Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which RPG-story would you like to rewrite?

RPG Story Writing Fun

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2234 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Morrorwind and Skyrim.

For.... obvious reasons.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5077 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I have a lot of fun with Skyrim, but I don't really see it as a RPG. The Bethesda ES and FALLOUTS are almost a genre to themselves.

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2313 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning.

Awesome gameplay and visuals which is -sadly- coupled with a story that is so bad I can't even remember.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7594 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

And Throne of Bhaal would have been changed as follow:

- Bhaal takes over: Thought long about it, but as predictable as it would've been, Bhaal should have been the last boss of the series. The games were about his plans and I don't know why he just didn't take over of Amelyssan.

obvious answer: bhaal was dead.  

*shrug*

sure, bhaal had a plan to reconstitute himself, but amelyssan subverted the scheme.  bhaal weren't active directing the flow o' events cause, as already stated, he were dead.

to answer the larger question as to which crpg stories we would wanna rewrite, the answer is simple: none.  is any number o' crpg stories we believe fail or is harmed by poor writer choices, but would never choose to change 'em.  is not our stories, and if they became our stories we would be disappointed 'cause then we would know exact what were gonna happen, and where is the fun in that? 

we will note how we believe folks is inordinate focused on plot shortcomings in this thread, in spite o' reality o' plot being the least important aspect o' most crpg stories.  particular for fantasy, but also for most sci-fi, plot is tending to be o' marginal importance to the story.  is quixotic difficult to explain to folks, but is more to story than plot.  character development and setting is often more important than plot in the vast majority o' fantasy, which almost by definition has the reader embracing implausible plot. sure, plot is inextricable linked with other qualities, but could change minor and major aspects o' plot in most fantasy and sci-fi storytelling w/o much hurting or improving the actual story.

make folks care 'bout characters, and the author can do whatever the hell they want to with plot.  make the reader love protagonists and hate villains, or vice versa.  readers will accept and even forgive most any plot shortcoming if setting creates sense o' wonder and the characters breathe. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps  that said, am not certain what it is 'bout bis/obsidian and their inability to finish games.  have been almost universal disappointed with bis/obsidian conclusions, including the endings o' some o' our favorite games evar. 

• Bartimaeus likes this

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

@Chilloutman

Naaah, it's pretty good! You just have to take your time, because they try to deepen every aspect of it. But it can be a bit slow.

really? from what I seen it seems so much more ... cartoonish (and I don't mean aestetics) while old ones feels more... i don't know, gothic?

Huh. You sure you mean D:OS 2 and not D:OS 1? Because the graphics in 2 are way more realistic and the tone is way darker. I mean, there are Plant-design-armours, but even those look more realistic than the helmets in D:OS 1 (although I liked those too. Sometimes colour is just more fun). 

@SonicMage

Okay, Skyrim I can get, but why Morrorwind? Because it doesn't present it's story at all, while Skyrim tries, but fails?

@Katphood

Oooh, me too. I have a lot thoughts, but for me it comes down to shrink down the world and give the mainquest more focus.

@Gromnir

True, but it is still fun to read the reasoning of the others and a fun thought experiment for your own creative content (at least I like to do this, while working on other stuff. It also makes me appreciate the stuff I already like more). 

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1213 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't know why but I thought we are talking about Diablo 3. My bad
  • Bartimaeus, Malcador and Harry Easter like this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2593 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
World of WarCraft.
  • Malcador and Azdeus like this

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1013 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Dragon Age Inquisition

My rewrite:

Act 1: You are considered the prime suspect for the divine's death, even by the Inquisition. The only reason they haven't killed you is because you have the anchor and can close rifts and are therefore their only means of closing the breach. Cassandra is your 'parole officer', she's also in charge of keeping an eye on Solas (she includes Varric in these orders, even though he isn't). You aren't the leader of the Inquisition; you are a prisoner. (Since I don't have a budget I'd also throw in an option for you to attempt to run right at the beginning of the game. All it does is initiate a 10 second cut scene where you are killed while trying to make a break for it resulting in a Game Over.) The only areas you have access to are the Hinterlands, Val Royeaux, and Haven (in the actual game you have can go to the Storm Coast and Fallow Mire in act 1). The only reason they are letting you run around these open world zones is because they need you to close the rifts. Campsites aren't campsites, they're where you check in with the Inquisition (there's a timer that starts when traveling in between campsites and if you haven't checked in with them by the time it runs out they will send soldiers after you initiating a 10 second cut scene where you are killed). Solas, Cassandra, and Varric are the only companions available in act 1. During Corypheus' attack on Haven he succeeds in wiping out the Inquisition and reclaiming the anchor. Only you and whomever you have in your party at that time (which is the reason I only gave you just enough companions to have a full party, though like the actual game you can run around in that quest without a full party because it takes place in Haven) are the only people to (barely) escape.

