around. Sagani was almost as bad. Didn't like eder that much either. Modern american accents don't feel very "colonial" to me.

• Like 1

I will say however that some accents did strike me very odd, mostly because they felt pretty region-specific and 'modern', even for a post-colonial setting. It all adds to the general feeling of amateurishness I got from some of the work in the first Pillars, like the actor in question was performing with the only accent they knew. This doesn't necessarily reflect on the behind-the-scenes reality, mind.

Agreed. The devil and maneha were so jarring to me i could never stand having them around. Sagani was almost as bad. Didn't like eder that much either. Modern american accents don't feel very "colonial" to me.

Neither Sagani nor Edér bothered me much personally but I can definitely agree with the Devil and Maneha. In general though, I think these two characters were all over the place in terms of tone and writing, so that it could be that either factor had more influence on my perception of the performances than the accent itself - still, I would agree that they jarred with me.

• Like 1

Maneha was just THE worst character in the game and her voice didn't help any. Devi just boring, and her voice is boring, her design is boring, her quest is boring and railroadi.... God i hope new guys will be better.
But Sagani and Edér? Really? I love them both and they have great lines and voices. Well i guess always nice to see someone else's point of view, never would have thought you can compare them to Maneha

• Like 2

I actually liked Devil's voice acting. I think the only one of the companions whose VAing I didn't like was Maneha.

The American accent thing didn't bother me at all. In fact, as a Brit, I often find the use of British voice actors jarring, particularly when they have regional accents as it attaches lots of baggage to the voice I can't shake off.

• Like 2

Maneha's my gal pal. It's Hiravias that I've never played his storyline and only heard his dialogue a couple times which qualifies me to say he's the worst character in the game without doubt.

Well, it's a matter of opinion really, but to me Hiravias was easily one of the best companions in the game, alongside Sagani and Edér. His perspective and personality were interesting, his quest was engaging, and he provided some of the best comic relief in the game without reducing him to just a "comic relief" character. I would go as far as saying he, as Wael in some ways, is deliberately designed to obfuscate through his eccentricities one of the most sensible points of view in any of the characters in the game (I mean his, not others'). That makes him a pretty layered and compelling individual.

• Like 3