Marking for a ranged/CC party member as melee

So I was thinking if I want to mark for a clutch CC on a dragon for Aloth and I am carrying Shame/Glory and have Coordinated Attacks what is the Critiria that has to be met?  He has to be the closest ally to me attacking the dragon but I do not have to be in melee range correct?  I just need to have the attack qued as he attacks correct? 

Have gun will travel.

If you are the marking paladin with Shame or Glory you have to attack the dragon in melee - best is to switch off AI and use auto attacks because he will not stop doing this until you command otherwise. The party member standing next to you will get the bonus. Melee range not required. If this is Aloth then Aloth gets the bonus, no matter if he uses spells or attacks otherwise. As long as he attacks the dragon and is the nearest others can not get the bonus.

The great thing is: if you turn off AI and use spells with several party members then most of the time they all get the bonus. Why is that? It's because after casting a spell the party member will usually immediately switch to idle mode, this freeing up the bonus for the next nearest party mwmber who attacks the dragon, too. If those are all casters and they all do this, they will all get the bonus if they are not casting at the exact same time (or to be precise: if their attack rolls don't happen at the same time).

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If you are the marking paladin with Shame or Glory you have to attack the dragon in melee - best is to switch off AI and use auto attacks because he will not stop doing this until you command otherwise. The party member standing next to you will get the bonus. Melee range not required. If this is Aloth then Aloth gets the bonus, no matter if he uses spells or attacks otherwise. As long as he attacks the dragon and is the nearest others can not get the bonus.

The great thing is: if you turn off AI and use spells with several party members then most of the time they all get the bonus. Why is that? It's because after casting a spell the party member will usually immediately switch to idle mode, this freeing up the bonus for the next nearest party mwmber who attacks the dragon, too. If those are all casters and they all do this, they will all get the bonus if they are not casting at the exact same time (or to be precise: if their attack rolls don't happen at the same time).

Do I actually have to be meleeing or just be attacking.  For instance Aloth is casting.  I Am standing next to Aloth but running to the dragon.  I am not in melee yet but the attack is qued.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Do I actually have to be meleeing or just be attacking.  For instance Aloth is casting.  I Am standing next to Aloth but running to the dragon.  I am not in melee yet but the attack is qued.

It will still count as soon as you have issued the attack order.