Act 2: The Inquisition is gone, Orlais is being overrun by demons, the Grey Wardens are under Corypheus' control, and you have no base of operations. From this point you begin to build a network of spies (our new use for the agents of the Inquisition). While no one agent is plot essential, each one does have a unique background and personality. Corypheus is still after you, and you are on the run. Gathering these agents, tracking down leads to find out more about Corypheus, and closing the occasional rift with the residual power of the mark (its hand wavey, but its a BioWare game and if they can hand wave 100,000 people magically having the means and want to needed to travel to Andromeda to . . . you know, like, see stuff, then I'm not too concerned about this little plot hole) are the new reasons for the open world zones.

Act 3: You eventually discover that there's a magical ritual that can temporarily multiply the power of your mark, meaning that you could use it to nullify Corypheus' anchor. Its complex and requires lots of time and space to setup so you have to draw out Corypheus to a prepared spot, ideally without his demon army. Thus begins the long task of theatrically using your mark in public to undo Corypheus' rifts in open defiance while still on the run from his armies. You mange to use your agents to sabotage one of Corypheus' strongholds and personally close one of his main rifts right in front of a group of enslaved peasants. Feed up with the display, Corypheus decides comes out of hiding to attack you head on (he wants to show the world that he isn't afraid of you). Corypheus triggers the trap but at the height of the battle the Red Templars catch up to their master and disrupt the magical ritual. Corypheus pulls the entire stronghold with him into the Fade where he throws demons and nightmares at you (they kill indiscriminately, so those helpful Red Templars meet an untimely death). You go on a chase through the Fade after Corypheus. These zones are half puzzle mini game like the Fade in Origins. Each time you nearly corner Corypheus, he uses the anchor to shift where in the Fade you are. In each Fade zone you can either befriend or enslave a spirit to aid you. After cornering Corypheus you use the spirits to harass him when he attempts to shift once more. In Corypheus' exhaustion and lack of focus he missuses the anchor and tears himself part, destroying the anchor in the process. As the anchor's power explodes outward you channel the last of it through your residual mark to help you and your companions escape the Fade.

End Game: Going around zone to zone and killing respawning demons and closing rifts, so basically what DA:I was to begin with.

• Harry Easter, EbonyBetty and Hulk'O'Saurus like this

EbonyBetty

EbonyBetty

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Welp, Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age Inquisition have been called out. Time to bring in the Red Headed Step-Child of the DA series

Dragon Age 2

In the concept art it's implied that Hawke was supposed have tattoos like Fenris had. For those that don't know or purged your memory of Dragon Age 2 ( I don't blame you). Fenris was forcibly tattooed against his will with lyrium-infused ink. Lyrium is basically the mana of DA world is made out of the decomposed bodies of dead titans. This act granted Fenris temporary invulnerability, resistances to magic, and super strength (the famous scene of how you meet Fenris is is him literally punching a guy's heart clean through the otherside of him.) Now, I'm in the minority of most DA fangirls, I ****ing hated Fenris. He was an interesting concept on a bland character and it was clear that the tattoos were a hold-over from something else because he's story about those tattoos go literally nowhere.     

Instead I think DA2 should have opened with Hawke (yes I'm keeping the fixed name character but I feel Hawke could be either Elf or Human and can be either Mage, Warrior, or Rouge), selling themselves in indentured servitude, to pay for their families' trip away from war-torn Ostagar.  They're ultimately tricked and sold into actual slavery and literally the first scene the player sees/plays is their player-character trying to escape Mad Max Fury Road opening-style from this Tevinter organization and ultimately getting caught, tied down and painfully tattoed with lyrium ink. The camera doesn't skimp on the gore and the last thing the player sees is the camera panning up with Hawke's muffled screams.

'Cause this Hawke ain't no punk, they escape. Either sneaking out and only having to kill a couple of people or going on a full bloody rampage.

