Okay so Here is What Actually happened with Obsidian Writer that "Resigned"

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/06/game-writer-resigns-after-social-justice-warriors-crucify-him-for-conservative-opinions/

Honestly while these are not Opinions  I'd endorse,  It doesnt seem to me, That this should have blown up as it has. I'm seriously afraid of what might happen/ Will the situation repeat another time with less  controversial remarks because of the slippery  slope of Appeasment ?

Will it impact the story ? because if this company encouraged the writer to resign because of this, It could signal that Obsidian will shy away from the deep writing   and avoid Philosophical questions and other things that could be  considered remotely controversial, and That could make it significantly harder to create Great Game like the KOTOR 2.

I dont even know If Raedric Hold would make it into the game. If PoE 1 were made today,

The Atmosphere certainly changed with certain  segment of population believing that Art should not be sorely for Art but for the message and for the influence of said message to "guide" the society.

I think there could be Worthwhile discusion of both this case,what it might signal and in general  the direction obsidian  might be taking in terms of story, storytelling and ultimately Narrative.

Edited by CaesarCzech
  • Like 2

I have no idea what you're on about mate. Try proof read your messages before you post them.

I don't want to be a grammar Nazi or whatever but come on, how can you get everything so wrong!

Edited by daven

nowt

I have no idea what you're on about mate. Try proof read your messages before you post them.

I don't want to be a grammar Nazi or whatever but come on, how can you get everything so wrong!

English is not my first language. I will try to run it throught spell checker and edit it.

Sigh... did this really need to be resurrected? Other than giving the name of the writer in question, this article doesn't add anything to what we knew in the thread from yesterday. In particular it doesn't say anything about Obsidian pressuring him to resign*.

*Even if it did I would be suspicious, given the source.

• Like 1

Is there a point to all this, apart from recooking old controversies?

i wanted to discuss what this could mean moving forward, It can mean Obsidian will be working very hard to avoid anything controversial,  Tiptoing around  and that could impact the quality of the writing and story,   For example the Raedric hold in PoE 1.

Hell the whole Religion thing in PoE 1.

Sigh... did this really need to be resurrected? Other than giving the name of the writer in question, this article doesn't add anything to what we knew in the thread from yesterday. In particular it doesn't say anything about Obsidian pressuring him to resign*.

*Even if it did I would be suspicious, given the source.

I saw post previously by the writer himself on RpgCodex that he was preassured but cant find him.

Also Im more interested in impact of this controversy moving forward and If this doesnt signal  worse quality of story and storyline  We all know PoE 1 had some stuff That could offend people. I for one would not want Obsidian to change Thaos or the Gods plotline because it might be controversial.  I dont want public perception to degrade the quality of writing by essentially chaining the writers imagination.

i wanted to discuss what this could mean moving forward, It can mean Obsidian will be working very hard to avoid anything controversial,  Tiptoing around  and that could impact the quality of the writing and story,   For example the Raedric hold in PoE 1.

Seeing how Deadfire begins with a god literally eating our protagonist's soul, I'd say your concerns are entirely groundless. A single person distancing themselves from the company because they said stupid **** on the Internet does not indicate anything. You're just trying to drum up outrage.

• Like 5

It is the End Times in the Cultural Ragnorak!!!!!!

Unfortunately this will just embolden people looking to be outraged to look further into everything. The creative direction of this and other games will be dictated through fear and terror by people who probably won't even be buying the game. At least they have not resorted to violence yet.

On a similar topic - Why would anyone ever use any form of social media? Anything you post, like, friend, follow or allow someone else to post on your site will be used against you. Voice an opinion and lose your job, like a post and you can be charged with a hate crime (at least in Germany).

Seeing how Deadfire begins with a god literally eating our protagonist's soul, I'd say your concerns are entirely groundless. A single person distancing themselves from the company because they said stupid **** on the Internet does not indicate anything. You're just trying to drum up outrage.

I never said that obsidian Will suddenly become EA because of this.  Small steps. Im worrying about this being start of the slippery slope

• Like 1

I never said that obsidian Will suddenly become EA because of this.  Small steps. Im worrying about this being start of the slippery slope

I don't think Obsidian releasing unfinished games and screwing us over with microtransactions is likely, no.

• Like 1

Dude, stop flapping. This is so pointless, it's not even worth talking about.

• Like 3

nowt

This topic has already been locked once because it went off-topic into personal sniping as well as misidentifying the person in question who resigned.

Please keep to the topic and keep to the facts as it relates to Deadfire.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

My take aways from all this:

This should have been the first thread, not the second.

This thread is only compelling in light of the false premise of the first.

The new premise is begging questions and concerns which is not compelling.

Threads should be compelling.

"It doesnt seem to me, That this should have blown up as it has."

I agree, so why did you help it so? But that is a rhetorical question.

That is a nice narrative about 'GamerGhazi' and the like but I don't see any evidence Obsidian forced him out nor do I see how it connects to the writing in the games themselves. So far Obsidian has never changed their work in response to these sorts of pressures.

There is no outrage or controversy or 'blowing up' that I can see outside of a few threads on this board.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 3

Ian Miles Cheong, lol.

Anyhow, I've read the comments, and no, they were not just 'conservative opinions'. Many of the 'opinions' expressed were scathingly racist, sexist, xenophobic and slanderous. Moreover, they were expressed on a public forum. If Obsidian did encourage the writer to resign because they didn't want to deal with having those comments linked to their company and their employees, that is entirely within their rights and not the injustice you lot wish to spin it as. It's his fault for not being more careful of the things he expressed in a public medium.

Secondly, the whole idea that this would lead to a game sanitized of controversial themes is frankly a misunderstanding of how any narrative artform works. Characters and even narrators in a narrative medium *do not* usually speak for the author. An author is perfectly capable of creating a racist, sexist, xenophobic, zealous character without sympathizing with those opinions. Do you think that the writers that scripted the possibility for the player to embrace Woedica are zealots? As Sawyer has said in a recent interview, racism against orlans will not magically go away and it is bound to be included *even as a trait for one of your companions*, namely Edér. There is no slippery slope here (and mind that the "slippery slope" isn't called a fallacy for no reason).

Thirdly, this thread was already closed once, why is it even allowed to be open again? Were I a mod I would have closed it immediately as this would go against moderator action. Lock this backwards nonsense, please.

For the record I do think the whole limerick business was blown way out of proportion, I think the joke was widely misunderstood but it was certainly more open to personal interpretation and so on. Less so this case, which is pretty straightforward and in which the context has also been provided to make for the tone and intention.

• Like 10

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

SJW ruin everything.

Same as trolls and clickbaits.

I don't see people losing their jobs over internet trolls.

A friend of mine who worked on CNN got in a bad fight with an internet troll, who proceeded to doxx him and send him hookers and the likes at his work place. Yes, this did eventually cost him his job.

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I don't know if someone was fired or lost their job over words and thoughts that were unpopular and/or offensive in this case, or if he left for other reasons. I won't pretend to know. I do know I despise people that go after peoples livelihoods, as if a person's income is some play thing for their amusement. It's a rather sickening concept, and I hope that's not what occurred here.

With any luck the person in question, and the people at Obsidian, are okay. I wish everyone only the best.

• Like 5

I cannot forget the follies and vices of others so soon as I ought, nor their offenses against myself.

My feelings are not puffed about with every attempt to move them. My temper would

perhaps be called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever.”

- Pride and Prejudice

Jesus. These SJW **** are so spiteful. Even if the comments in question were somehow controversial in any way, (they are only to the most sensitive, over reactive individuals) it should have nothing to do with his job. This is BS.

Edited by Celeras
  • Like 5