Why aren't there...questions about specific RPG classes

Orogun01

ITT we ask questions about RPG classes or multiclasses that challenge our established perception of said classes. Preferred format would be the question, followed by supporting arguments and finalized by conclusion

To start with:

Why aren't there more bodybuilding healers?

It seems that a class that specializes in recovery could use spells to shorten the rest time, heal damaged tissue and ameliorate any of the dangers of lifting heavy. Alternatively alchemy could also be used to mirror real life substances that bodybuilders use and even others that surpass what exists.
With that in mind, I wonder why haven't more fantasy healers/alchemist taken up bodybuilding and strength training to better enhance their fighting skills?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Because Healers need to do starting strength and gomad.

Why are Mages in D&D and similar games almost always less combat proficient than Priests in terms of hitting, taking hits?

I don't see how reading books all day somehow makes you worse at fighting than learning prayers and whatever else Priests do barring Priests of war gods and ****. Mechanically Priests seem to have similar spell progression and spell power as well so it's not like they're lacking there and need to make up for it by being better with weapons.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Uh... that's a creative question. In most RPG settings, I don't think their grasp of human biology (or the science of bodybuilding) is that great, but I assume that the local village healer/priest will help you out if you injury yourself while training. 

Now, how about mages? You'd think people would be hiring them for magical solutions to all their problems. Could a mage curse away a person's acne for example? 

Because Healers need to do starting strength and gomad.

Why are Mages in D&D and similar games almost always less combat proficient than Priests in terms of hitting, taking hits?

I don't see how reading books all day somehow makes you worse at fighting than learning prayers and whatever else Priests do barring Priests of war gods and ****. Mechanically Priests seem to have similar spell progression and spell power as well so it's not like they're lacking there and need to make up for it by being better with weapons.

Maybe it has something to do with RL priest and flagellation, something along the lines of the power of faith and conviction increasing damage resistance. Like  their God protecting them, granting them DR.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Why aren't their more "Eastern Wizards?" Eastern arts are almost always represented with monks.

well, this one is kinda easy.  the eastern bathrobe wearing wizard is so similar to the western bathrobe bedecked wizard, there don't need to be an additional class. robe made o' silk instead o' wool? shorter beard? longer finger nails? both east and west wizards cast spells and is enigmatic and is weird.

*shrug*

alternatively, the "need" for a samurai or ninja class when a game such as post 3e d&d already allows for rogues and fighters or cavaliers to adequate build ninjas or samurai is questionable at best. for some inexplicable reason, eastern variants is somehow kewler and need their own class... and eventual get their own class.  is the same eastern is mysterious weirdness which breeds all kinda katana myth and nonsense?  dunno.

monks on the other hand, is kinda silly as an adventuring class.  most monks, eastern or western is gonna be ordinary little guys who meditate (through prayer, toil or whatever) and make whatever is the local equivalents o' beer, wine and cheese, but more important is the fundamental attribute o' being a monk, west or east. the word monk includes the inherent quality o' being monastic, which is kinda the opposite o' the adventurer lifestyle. poe monks is kinda nice as one need not be extreme limited eastern shaolin monk, but monk is terrible naming for a crpg class which focuses 'pon adventuring... and y'know, leaving the abbey/monastery.

HA! Good Fun!

ps classes suck.  instead, aim for an open and flexible classless system which allows the player to build their own ninja, wizard, monk, witch, combat friar or whatever, and such questions become moot.  

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

ps classes suck.  instead, aim for an open and flexible classless system which allows the player to build their own ninja, wizard, monk, witch, combat friar or whatever, and such questions become moot.

My job title doesn't describe what I do but I can't do away with it, I guess it helps others know what my function and qualifications are. I can just image the hassle of trying to interview an adventurer who doesn't want to tell you their class.

• Like 2

village_idiot.gif

Gromnir, you have given this one a thought. Take the crpg formula, go fully classless, and instead start to craft a far richer background mechanic which would augment and modify class mechanics with respect to in-game lore and culture. Perhaps backgrounds provide foundations from which to grow out of as you explore the world and come into contact with other skills. Much how path of exile you can work you're way across the skill map. Though I'm not specifically recommending a skill map for pillars, the thrust of the idea is there. It could be somewhat internal and affected back you're background. Intuitively I'd imagine this would be more expensive, regardless it seems like such an design would be the next evolutionary iteration for the medium.