Honestly the whole 1st act should be thrown away. No underground expedition and making it rich. Hawke is alone and trying to figure out how the hell they can get back to their family. They ultimately get picked up by the Qunari ship and is treated like this oddity. Storm happens and the Qun ship crashes into the Kirkwall port. BAM! we're already rollin' with the Qunari/Kirkwall conflict.

I have more ideas, but I gotta go off to class. ADD MORE IF YOU GUYS WANNA    

• ShadySands and Harry Easter like this

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

Welp, Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age Inquisition have been called out. Time to bring in the Red Headed Step-Child of the DA series

Dragon Age 2

In the concept art it's implied that Hawke was supposed have tattoos like Fenris had. For those that don't know or purged your memory of Dragon Age 2 ( I don't blame you). Fenris was forcibly tattooed against his will with lyrium-infused ink. Lyrium is basically the mana of DA world is made out of the decomposed bodies of dead titans. This act granted Fenris temporary invulnerability, resistances to magic, and super strength (the famous scene of how you meet Fenris is is him literally punching a guy's heart clean through the otherside of him.) Now, I'm in the minority of most DA fangirls, I ****ing hated Fenris. He was an interesting concept on a bland character and it was clear that the tattoos were a hold-over from something else because he's story about those tattoos go literally nowhere.     

Instead I think DA2 should have opened with Hawke (yes I'm keeping the fixed name character but I feel Hawke could be either Elf or Human and can be either Mage, Warrior, or Rouge), selling themselves in indentured servitude, to pay for their families' trip away from war-torn Ostagar.  They're ultimately tricked and sold into actual slavery and literally the first scene the player sees/plays is their player-character trying to escape Mad Max Fury Road opening-style from this Tevinter organization and ultimately getting caught, tied down and painfully tattoed with lyrium ink. The camera doesn't skimp on the gore and the last thing the player sees is the camera panning up with Hawke's muffled screams.

'Cause this Hawke ain't no punk, they escape. Either sneaking out and only having to kill a couple of people or going on a full bloody rampage.

Honestly the whole 1st act should be thrown away. No underground expedition and making it rich. Hawke is alone and trying to figure out how the hell they can get back to their family. They ultimately get picked up by the Qunari ship and is treated like this oddity. Storm happens and the Qun ship crashes into the Kirkwall port. BAM! we're already rollin' with the Qunari/Kirkwall conflict.

I have more ideas, but I gotta go off to class. ADD MORE IF YOU GUYS WANNA    

Love this, hate Fenris too, but also liked his concept (and the idea of having guys like him being an type of enemy. He also would have worked better as an antagonist).

I will write stuff down about DA: I, because it goes a bit in another direction, but I have some thoughts on DA2, too. 

I liked the story of the game, except for the ending and I would just rewrite two things:

Let Corypheus be a real character and give him a good build up: It is implied in the story, that Red Lyrium is the concentrated essence of sacrificed slaves of the Tevinter Empire. Kirkwall was the biggest market for slaves, Corypheus was imprisoned under the city and one of the magisters, that entered the City in the Fade. So why not combine those four aspects into one?

In this version Corypheus was the Lord of Kirkwall, but got mad and was imprisoned by rebells. Over the centuries he could feel the pain of the slaves and mages, that died in the dungeons of Kirkwall, feel their suffering, hear the pleas for redemption of the Lyrium addicted Templars. The Lyrium also started to grow into his skin, so the voices turned really loud. It got only worse over the reign of Archtemplar Meredith and the experiments of Orsinos secret circle of blood mages. A lot of blood flew into the streets of Kirkwalls and Anders big ritual is the last straw to finally let him free. Maybe Hawke gets caught in the explosion and Corypheus resuces him, because he sees a likeminded spirit in them and himself? We don't know, but he leaves the city, the souls of tens of thousand dead people in his head, ready to change Thedas for the better, even if it doesn't want it.

I think this would fit good into the whole "sins, hate and miscommunication" - theme of the whole game and give Corypheus a certain aura of mystery around him. It would also be a good payoff, for all the hints the game spread through in-game documents.

Lets us choose one ending and live with it:  I never liked that we fought Meredith and Orsino no matter what we choose. I found it kind of cowardly. Either we live with our choice, or we don't. And it is still a bit hasty, that Orsino loses all his cool and turns into a big monster.

or

Meredith should be the final boss: If it doesn't change anything, stay with Meredith as the solidary antagonist. She had a good build-up and an interesting polarising personality and I like the idea, that she really loses it when she sees that Corypheus is HER fault. Maybe it is even Corypheus, who uses his magic, so she gets transformed by all the red Lyrium in her body she might have consumed over the year? It would be a good example of his might and there's kind of poetic irony in this transformative act.

