Help for barbarian build not item dependent

Hi,

I have little experience with this game and I plan to play a barbarian in hard mode. I have WM1 and WM2.

I like to use any weapon and item that I find on my way. Do you think that I will gimp myself a lot if I don't take any weapon focus and any weapon style talent for my character?

How would you build a barbarian not specific item dependent and not squishy dps (just a bit off tank because I don't like glass canon characters in melee) barbarian in hard mode?

Note : for roleplay purpose, frenzy is an important ability for me, so I can't play a barbarian without it :)

For stats I'm thinking about that:

Thank you for your help

(English is not my native language)

Before Heart of Fury I would advise slightly higher if not max Dex and as already mentioned 2handed, preferebaly Firebrand. :p

If you don't mind always resting at an inn with at least +2 Mi and getting the dwarven whore bonus for +2 Mi and eating food before fight and using Frenzy you can get away with lower Mi than 16:

If you want low fuzz then

15/15/15/15/15/03

is good. If you have a priest you should cast Holy Meditation for the barb from time to time if you like to put him into the midst of it instead attacking from the flanks.

I would never skip Weapon Focus. Accuracy is the most important thing in the game and taking WF early makes the game noticably easier because it stacks with every other ACC buff. It's not a must though.

A VERY weapon independent barb is one who uses Novice's Suffering (fists). It's an absolutely viable option.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks for your answers. So these stats would be better?

Yes but only if you get the mentioned Might bonuses before harder fights (inn, whore, food) which will give you +6/7 but involves a little traveling.

With Frenzy you will have 20/22 (21/23 with stronghold) Mi that way without item bonuses, with a +3 Belt/Helmet, Gift from the machine amd Galawain's boon you will have up to 29 Mi even tho your base Mi is 10. :)

edit: also keep in mind this is only before level 11 when you get HoF. If you have Heart of Fury dual wieldinbg and dumping Dex and maxing Mi is way stronger.

Edited by Raven Darkholme

To be honest, I forgot that I can respec my character (when I played the game a few years ago, this option was not implemented). I didn't want to be stuck with a weapon if I found a better one, but if I can respec it's not a big issue.

So I'm finally up for a weapon focus.

But I don't like builds made around specific items, since I didn't get far in the game and I played a long time ago, so I don't know where these items are. Moreover even if I knew where they are located, I don't want to rush to a specific area in the game to get these items.

I like these stats proposed by Boeroer: 15/15/15/15/15/03

It sounds like taking benefit of Barb strength (high hp pool). My deflection can't be good anyway.

It's also more comfortable if I don't have to sleep in Inn everytime and eat food before each fights.

Edited by Miaouss
  • Like 1

To be honest, I forgot that I can respec my character (when I played the game a few years ago, this option was not implemented). I didn't want to be stuck with a weapon if I found a better one, but if I can respec it's not a big issue.

So I'm finally up for a weapon focus.

But I don't like builds made around specific items, since I didn't get far in the game and I played a long time ago, so I don't know where these items are. Moreover even if I knew where they are located, I don't want to rush to a specific area in the game to get these items.

I like these stats proposed by Boeroer: 15/15/15/15/15/03

It sounds like taking benefit of Barb strength (high hp pool). My deflection can't be good anyway.

It's also more comfortable if I don't have to sleep in Inn everytime and eat food before each fights.

Yeah, if you don't play with meta information Boeroers suggestions are much better.

Just watch out with the low resolution: you will be easily interrupted when you stand surrounded by enemies. It's not too bad with decent DEX, but it can be annoying against numerous and fast hitting enemies (e.g. Wichts). So in such cases either go flanking or get Holy Meditation from a priest - or get lucky and find Celebrant's Gloves (trigger Holy Meditation by themselves and give you 10% more Carnage range). Later you will find items that give you concentration passively.

Against enemies with somewhat normal attack speed it's no problem though.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods