Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Okay so Here is What Actually happened with Obsidian Writer that "Resigned"

Writer Writing Story

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

algroth

algroth

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1124 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Ian Miles Cheong, lol.

Anyhow, I've read the comments, and no, they were not just 'conservative opinions'. Many of the 'opinions' expressed were scathingly racist, sexist, xenophobic and slanderous. Moreover, they were expressed on a public forum. If Obsidian did encourage the writer to resign because they didn't want to deal with having those comments linked to their company and their employees, that is entirely within their rights and not the injustice you lot wish to spin it as. It's his fault for not being more careful of the things he expressed in a public medium.

Secondly, the whole idea that this would lead to a game sanitized of controversial themes is frankly a misunderstanding of how any narrative artform works. Characters and even narrators in a narrative medium *do not* usually speak for the author. An author is perfectly capable of creating a racist, sexist, xenophobic, zealous character without sympathizing with those opinions. Do you think that the writers that scripted the possibility for the player to embrace Woedica are zealots? As Sawyer has said in a recent interview, racism against orlans will not magically go away and it is bound to be included *even as a trait for one of your companions*, namely Edér. There is no slippery slope here (and mind that the "slippery slope" isn't called a fallacy for no reason).

Thirdly, this thread was already closed once, why is it even allowed to be open again? Were I a mod I would have closed it immediately as this would go against moderator action. Lock this backwards nonsense, please.

For the record I do think the whole limerick business was blown way out of proportion, I think the joke was widely misunderstood but it was certainly more open to personal interpretation and so on. Less so this case, which is pretty straightforward and in which the context has also been provided to make for the tone and intention.

• Leferd, limaxophobiacq, Osvir and 7 others like this

algroth

algroth

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1124 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

SJW ruin everything.

Same as trolls and clickbaits.

I don't see people losing their jobs over internet trolls.

A friend of mine who worked on CNN got in a bad fight with an internet troll, who proceeded to doxx him and send him hookers and the likes at his work place. Yes, this did eventually cost him his job.

• Messier-31 and HooAmEye like this

Valmy

Valmy

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 953 posts
  • Steam:valmy77
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I was about to say. Trolls on the internet get people fired all the time.

• kierun, Messier-31 and HooAmEye like this

grumpymoose

grumpymoose

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't know if someone was fired or lost their job over words and thoughts that were unpopular and/or offensive in this case, or if he left for other reasons. I won't pretend to know. I do know I despise people that go after peoples livelihoods, as if a person's income is some play thing for their amusement. It's a rather sickening concept, and I hope that's not what occurred here.

With any luck the person in question, and the people at Obsidian, are okay. I wish everyone only the best.

• redneckdevil, Valmy, algroth and 2 others like this

Celeras

Celeras

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Steam:Cel90
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Jesus. These SJW **** are so spiteful. Even if the comments in question were somehow controversial in any way, (they are only to the most sensitive, over reactive individuals) it should have nothing to do with his job. This is BS.

Edited by Celeras, 07 September 2017 - 07:39 AM.

• Androoh, Yokoshima, dragubaba and 2 others like this

lautasantenni

lautasantenni

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

I hope Obsidian recognize the fact that these people are not their customers, fans and/or people who respect them. Heck, SJWs take pride in the fact they don't support the "dirty gaming industry".(not including candy crush)

• Yokoshima likes this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4929 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I hope Obsidian recognize the fact that these people are not their customers, fans and/or people who respect them. Heck, SJWs take pride in the fact they don't support the "dirty gaming industry".(not including candy crush)

At this time there's been no indication in any of the links that Obsidian ever got involved, that I can see.

• IndiraLightfoot, Greensleeve, kierun and 4 others like this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3209 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

At this time there's been no indication in any of the links that Obsidian ever got involved, that I can see.

Indeed. At the moment there's an awful lot of jumping to conclusions. That's all really.

• IndiraLightfoot and algroth like this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5076 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Indeed. At the moment there's an awful lot of jumping to conclusions. That's all really.

And with that said, please lock this thread, dearest moderators.

CaesarCzech

CaesarCzech

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 71 posts

Ian Miles Cheong, lol.

Anyhow, I've read the comments, and no, they were not just 'conservative opinions'. Many of the 'opinions' expressed were scathingly racist, sexist, xenophobic and slanderous. Moreover, they were expressed on a public forum. If Obsidian did encourage the writer to resign because they didn't want to deal with having those comments linked to their company and their employees, that is entirely within their rights and not the injustice you lot wish to spin it as. It's his fault for not being more careful of the things he expressed in a public medium.

Secondly, the whole idea that this would lead to a game sanitized of controversial themes is frankly a misunderstanding of how any narrative artform works. Characters and even narrators in a narrative medium *do not* usually speak for the author. An author is perfectly capable of creating a racist, sexist, xenophobic, zealous character without sympathizing with those opinions. Do you think that the writers that scripted the possibility for the player to embrace Woedica are zealots? As Sawyer has said in a recent interview, racism against orlans will not magically go away and it is bound to be included *even as a trait for one of your companions*, namely Edér. There is no slippery slope here (and mind that the "slippery slope" isn't called a fallacy for no reason).

Thirdly, this thread was already closed once, why is it even allowed to be open again? Were I a mod I would have closed it immediately as this would go against moderator action. Lock this backwards nonsense, please.

For the record I do think the whole limerick business was blown way out of proportion, I think the joke was widely misunderstood but it was certainly more open to personal interpretation and so on. Less so this case, which is pretty straightforward and in which the context has also been provided to make for the tone and intention.