Edited by Harry Easter, 12 February 2018 - 05:55 AM.

• EbonyBetty likes this

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9205 posts
Near the end of MotB, main character should have the possibility to use spirit-eater power to force Kelemvor unto the Prime Material Plane where you kill his avatar (a mere fighter 30/cleric 25/mage 28) with the rest of your ~level 30 party.

Edited by HoonDing, 06 February 2018 - 01:45 AM.

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

Since part 2 is almost here, I wrote some ideas on

Pillars of Eternity 1

I wouldn't change much, because I found the first and third act very strong. Act 1 introduced us to the Dyrwood and the mentality of it's people and the bigger themes of the story, while act 3 had with the best quests and gave the narrative a very good conclusion and a good glimpse how different Eora really can be.

The second act was the weakest thought, but only three of the two bigger quests and those I would rewrite. Well them and 

Put more flashbacks into the game: at least one for every quest we ended. It worked in the Asylum and after the process and gave our backstory and Thaos real depth. A bit more interaction between our old self and the hight priest would've been fine. Besides, I enjoyed talking with the old madman.

Okay, now to the two main-quest:

Dyrford: I would just combine the Skaen Subplot with the actual interactings with the temple. In this case the Leader of the Skaencultists would've been an Agent of the Leaden Key who unites upset Dyrwoodians to kill as much Natives and Animancers as possible, so the soulsucking machine gets more food faster and the gap between Glanfathans and Dyrwoodians becomes even bigger than it is now. Throw in a little talk with Skaen himself and the player would have got hints, that the gods aren't as unimpeachable as the players may have thought and the gods of rebells in the service of servants of the goddess of order would also have been a big hint that the masters can also be the slaves.

Heritage Hill: This one is tricky, because nothing really happens in the end, we really don't know more about the spires than before. But it could start with a murder and the belief that a Fampyr was behind it. The player investigates and finds out, that the suspect was a businessman that traded in glanfanthan artefacts and put a lot of his money into founding animancy and peace treaties with the natives. He was also the servant of a fampyr, who controlled him behind the curtain. The Fampyr was once themselve a member of the Leaden Key, but had to flee, when they couldn't overthrow Thaos. The murder was orchestrated by a high official of Defiance Bay, who wants to discredit the dead and all he stood for. This quest could bring some complexity into the story, working with an shadowy creature who IS a real threat to mortals, but also show how the Leaden Key is undermining the gouvernment of the Palinate. After the awesome animancy of Thaos and the cult-activity of Dyrford, this could be a fun murder investigation with a lot oppurtunities for roleplay. 

Edited by Harry Easter, 12 March 2018 - 07:18 AM.

• Ophiuchus and Hulk'O'Saurus like this

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

Okay, now some thoughts on

Dragon Age: Inquisition

This game didn't need a very complicated mainquest, since most of it is considered to spend on buildung your little Empire. Most of my ideas would have changed the beginning a bit and Corypheus plans and his followers

1) Give the Inquisitor a real backstory: In this case we are the newest pupil of the Divine, who was raised to be a leading figure to either keep the Fereldans in check, who got more ****y after finding the Ashes of Andraste (human Origin) or convert mages back (mage Origin) or bring heathens (Dwarves, Qunari, Elves)into the church. It would have give us a clearer connection to her and also provide us some Origins, since we are not an Orlesian. In the beginning of the game she would send us on our first missions so the population could get a good look at us and we can meet the other party members. It would be a slicker entrance and we had some time to get a feel for the world. Then Corypheus blows up the meeting between Mages and Templars ...

2) Corypheus, his plans and how he blew everything up: Corypheus used the Red Lyrium Statue of Meredith as kind of a false prophet, channelling Souls into the Red Lyrium she was made off (the souls used her as their mouthpiece). And after he was sure that his enemies were in one place he blew it up through magic. This is also the reason, why the portal to the Fade appeared. After killing the Leaders of Church, Templars and rebell Mages, Corypheus steals the Ashes of Andraste and calls it a day.