ITT we ask questions about RPG classes or multiclasses that challenge our established perception of said classes. Preferred format would be the question, followed by supporting arguments and finalized by conclusion

To start with:

Why aren't there more bodybuilding healers?

It seems that a class that specializes in recovery could use spells to shorten the rest time, heal damaged tissue and ameliorate any of the dangers of lifting heavy. Alternatively alchemy could also be used to mirror real life substances that bodybuilders use and even others that surpass what exists.

With that in mind, I wonder why haven't more fantasy healers/alchemist taken up bodybuilding and strength training to better enhance their fighting skills?

Are we talking about a class based game or a non class based game?

Tbh u can do a strong healer, but it's not classes that restrict u, it's the limited resources in creating said character.

In a class system, I'll use Pathfinder for an example. Cleric is ur answer. But let's say there wasn't a Cleric and instead we had a clothy priest instead. Ok so have him focus on str/con/wisdom as main stats and of course put points into heal. Reason why most do not is because there's a limited amount of attributes and skill points and when dealing with what classes can and cannot do well lies with attribute and skill points. U wanna be really good at something (and usually the game is designed around players playing a "role") u have to invest. If u do not invest, u will be sub par.

For classless system, I'll use shadowruns as example. Was gonna use fallout, but fallout doesn't have the balance breaker known as magic (unless u count speech lol). In shadowruns, again limited resources. Body builder healer, u can most definitely, but because abilities/skills are tied to attributes, because healing is more "mental" than physical, splitting ur attribute between them will set the cap of physical and mental abilities lower than a full on healer who's basically focusing in mental to become a great healer.

Imho as a GM and as a player, wanting a classless system in a class system is to be blunt, wanting power without the downsides of having said power. Classless systems that does away with pros/cons are usually either "lower power levels" all around compared to class systems, OR become a cakewalk or impossible for player. What I mean is, when developing a game there's a ceiling for power that player character can achieve. So if u design near that ceiling, someone who over extends will usually not be able to reach or overcome, while if u design much lower than ceiling, then game becomes easy and/or boring for those who are at the power cap or above.

Tldr, it's complex and usually a reason why it's viable or not depending on how whatever rules the game ur playing.

Is this the intended forum for this thread...?

Well, technically, it's not necessarily video game-specific, but it's also not P&P-specific. :p

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well I know its not specific, but just wanted to make sure it was intended to be here (okay if it was).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

My job title doesn't describe what I do but I can't do away with it, I guess it helps others know what my function and qualifications are. I can just image the hassle of trying to interview an adventurer who doesn't want to tell you their class.

am not thinking it would be difficult at all to interview w/o having a title.  have a job opening which asks for a person with scouting and surveillance skills.  second story and alarm/lock disabling much preferred.

person shows up for interview and you ask what is their job qualifications.

grobnar won't tell you his class, bastard.  what to do? 'corse w/o mentioning a class, he informs you he is good with a lute, but less so with melee weapons. no wall climbing or lock picking skills does grobnar have, but he is quite adept at identification and appraisal o' phat loots. his musical performances inspire confidence and competence in his allies as well as dread and clumsiness in foes. he's quick with a joke or to light up your smoke, but there's someplace that he'd rather be... wait a sec, that is from piano man.  oh well.  point is, is gonna take a minute or so, at most, to figure out if the individual applying for the job at least claims to have the skills needed. 

you have not provided a real need or identified a genuine hurdle.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Job titles anymore are just job descriptions that needed to be filled at the moment of hire. After a year very few people are performing their job title.

Organizing information in small packets makes it easier to disseminate and communicate. Saying you're a priest is way easier than explaining that you have devoted your life to the service of a god. The only instances where one would try to hide their occupation and engage in long winded descriptions would be when they are trying to hide it because of its negative connotations. EG: Catholic Priest

On a different note, why don't bards travel as band? It is certainly more inspiring to hear a full band rather than one guy with a cowbell yelling "Go team"

• Like 1

village_idiot.gif