So According to you Ghazi did nothing wrong ? What  opinions were "scathingly racist, sexist, xenophobic and slanderous".

Tell me.

• Yokoshima likes this

CaesarCzech

CaesarCzech

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 71 posts

And with that said, please lock this thread, dearest moderators.

You know  this makes you look bit desperate to avoid backslash.   I think it be better for there to be one thread  than let it spill out. which would honestly  happen if it were percieved people were censoring discusion.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4929 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Please discuss the issues, not each other.  Sniping at one another will lead to the closure of this thread.

• kierun likes this

algroth

algroth

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1124 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Ian Miles Cheong, lol.

So According to you Ghazi did nothing wrong ? What  opinions were "scathingly racist, sexist, xenophobic and slanderous".

Tell me.

"I will continue to 'mix' it up until one of their boyfriends jacks me with a pipe." (re: black women)

I don't see how this is not slanderous, racist and sexist, for one. The assumption that black women are inherently adulterous aside, the attention given to interracial sexual relations here or in other comments like the proposition to ban unmarried Muslim men from entering the EU really speak for themselves. The fear of the loss of Western ideals before the exposure to other cultures, as well as the implied notion of keeping a 'pure white race' alive was already old-hat by the time Lovecraft was basing horror stories around it a century ago.

Also I never spoke of Ghazi. Do I think they did nothing wrong? Of course not, they're trash. But I won't assume that the comments made were any less derogatory and as has been addressed by me and several others before me, you are jumping to far-fetched and unfounded conclusions because of it.

Edited by algroth, 07 September 2017 - 09:17 AM.

• Belle Sorciere and HooAmEye like this

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1920 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

So at least this time you got the person resigning right. I don't think Obsidian will be scratching everything he wrote for the game and at this point of development, is there even much they will add to the game? it's nearing alpha/beta stage, so I don't think they will be doing massive amounts of writing for the game.

Couldn't care less about SJW's or the equally retarded people who are strictly opposed to them and see them as the end of the world. The very idiotic fight about a limerick was enough and got blown out of proportion by both parties.

It's not the 1950's when you could just talk **** about everyone and only your neighbour would know what an ***hat you are. When you post stuff online in a public forum for everyone to see and read, you will risk your livelyhood if you want to work in certain careers. Is it completely fair? Probably not, but then again most companies care about their public image enough to react if they find you posting rasistic, homophobic or otherwise hateful material online.

• JerekKruger, algroth and HooAmEye like this

algroth

algroth

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1124 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

So at least this time you got the person resigning right. I don't think Obsidian will be scratching everything he wrote for the game and at this point of development, is there even much they will add to the game? it's nearing alpha/beta stage, so I don't think they will be doing massive amounts of writing for the game.

Couldn't care less about SJW's or the equally retarded people who are strictly opposed to them and see them as the end of the world. The very idiotic fight about a limerick was enough and got blown out of proportion by both parties.

It's not the 1950's when you could just talk **** about everyone and only your neighbour would know what an ***hat you are. When you post stuff online in a public forum for everyone to see and read, you will risk your livelyhood if you want to work in certain careers. Is it completely fair? Probably not, but then again most companies care about their public image enough to react if they find you posting rasistic, homophobic or otherwise hateful material online.

^This, exactly.

Belle Sorciere

Belle Sorciere

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So like I'm sure you'd call me an SJW (with all the misunderstanding applying that label entails) and I've been around since Black Isle. I'm not unique.

Not that there's any indication that anyone pressured Obsidian to fire the guy, or that Obsidian pressured the guy to quit.

Edited by Belle Sorciere, 07 September 2017 - 09:19 AM.

• aluminiumtrioxid, HooAmEye, konpeki and 1 other like this

HooAmEye

HooAmEye

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

"I will continue to 'mix' it up until one of their boyfriends jacks me with a pipe." (re: black women)

I don't see how this is not slanderous, racist and sexist, for one. The assumption that black women are inherently adulterous aside, the attention given to interracial sexual relations here or in other comments like the proposition to ban unmarried Muslim men from entering the EU really speak for themselves. The fear of the loss of Western ideals before the exposure to other cultures, as well as the implied notion of keeping a 'pure white race' alive was already old-hat by the time Lovecraft was basing horror stories around it a century ago.

Also I never spoke of Ghazi. Do I think they did nothing wrong? Of course not, they're trash. But I won't assume that the comments made were any less derogatory and as has been addressed by me and several others before me, you are jumping to far-fetched and unfounded conclusions because of it.

One of my favorite Lovecraft facts is that toward the end of his life he stated that the opinions of his younger self were incredibly foolish, misguided, and obnoxious. Aka, the biggest racist of fiction in the last century thought he was being an idiot when espousing those views.

• redneckdevil and algroth like this

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2893 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Reddit should be nuked and clickbait along with it.

PugPug

PugPug

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Wait, what was controversial about Raedric's Hold?

His comments were bad, but not that bad. Annoying but not worth trying to out him. Have you ever been fired? It sucks hard. You never really get over it. At least he was only freelance.

But if Obsidian ousted him it's because they don't want it going viral and toxic, not because they want a bland, safe story.

CaesarCzech

CaesarCzech

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 71 posts

Please discuss the issues, not each other.  Sniping at one another will lead to the closure of this thread.

Understood im just afraid that might be goal of some posters.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Writer, Writing, Story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users