His plan? Being a deeply religious person Corypheus wants to make ammends and give the people the world they deserve, by summoning the ghost of Andraste (that's why he needed her Ashes), imprison her in one big Elder Dragon (maybe one of the Archdemons) and feeding it with Red Lyrium, pure magic and Souls, creating an anchor in this world. Itshall became an item of worship the desperate Orlesians can pray to, so he can collect their prayers and the resulting magic for the biggest Blood Ritual ever. A Ritual which will kill thousands of people, but reshape the face of reality, since the Fade makes everything possible. Corypheus knows that he will die too, but it is a small price to give everyone the paradies they deserve. He believes in the ritual, since it seemed to worked when the elves used it the first time ...

3) Corypheus followers: Templars, Mages, Grey Wardens who don't want to die and Dark Spawn, enhanced with Red Lyrium and possessed by Demons. He also controls them through Red Lyrium, That's it, what more do you need?

And the Architect hates him for using the other Spawns, so he has a reason to reappear and give some exposition about him to the player.

Edited by Harry Easter, 14 July 2018 - 04:55 AM.

• redneckdevil likes this

Hulk'O'Saurus

Hulk'O'Saurus

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 166 posts

Since part 2 is almost here, I wrote some ideas on

Pillars of Eternity 1

I wouldn't change much, because I found the first and third act very strong. Act 1 introduced us to the Dyrwood and the mentality of it's people and the bigger themes of the story, while act 3 had with the best quests and gave the narrative a very good conclusion and a good glimpse how different Eora really can be.

The second act was the weakest thought, but only three of the two bigger quests and those I would rewrite. Well them and 

Put more flashbacks into the game: at least one for every quest we ended. It worked in the Asylum and after the process and gave our backstory and Thaos real depth. A bit more interaction between our old self and the hight priest would've been fine. Besides, I enjoyed talking with the old madman.

Okay, now to the two main-quest:

Dyrford: I would just combine the Skaen Subplot with the actual interactings with the temple. In this case, the Leader of the Skaencultists would've been an Agent of the Leaden Key, who unites upset Dyrwoodians, to kill as much Natives and Animancers as possible, so the soulsucking machine gets more food faster and the gap between Glanfathans and Dyrwoodians becomes even bigger than it is now. Throw in a little talk with Skaen himself and the player would have got hints, that the gods aren't as unimpeachable as the players may have thought and the gods of rebells in the service of servants of the goddess of order would also have been a big hint, that the masters can also be the slaves.

Heritage Hill: This one is tricky, because nothing really happens and in the end, we really don't know more about the spires than before. But it could start with a murder and the belief, that Fampyr was behind it. The player investigates and finds out, that the suspect was a businessman that traded in glanfanthan artefacts and put a lot of his money into founding animancy and peace treaties with the natives. He was also the servant of a fampyr, who controlled him behind the curtain. The Fampyr was once themselve a member of the Leaden Key, but had to flee, when they couldn't overthrow Thaos.  The murder was orchestrated by a high official of Defiance Bay, who wants to discredit the dead and all he stood for. This quest could bring some complexity into the story, working with an shadowy creature who IS a real threat to mortals, but also show how the Leaden Key is undermining the gouvernment of the Palinate. After the awesome animancy of Thaos and the cult-activity of Dyrford, this could be a fun murder investigation with a lot oppurtunities for roleplay. 

I am pretty sure that at a point in time they had some awesome ideas about various different plots and subplots for the game. I can quite literally see how they were cutting and cutting from the story and exposition in order to make it as brief as possible. I suspect that the team was doing so in order to make it safer for more people to play, so to speak. I am not against those ideas. In fact, I like them a lot. But I think they were just doing thing with a lot of brevity in mind. 

• Harry Easter likes this

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
I am pretty sure that at a point in time they had some awesome ideas about various different plots and subplots for the game. I can quite literally see how they were cutting and cutting from the story and exposition in order to make it as brief as possible. I suspect that the team was doing so in order to make it safer for more people to play, so to speak. I am not against those ideas. In fact, I like them a lot. But I think they were just doing thing with a lot of brevity in mind. 

I know what you mean. Most gamewriting seems to be about sliming down a story, so it becomes playable. And like I said, the story of Pillars 1 was good and that's why I only tried to tweak minor details in act 2 ... well and two more flashbacks would have been nice :D. 

