How do I deal with Spore Confusion/Domination spam?

Holy mackerel! I just fought Glasdial (the big Spore from the 2nd set of Bounties), and it was by far the most difficult fight I had. I ran out of Suppress Affliction and Liberating Exhortation casts very quickly, and I had 2-3 guys turning against me half the fight. I thought I was going to have to scum save for the first time in this playthrough, but thankfully I somehow won with only 1 death.

But for future purposes, how do you counter that spam? I don't think Suppress Affliction and Liberating Exhortation are nearly enough, because Spores can mass spam until you run out of casts. Are there Confusion/Domination Immune items or talents? My front-liners had nearly 100 Will at level 10, and that obviously seemed to do nothing.

I am frustrated and stumped. I thought the game was getting super-easy with the builds and tactics I've read here, and I was ready to up my difficulty. But wham bam.

Priest has Prayer against Treachery. There's also a flail (Forgotten Tears of the Beloved) who has this as a spellbinding.

Glasdial is a troll actually. The spores are just his ads. ;)

He went down very quickly - as did the others. It was the damn Spores who took forever, since my guys kept getting Confused or Dominated and kept hitting each other on the way to them :(

Liberating Exhortation also removed it. A Goldpact Knight with their upgraded version of Liberating makes allies immune for 20 sec. If you have a Paladin with Aegis of Loyalty and Sacred Immolation it will make those fights a joke. Alsa priest with prayer against treachery.

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Liberating Exhortation also removed it. A Goldpact Knight with their upgraded version of Liberating makes allies immune for 20 sec. If you have a Paladin with Aegis of Loyalty and Sacred Immolation it will make those fights a joke. Alsa priest with prayer against treachery.

Yeap, I am going to re-spec.

A paladin with Hermit's Hat and Righteous Soul is basically immune to all mind control effects. You have also a few items with Defiance/Loyal enchantments which can be further comboed with the Snowcap drug...

That's way too many talent points to deal with this problem though. I already have Aegis of Loyalty, will get Sacred Immolation, and then Righteous Soul on top of that? I want him to do some DPS, too! ;)

A paladin with Hermit's Hat and Righteous Soul is basically immune to all mind control effects. You have also a few items with Defiance/Loyal enchantments which can be further comboed with the Snowcap drug...

That's way too many talent points to deal with this problem though. I already have Aegis of Loyalty, will get Sacred Immolation, and then Righteous Soul on top of that? I want him to do some DPS, too! ;)

I don't know what abilities your paladin has, but Righteous Soul is one of the best he has...  ;)

• Like 2

You mean poison and disease I guess.

You have a point because some mean afflictions can get applied by poison (paralyze via Lagufaeth blowdarts for example). The greatest thing is the -5 second duration. By the way: does that stack with Fenwalkers? You'd be the one who knows this. :)

But still: if you already have priest I'd still say that it's redundant.

And yes it's true - I consider all abilities/talents that strengthen defenses against afflictions as redundant as soon as you have a priest. That includes Aegis oL, Liberating Exh. and stuff, too.

I mentioned this because he has Durance in the party.

I think in such a case you should embrace the fact that a priest can make you immune to most afflictions and build the rest of your crew accordingly.

BUT of course it's very handy if you are a lazy player (as Lampros says he is :)) and/or want to spare spell uses even if you have a priest.

So it depends - as always. ;)

But good point about the poison/disease stuff. I have to admit I forgot about that because I don't use Right. Soul very often.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Excuse my interrupting layman's question: do you have to cast Immunity spells before you are hit by the affliction, or do they help after you are hit? Or are only the Cure affliction spells a solution then?

I haven't played the game often enough to know in advance what will hit me in a specific encounter, so I have as yet never used one of those immunity spells.

All I have done since this game came out is MC a Paladin (I get to play as the entire party anyway and its my fav class lol) and I am telling you that a Paladin is not very good "DPS" Until he/she gets Sacred Immolation.  Before that what they can do is Alpha Strike (and tank of course) and you only need TWO abilities for that.  Flames of Devotion and Sworn Enemy.

Righteous Soul is not only a defensive talent against mind control effects it also increases your defense against FEAR AND TERROR which are one of the most debilitating effects for the offense of every character.  A consistently feared or terrorized character will not hit a damn thing.  Especially on PoTD against bosses who have sky high defense.  So not only is Righteous Soul great against charms it is also significantly helps your offense by making fear and terror effects either miss or effect you for a very short duration. As a Paladin you will at MOST get hit by a fear never crit and if you do get hit it will turn into a graze thanks to Righteous Soul or a graze will basically be a miss. 

Its not just a defensive talent.  That being said if you get a certain soul bound late game sword it makes you immune to fear and terror but its a 1hander if you want to alpha you will have to switch to a bigger hitting weapon and you will be susceptible to fear and terror.

PS I realize you can use a priest spell or scrolls to be immune.  I have logged too many hours in this game and I am telling you that redundancy in defenses isn't a bad thing.  Your priest will not ALWAYS be able to cast what you need because he could be in a bad spot and CCed or you rather have him casting offensive ACC spells and practically being immune to fear and terror is great.  Lastly its an AEO in a dragon fight where the priest is VERY far away from your tanks because you do not want him next to a dragon he will out of range.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.