The Gadget Thread

Guard Dog

Yes, I know we have a forum for this kind of thing. But it does not get a lot of traffic.And it's pretty computer centric in a world where computers are becoming a smaller and smaller piece of the Consumer Electronics pie. This thread is for all things electronic.

I've been very interested in this one. I've been watching it's development closely:

https://youtu.be/34I27KPZM6g

https://remarkable.com/

I could really make use of this. I'm sort of old school and still do a LOT of my work longhand. I use Excel and Quattro Pro a lot but when it comes to notes, documents, etc that I write they usually start hand written in notebooks.

The pros are obvious but the cons give me pause.

1. It's not out yet. And they just announced the first shipment has been delayed: https://blog.remarkable.com/get-set-for-remarkable-first-batch-shipping-date-confirmed-704b0c1e8f52
  2. It only syncs with iOS. If you are not an apple user you are SOL. You will have to port documents using flash devices. It's compatability with Android, Windows, & Linux is limited right now
  3. No apps,. Their OS is proprietary and by design they are limiting the functionality. Oddly I can see the appeal of this kind of spartan design decisions. I am easily distracted when one of my apps pops up a new news item or story or message.
  4. Limited formats for opening documents from elsewhere. It looks like it will open .pdf .txt. .rtf or pub.
  5. This thing is seriously expensive. Over $600 US I believe.

Despite all that I am intrigued.

Does anyone know of a similar product or know anyone that has ordered on of these?

• Like 9

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/vacuum-cleaner-was-harder-invent-you-might-think-180964631/

is not exact what gd intended, but Gromnir were intrigued by the story.  technology making a practical vacuum cleaner were available for many years, but the only success were a device so large it needed be pulled by horses or placed on a truck. then a sixty-year-old janitor with asthma, tired o' coughing all the time, solved the problem o' making a genuine portable vacuum cleaner suitable for home use.

impressive gadget.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

is likely everybody knew 'bout this gadget before Gromnir did, but am gonna share anyway.

41m223Ip1kL._SX355_.jpg

ok, is not actual the gadget itself

http://lifehacker.com/144852/cook-with-a-pants-hanger.

most o' our recipes is in plastic sheathes kept in 3-ring binders.  hang the recipe on a cabinet handle is so obvious, but never occurred to us. saw last year for firstest time and felt kinda embarrassed.  probable last guy to learn the hanger bit.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Am thinking about it, mostly for the music streaming, despite the words 'first of its kind' and the half-pound bulk. Designed by a company here in SD, a helmet-mounted HUD--head-up display creating a virtual image floating 4m in front, line of sight.

With standalone GPS, Bluetooth 4.0, wireless LAN, 1080p camera for video/stills, accelerometer, gyroscope, altimeter, smartphone-grade CPU/memory, 8-hour rechargeable battery, headset, mic ...

https://vimeo.com/223851034

Always check tire pressure like this guy before leaving the garage. His phone map shows a route from PB to Palomar Mountain. 

All Stop. On Screen.

If they can get that down to microwave prices, I can see one in every home.

Agreed.  The usefulness speaks for itself, the price point will determine whether this is a luxury item that only wealthy people purchase or if it becomes ubiquitous.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If they can get that down to microwave prices, I can see one in every home.

and sizes.  outside of box is actual a fair bit bigger than microwave size, (six inches in one dimension adds a whole lot o' extra total volume) but is a bit cramped insofar as functional use inside.  create enough demand and am having no doubt the tech can be made smaller and cheaper.  

HA! Good Fun!

• 8 months later...

Not exactly electronic but I love archery and this is pretty innovative. I'm not sure about the concept of "take-down" arrows though. The inserts in the middle would probably screw up the balance and air resistance profile. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BSNaqGhLqg&feature=youtu.be

Thomas Sowell

OK, I might swear at Siri but at least she never did this to me: http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/social/amazon-alexa-spying-family-private-conversation-then-sent-it-to-someone-else-5190466/

Watch what you say around Alexa. She isn't your friend!

Thomas Sowell

I want that remarkable tablet.

It's like a kindle on steroids, I'm surprised Amazon hasn't come out with something like that yet.

It's been out for six months now. The reviews are pretty good. And they seems to be selling well since there is a 60 day delay in shipping. But, what puts me off isn't the price. It what it can't do. Namely convert my hand written documents to print. If it could do that I'd be all in even at that price point.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I want that remarkable tablet.

It's like a kindle on steroids, I'm surprised Amazon hasn't come out with something like that yet.

It's been out for six months now. The reviews are pretty good. And they seems to be selling well since there is a 60 day delay in shipping. But, what puts me off isn't the price. It what it can't do. Namely convert my hand written documents to print. If it could do that I'd be all in even at that price point.

It also seems like it doesn't have a back light. I'd love to basically have this dual-role as my kindle-paperwhite. While the paperwhite is far better for just reading since it's small, I might not want to carry both devices and may need a backlight for reading.

Hopefully they have a second generation line in the works, or hopefully someone (Amazon?) buys them out and incorporates all the latest tech into it. I could do with higher dpi as well, and while that screen looks to have a great response and refresh rate It could be better. I'm sure it's a fine balance though for such a niche device to stay economical.

I guess I say all this because the price is still steep for me, and I can hold off. But this is practically the ultimate device for me, I love devices that cut-away all the modern busyness of the world. Which is what this does, it's "the basics 2.0" essentially.

• 3 weeks later...

This just strikes me as very cool. I don't use tablets much. In fact the only one I do really use is a Kindle Paperwhite which isn't really a tablet. But if i did I'd buy this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elretron/penna-retro-bluetooth-keyboard-starting-as-low-as

Thomas Sowell

• 4 weeks later...

Thomas Sowell