• Hulk'O'Saurus likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2234 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Been playing Mass Effect 2 and like many have said before me, there's just aloy that needs to be fixed. It's definitely the better of the 4 games but I could rewrite a few things to make the story make more sense...
  • Harry Easter likes this

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

Hmm, I thought a bit about Fallout 3 yesterday and what SonicMage117 wrote about the Bethesdagames last year. To be honest, in hindsight I think that we could conclude the series perfectly with Fallout 2, New Vegas adding a bit more stuff to get a more nuanced epilogue (or what they planned in Van Buren). That's one of the reason why I considered Fallout 3 more of an Spin-Off, that was fun, but didn't destroy the previous games much since it concentrated on it's own region.

Only two things really annoyed me, was the return of the Enclave as a strong faction and the more open nostalgia to american history (which wasn't really a thing in the first two games).

But I gave it some thoughts and came up with a few ideas to explain the big presence of the Enclave and how to implement the theme of an America, that never was.

Fallout 3

Your playercharacter is a patriot: Better yet, he was born in Vault 50, the most patriotic of all the vaults, whose inhabitants were fed even the most absurde propaganda the higher ups could think of ("There's a reason, the rich are rich. They brought applepie to the ignorant working class and all was well!"), so they would be loyal workers, who do the dirty work in the rebuilding process. One day the Vault opens and Soldiers of the Enclave are at the doorstep. They need recruits for their fight against mutants and anarchistic-communists and your vault was chosen! Your character is part of the first wave of recruits, but your Vetibird gets shot down and you awake in the middle of the wastes and now you have to find your way in an America, that isn't what the propagandavids promised you since you were born.

I think we could even let the whole childhood-part stay, since it would still be a good method to show what the Vault (and the Enclave) believed to be the real american experience.

The Enclave isn't really the Enclave: They are just a bunch of Raiders, that got their hands on Power Armour and Blasterrifles, after Supercomputer Eden recruited them for his purposes. After the destruction of the HQ, Eden got activated and spread his propaganda wherever he could. The biggest gang in Washington, the Eagles, were the first to answer and under the guidance of the Supercomputer they created their version of the new gouvernment and really believe to be the good guys. Too bad, that President Eden still wants to kill them off with the other mutants, since they aren't pure humans  in it's eyes. Edens longterm plans are to open all the Vaults in the Washington Area and repleace it's "mutant" followers with Vaultdwellers and finding Vault 5, a storage facility, where thousands of fertilized eggs of humans and animals are stored.

The new Enclave would naturally consist of racist pricks, since those guys never change, no matter who wears the armour.

President Eden believes every word he says: ... even the stuff about apple pie. It makes sense for me, that an A.I. that is filled with Data about an false Utopia, would consider everything beneath the standards of the old world. That's why he isn't only a moustache twirling badguy, but the last surviving "real" American in Fallout, a classicist and racist, who dreams of rebuilding the world the same way it was before. That this isn't possible (because of all the radiation and stuff) could turn him crazy, so he may try to activate old satelites in the orbits and bomb the world for good away.

The Brotherhood of Steel members in Washington were banished from the main-chapter: After the destruction of the Enclave, one group felt that it was up to the Brotherhood to unite the Wasteland, but they were banished, so the flew with Veti-Birds from Navorro to the capital Wasteland. Their plan is to get the technology of the Enclave and create basically the same state as them, but without killing mutants ... well, at least not the human looking ones. 

If the player plays it smart, he can change the course of the Brotherhood, since in contrast to the Enclave, enough member critisize the old ways and how stagnant the Brotherhood has become in the last 200 years.

The Enclave created their own Supermutants: Or to be more precised, one of the Vault-experiments finally came to fruition. Vault 96 was filled with soldiers and their families, to breed the perfect soldiers for establishing order in the Wasteland. The soldiers trained their whole life, it was mandatory to spend eggs and sperms so the reserves were secure and the food was full of experimental drugs and steroids. Over the centuries the inhabitants of Vault became faster, stronger, smarter, BIGGER and BALD. So bald and BIG. After a long wait the Vault finally opened and they were ready to fight the good fight. Too bad, that they have forgotten their old goals and history and now consider fighting the greatest thing in live. They kill everyone, they don't consider to be good slaves (or breeding material) and a Supersoldier in a power armour is an unstoppable force and even one of their naked recruits is still a dangerous enemy for everyone, who isn't a trained soldier. And who is, in this time and age ...

Edited by Harry Easter, 10 April 2018 - 05:15 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RPG, Story, Writing, Fun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users